Traffic Flows

2,663 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wildman15
Athanasius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cool video- you've probably seen it before. What really pains me is knowing that in my travels to India, you *really* see the problems with having No Traffic Lights in these scenarios.

1876er
AG
Which one has the guy that gets in the wrong lane, drives past 40 people and throws on his blinker to stick his nose in front of somebody while block two lanes.
ccard257
AG
1876er said:

Which one has the guy that gets in the wrong lane, drives past 40 people and throws on his blinker to stick his nose in front of somebody while block two lanes.

Cell phones have made this move unnecessary. Just keep going until you find the guy leaving a big gap while on Texags and jump on in.
Hey Nav
AG
Stack interchange
Whens lunch
AG
Athanasius said:

Cool video- you've probably seen it before. What really pains me is knowing that in my travels to India, you *really* see the problems with having No Traffic Lights in these scenarios.

In my travels to Mumbai, riding in the "Toon Town" cabs, I became of the impression that signals, signage, and striping was merely a suggestion. Everybody drove wherever and however they wanted. Amazingly, it generally worked.
WaltonAg18
AG
Whens lunch said:

Athanasius said:

In my travels to Mumbai, riding in the "Toon Town" cabs, I became of the impression that signals, signage, and striping was merely a suggestion. Everybody drove wherever and however they wanted. Amazingly, it generally worked.
Didn't they try implementing something like this in Europe? I remember reading something on the removal of some crosswalks at intersections actually led to less pedestrian-related accidents but it wasn't exactly viable for visually-impaired individuals.
No one should have to work to survive. Your right to life should not depend solely on your ability to produce capital.
Athanasius
AG
Whens lunch said:

Athanasius said:

If you mean "worked" as in "everyone eventually gets to where they're going", then perhaps. But to travel an hour to go 3 miles outside of rush-hour is ridiculous and normal there. I think the safety numbers are appalling as well- 600 deaths a day driving in India, IIRC.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Thanks for sharing that.

The Stack Interchange at the end of the video is about what you have in Los Angeles at the intersection of The 105 and The 405, and The 105 and The 110 (where Sandra Bullock jumped the bus in the Keanu Reeves movie "Speed").

The problem with The 105/110 interchange in real life is the HOV lanes and the fact that they have stop lights to control traffic merging when you're going from 105 Eastbound to 110 Northbound.

In that video, I think there were some problems with the computer modeling simulation for the Cloverleaf design. One of the problems I noticed was that all the cars making the cloverleaf turn, would then merge in directly with cars going straight through that were three lanes over. In real life, it wouldn't work that way.

And on a couple of the simulations where they had freeway overpasses or underpasses going straight through, there seemed to be an abnormally high number of cars turning left or right at those intersections.

And a couple of those more interesting designs - Turbo for instance, I'd love to know if they've been implemented anywhere in the world.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Athanasius said:

Whens lunch said:

Athanasius said:

If you mean "worked" as in "everyone eventually gets to where they're going", then perhaps. But to travel an hour to go 3 miles outside of rush-hour is ridiculous and normal there. I think the safety numbers are appalling as well- 600 deaths a day driving in India, IIRC.
You haven't lived until you've done Bangalore at rush hour

Mumbai isn't as bad now that they put in that massive toll bridge to get from the airport down to Marine Drive.

I remember my first trip to Bangalore where it took me about 3-4 days before I realized that I wasn't going to die. This is just how they drive. Bumper to bumper, wrong side of the road, horn honking constantly, two-wheelers, three-wheelers, four-wheelers, trucks, etc. I could never do it but they somehow manage to get it done. Even with cows in the road. Just don't get in a hurry.
bmc13
AG
I want the pinavia one as a screensaver.

and 3 level roundabouts installed lots of places, please
Wildman15
AG
Seems familiar...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.