Emoticons for Olds

4,656 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Maroonedinaustin
Kool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
InB4 TL;DR
Self deprecation warning as well

Just got embarrassed at work. Was discussing a tongue cancer patient via text with a young colleague (in a HIPAA-compliant manner). Patient works for a dentist who was giving her rinses for what turns out was a cancer. I told him that the dentist had been dicking around with it for a while, figuratively and not literally since the cancer was HPV-negative.
Young colleague sends me back a text with an emoticon that I'd never seen.
I didn't at all recognize what he was sending me, so I asked my 27-year-old office manager what that meant. Her eyes got huge and she took a step back before telling me that it was a picture of an eggplant and what that meant to people of her age. She says she has to Millennial translate for her Mom all of the time, kind of brushed it off.
Aye caramba. What other land mines are out there that I'm unaware of? Gotta be careful in this day and age of #metoo, or Poundmetoo, or whatever the ****ters do.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chipotle
Back in my day we popped in an AOL cd in the ol computer and messaged diq pics like normal people. What's wrong with kids these days?
Woody2006
AG
Several emoticons have sexual connotations

Eggplant = cock
Peach = booty
Cherries = *****
Smiling devil = horny
MouthBQ98
AG
In the eye of the beholder. I'm a pretty sarcastic, but also strangely literal. If I send an emoticon, which is rare, it is also representing matter of factly what it appears to be and not some moronic urban dictionary stupidity some cabal of dorky kiddos that talk like California valley girls from the early 80's made up.
ac04
rule 1 on the office manager so i can determine if you showed her the eggplant "by accident" as you claim
Kool
AG
ac04 said:

rule 1 on the office manager so i can determine if you showed her the eggplant "by accident" as you claim
I'm trying to REDUCE, not INCREASE, my chances of a #metoo situation.
Besides, I'm old. Eggplant would not, sadly, be an adequate representation of the situation downstairs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tecolote
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

In the eye of the beholder. I'm a pretty sarcastic, but also strangely literal. If I send an emoticon, which is rare, it is also representing matter of factly what it appears to be and not some moronic urban dictionary stupidity some cabal of dorky kiddos that talk like California valley girls from the early 80's made up.
Gnarly, man. Barf out. Don't be so tubular.
Arthur Stilwell
Kool said:

ac04 said:

I'm trying to REDUCE, not INCREASE, my chances of a #metoo situation.
Besides, I'm old. Eggplant would not, sadly, be an adequate representation of the situation downstairs.
May I introduce you to this thread about raisins?

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/2947328
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So if my wife sends me an eggplant, peaches and smiling devil I can infer I am getting lucky tonight and not that we are having casserole, peach cobbler, and deviled eggs for dinner?
Eliminatus
AG
Brennus said:

So if my wife sends me an eggplant, peaches and smiling devil I can infer I am getting lucky tonight and not that we are having casserole, peach cobbler, and deviled eggs for dinner?

If marriage < 6 months, flip a coin.

If more, then no.
Woody2006
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

So you would be sending an eggplant emoji to someone and expecting them to assume you meant an actual eggplant?
80s Guy
Och26-58-87 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Gnarly, man. Barf out. Don't be so tubular.

Like, Gag me with a spoon!

dcAg
Why didnt you just google it?
duffelpud
AG
"What's this button do?"
swc93
AG
dcAg said:

Likely asked Siri and got a vague and confusing response.
Kool
AG
dcAg said:

I didn't even recognize the emoticon as an eggplant. On my phone, it was small. Looked like a chili pepper. Did I mention I'm old????
CrottyKid
AG
I lol'd at #metoo = pound me to! So all of those ladies wanted a pounding? I was WAY off!
PrincessButtercup
AG
Woody2006 said:

Eggplant = cock
Peach = booty
Cherries = *****
Smiling devil = horny

All correct. Also the three raindrops are, um, ... finishing.
Woody2006
AG
I didn't say it was an exhaustive list.
Iowaggie
AG
I'm thinking this would be a funny one to drop on them.

