A TON of apartments

4,077 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TexasRebel
Dignan03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Holy crap, there are a bunch of apartments going in at A&M.

https://www.realpage.com/mpf-research/texas-florida-state-lead-top-universities-supply/
redd38
AG
Better increase enrollment to fill those apartments. I bet if the university paid off the fire marshal he'd let them squeeze even more students into each classroom.
The Collective
AG
Quote:

growing by a total of 12,700 students since 2011

Holy crap.
marble rye
AG
Talked to a guy at Muster today with two kids attending A&M. One senior and one soph.

Neither can get into their major-required upper level course bc they are full. Yikes.
redd38
AG
marble rye said:

Neither can get into their major-required upper level course bc they are full. Yikes.

Yep, that's an issue in many majors.
dds08
AG
marble rye said:

Talked to a guy at Muster today with two kids attending A&M. One senior and one soph.

What do they major in?
Ignatius_of_Silesia
I imagine its likely those liberal arts degrees. Those fill up fast.
hillcountryag86
AG
Both daughters graduate next December. Along with my son, we will have had a kid there 9 consecutive years. One daughter will apply to A&M nursing school....

Blasphemous, but I have Aggie fatigue.
Dignan03
So how many Aggie Dad stickers have you been through, hillcountryag86?

Seriously, you would think there would be enough room in courses given all the new buildings that have gone up on campus over the past 15 years. Looks like the private sector is at least responding to all the enrollment growth by building apartments
Tomdoss92
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

Both daughters graduate next December. Along with my son, we will have had a kid there 9 consecutive years. One daughter will apply to A&M nursing school....

And A&M appreciates your Aggie pride, loyalty, and, well we blush to say it, your

WaltonAg18
AG
Ignatius_of_Silesia said:

It's a pretty big issue in BIMS from what I've heard.
No one should have to work to survive. Your right to life should not depend solely on your ability to produce capital.
HollywoodBQ
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

I think my family had somebody continuously enrolled at Texas A&M from 1988 - 2017 except for about 8 years from 2005-2013 as we switched generations. Looks like it will be about 2020 before our next Aggie starts.

I'm actually happy that my youngest is NOT going to Texas A&M. I'm glad to have the break.
marble rye
AG
dds08 said:

marble rye said:

What do they major in?

One is a ME. The other is a business major.
PlanoMav18
AG
Also upper level math and economics
Gigemchicken90
AG
We started our first Aggie of the current generation in the fall of 01. We have had someone there every semester since then. In fact the tradition will continue with One finishing this May and one starting in August. #fuchsaggies
'90
Gigemchicken90
AG
I think the hash tag confused you. Our last name is Fuchs (fox).
'90
The Fife
University Dr was already unrecognizable when I drove through B/CS for the first time in over a decade in 2014, has it somehow managed to change a whole lot more since then?

Also I thought in the '90s into the early 2000s enrollment was somewhere in the low-40,000s?
NewOldAg
AG
CJS4715 said:

Quote:

Holy crap.

I started in 2011. I think Mays alone grew 33% in my five years on campus. I don't know the players involved but I'm convinced that there are real estate developers who are influencing the BOD and Legislature to stop enrollment caps. At this point, the real money to made exploiting students is in housing.

The city pretty much refuses to do the necessary infrastructure work to deal with the development that has happened. 5 o'clock traffic got better when I moved to Dallas after school.
Cholula Verde
AG
We just experienced what I refer to as "Ring Day Hooplah". Another parent told me "that circus is enough to fatigue anyone!"
Dr. Nefario
HollywoodBQ said:

hillcountryag86 said:

I think my family had somebody continuously enrolled at Texas A&M from 1988 - 2017 except for about 8 years from 2005-2013 as we switched generations. Looks like it will be about 2020 before our next Aggie starts.

I'm actually happy that my youngest is NOT going to Texas A&M. I'm glad to have the break.

This is the very opposite of continuous.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I don't know the players involved but I'm convinced that there are real estate developers who are influencing the BOD and Legislature to stop enrollment caps
You are not alone in that thought.
The Fife
FlyingMudball said:

We just experienced what I refer to as "Ring Day Hooplah". Another parent told me "that circus is enough to fatigue anyone!"
What hooplah? I thought on ring day you show up, wait in line to get your ring, then leave. Is this more about Northgate being a mess?
redd38
AG
https://today.tamu.edu/2018/04/19/texas-am-university-system-regents-approve-construction-plans-for-21st-century-classroom/

This new building will have a 630 seat classroom. 630!!! Just a matter of time before they start having freshmen classes in Kyle Field.
BenFiasco14
AG
Ignatius_of_Silesia said:

Hurr hurr. Actually no. It's required upper level courses for many engineering and business majors that cause the most headache.
WaltonAg18
AG
redd38 said:

https://today.tamu.edu/2018/04/19/texas-am-university-system-regents-approve-construction-plans-for-21st-century-classroom/

This new building will have a 630 seat classroom. 630!!! Just a matter of time before they start having freshmen classes in Kyle Field.
This is infuriating. You don't increase the value of something by handing it out to as many people as you can. They should be focused on upgrading the buildings that flood any time we get more than 4" of rain instead of these ridiculous things. What class needs 630 seats?!
No one should have to work to survive. Your right to life should not depend solely on your ability to produce capital.
NoahAg
CJS4715 said:

Quote:

Holy crap.

One reason I'll encourage my kids to go to Rice.
Oogway
Why do you think the City refuses to improve infrastructure? I got the feeling the City is in 'react' mode because they are the last to know. Fall semester comes and it is like, 'Oh, by the way, we've got 12,000 freshman in this years' class.' (And no I don't work for the City, but I live here) In the meantime, all of the construction vehicles from the Kyle Field renovation, to the hotel/garage to the massive apartments tear up the roads which unfortunately are maintained by both the City and TXDOT because they are FM roads. (TXDOT has a lot of hurricane affected roads to repair so they have a lot on their plate.) This construction brings $$ and jobs, but it does take its toll on the roads and the plans to redesign the traffic flow.

Not attacking you or anything, it is frustrating for those of us who live here too because the school grew so fast that the qualities that make Aggieland so enjoyable are playing catch-up to stay that way. I like for campus and the two cities to put their best foot forward and leave visitors and former students with the feeling of 'Wow! Great people, great place, this is the spirit of Aggieland.'
MouthBQ98
AG
It's become a giant ceremony like a graduation with big parties and parents and family AT the Former Student Center and then all over BCS. It's pretty crazy.
aggiepublius
AG
The big Ring days are now a whole big thing now where Parents, grandparents come in for weekend. It seems every girl has their dad there to slip it their finger - think of a groom does at the wedding (maybe guys do this as well but it seems the local tv news plays up the father daughter ones).

Vendors have special t-shirts for ring weekend on sales round town. Tons of photos with cutesy signs taken around the big ring sculpture. Parents have parties where some redunk their rings alongside their kids. Dj's.
TexasRebel
AG
A single apartment weighs a ton at least.

So... 2?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.