Vehicle repair/mechanic horror stories....

2,418 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BenFiasco14
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's hear em. I'm dealing with a ****ty AC I just had replaced a month ago and it's already out again...

Just dropped off the truck and now I'm immobile. I just want to be ready for when the Texas heat really gets here.

What horror stories does the GB have in regards to vehicle problems and/or issues with a mechanic or auto shop?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Are such a lolpoor that you can't afford a rental while your S-10 is in the shop?
The Fife
Real trucks have triangle windows and this sort of thing wouldn't be a problem.
rhoswen
AG
AC went out in the old pickup, so I bought a new pickup.
Geralt of Rivia
S
If you're immobile without your truck, then maybe you should get a wheelchair
Whitetail
AG
I once had a vehicle....really makes you think.
The Wonderer
AG
Whitetail said:

I once had a vehicle....really makes you think.

Once? Did it get repo'd?
TyHolden
AG
Monster trucks
IIIHorn
"I couldn't fix your brakes so I made your horn louder."
Iowaggie
AG
Once an overly obsessive mechanic wanted to overhaul the entire engine, and it was going to take a major commitment from me, like driving under 60 miles an hour for a while, and getting the oil changed every 1000 miles. When I balked at that and just wanted to pay for the work he had already done, he took the car down from the lift, and drove off.

The worst part was I had JFK's golf clubs in the trunk.
riverrataggie
AG
Iowaggie said:

Once an overly obsessive mechanic wanted to overhaul the entire engine, and it was going to take a major commitment from me, like driving under 60 miles an hour for a while, and getting the oil changed every 1000 miles. When I balked at that and just wanted to pay for the work he had already done, he took the car down from the lift, and drove off.

Yeah, that's right.
lotsofhp
AG
Iowaggie said:

ac04
the washer fluid is NOT fine!
unimboti nkum
AG
when i was 10 i was sitting in a parking lot and there was a massive explosion at a gas station across the street. tires and debris flew into the street. apparently some idiot was welding a gas tank. he died.
91_Aggie
AG
Blinker Fluid [/aggiesarah02]
IIIHorn
gambochaman
AG
dealer wanted $600 to replace a gdamn PCV valve LOLOLOLOLOL

I paid the $17 for the part and got it done in 5 mins
beerad12man
AG
Iowaggie said:

Direct Enter Enter
gambochaman said:

Similar experience with an exterior door handle on my kid's car. I think it cost me more in gas driving to and from the junkyard than it did for me to harvest a matching door handle from the yard.
ClickClack
AG
gambochaman said:

Dummy, if the portion that connects into the engine is destroyed or gummed up, the whole system needs to be cleaned/replaced. That's why it was quoted for $600. Way to exaggerate though.
CaddoAggie96
AG
Work car was a Camry with only about 100,000 miles. I liked that car.
A few days after an oil change from a local care center (not just a quik change), the check engine light came on while I was doing 70 and within about 100 yards the engine locked up and I moved over.
I had it towed to the shop and after two days of the owner investigating what happened it was something to do with the gasket on the oil filter. I asked him what we should do about it and even though it took him 3 or 4 weeks he found a replacement motor with only 50k miles on it and paid for everything to get me back on the road.
Sorry that wasn't exactly a horror story, but it could have been. Just unique in the automotive repair field.
ought1ag
AG
Lonestar Chevy in Houston was doing some work on my truck (oil change, air filter, flushing radiator, etc) My truck was very dusty as I had been at the deer lease all weekend.....(this is important to the story) They bill was outrageous and I thought that it was a little high, plus I got the funny feeling that they didn't do 1/2 of what they said. I popped my hood and saw absolute zero signs of dust disturbance except next to the oil cap. I immediately drove back over there and started to question the manager he was so full of BS i just stormed out. Below is what pushed me over the edge.

me - you changed the air filter?
manager - yes
me - how did you do that without disturbing any dust under the hood?
manager - our techs wear special gloves that dont disturb dust and dirt.
me - are you effin with me right now?
manager - absolutely not

he called me the next day and told me he was going to credit my card and give me a couple hundred back.......that was nice, but I haven't been back since. I really hope that criminals dont get thier hands on these special gloves or CSI will never be able to solve a case again!!
Badman
AG
CaddoAggie96 said:

Work car was a Camry with only about 100,000 miles. I liked that car.
A few days after an oil change from a local care center (not just a quik change), the check engine light came on while I was doing 70 and within about 100 yards the engine locked up and I moved over.
I had it towed to the shop and after two days of the owner investigating what happened it was something to do with the gasket on the oil filter. I asked him what we should do about it and even though it took him 3 or 4 weeks he found a replacement motor with only 50k miles on it and paid for everything to get me back on the road.
Sorry that wasn't exactly a horror story, but it could have been. Just unique in the automotive repair field.
You should include the name of the place when telling that story. Places like that are hard to find.
Caesar4
AG
ClickClack said:

gambochaman said:

Dummy, if the portion that connects into the engine is destroyed or gummed up, the whole system needs to be cleaned/replaced. That's why it was quoted for $600. Way to exaggerate though.
Are you one of the Tappet Brothers?
Ginormus Ag
AG
I was gettin my oil changed at Valvoline. The tech brought me the cabin air filter and showed it to me. "It looks like you have a rat in the car. Look at all these droppings."

"That looks like dog food, not rat droppings."

"Do you have a dog?"

"No."

"That's weird, do you want us to change the cabin air filter?"

"No."

"Ok. I will put this back in your car."

"Ok."

It looked exactly like he had taken half a cup of dog food and poured it on top of the filter after taking it out of the car.

I went to Wal-Mart right after to get a new air filter, and when I go to change it out, there is a new cabin air filter installed. I look at the receipt and I wasn't charged for one. I don't know if he changed it because I called out his bull**** or if he changed it before figuring I would be disgusted and say yes. I haven't been back to that oil change place since then. Before that, they had never tried to sell me all the extras.
BenFiasco14
AG
Update for the haters:

Was a faulty compressor relay. Got it replaced, no charge, got my car back at lunch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.