Atreides Ornithopter
AG

Drawkcab
Help me with this one. I downloaded a keyboard app looking for naughty emojis to send the wife. I was looking for a pair of sexy panties, couldn't find any, decided to search for "pajamas" instead. When I got as far as "paja" this popped up:

8=====D

I know what that is, but what does it have to do with "paja"?

Edit: Well that didn't work. In the middle there's supposed to be a closed fist and at the end some tears.

Edit 2: Nevermind, figured it out. OP, go ask your office manager.
Kool
AG
Naah, I've learned my lesson. I'm done asking her, I'm going straight to TexAgs.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Please don't bring Larry into this conversation!!!
Krazykat
AG
Well, I guess I'm an official old because my emoticon use consists of rolling eyes or the angry face... that's it. I'm getting to be a pissed off old man at the world.
Caesar4
AG
IMO, emoticons are an order of magnitude worse than pronouns, in terms of their propensity for misunderstanding.

Best to use nouns (and few pronouns) and no emoticons at all.
Al Bula
AG
Kool said:

InB4 TL;DR
Self deprecation warning as well

Just got embarrassed at work. Was discussing a tongue cancer patient via text with a young colleague (in a HIPAA-compliant manner). Patient works for a dentist who was giving her rinses for what turns out was a cancer. I told him that the dentist had been dicking around with it for a while, figuratively and not literally since the cancer was HPV-negative.
Young colleague sends me back a text with an emoticon that I'd never seen.
I didn't at all recognize what he was sending me, so I asked my 27-year-old office manager what that meant. Her eyes got huge and she took a step back before telling me that it was a picture of an eggplant and what that meant to people of her age. She says she has to Millennial translate for her Mom all of the time, kind of brushed it off.
Aye caramba. What other land mines are out there that I'm unaware of? Gotta be careful in this day and age of #metoo, or Poundmetoo, or whatever the ****ters do.
username does not check out
maxag42
Sorry but I don't understand fully the story. I understand the emoticon, but I don't understand why he sent it to you or why you were embarrassed by it.

Did he want your eggplant? Or were you embarrassed that the office manager found out that your young colleague(her boyfriend) wanted your eggplant?
Kool
AG
Tongue cancers come in two flavors - related to smoking and alcohol versus HPV related, which relates to oral sex. When I told the guy the final path showed that the dentist was dicking around with her tongue in a figurative sense and that her cancer wasn't literally caused by his dicking around, he sent me the eggplant emoji with a laugh emoji. It's how young people communicate, apparently. It meant nothing to me, so I asked my office manager, who had come up to me to ask a question, what the emoji was and what it meant. She hadn't seen the rest of the thread, by my design. Her eyes got really big and she had to step back before answering. Make sense?
PoohAh97
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Woody2006 said:

Eggplant = cock
Peach = booty
Cherries = *****
Smiling devil = horny

Explains all the dirty looks I've been getting for starting with that.
PrincessButtercup
AG
PoohAh97 said:

PrincessButtercup said:

Woody2006 said:

Eggplant = cock
Peach = booty
Cherries = *****
Smiling devil = horny

Explains all the dirty looks I've been getting for starting with that.
fta09
AG
Some of you guys must have sucked at the context clues assignments in school.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Agreed. I'm on the back side of 40 and I knew what the eggplant meant as soon as I saw it the first time. I mean, in what world or context would anyone send an eggplant emoji, and actually intend for it to be an eggplant. I reckon a couple of eggplant farmers could be exchanging texts.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
chipotle said:

Back in my day we popped in an AOL cd in the ol computer and messaged diq pics like normal people. What's wrong with kids these days?
Lack of parenting skills:

agz win
AG
It's crazy to think some of y'all haven't ever ventured over to a grocery's produce section with your lady in mind. Eggplant, indeed.

And I thought it was the taco emoji instead of the cherries. i thought cherries repped gonads.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.