University of Portland tennis player kicked off team for misogynistic speech at award

6,670 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Woody2006
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Goutham Sundaram has been removed from the University of Portland men's tennis team after delivering a misogynistic and violent speech during the school's annual Wally Awards.

Sundaram's remarks came during the fifth annual banquet Sunday evening, a night meant to honor the student-athletes and their community within the Pilots' program.

Instead, Sundaram regaled the audience that included the school president, athletic director, coaches and players with a speech filled with remarks about his lack of sexual conquests, his right to sex and how his entire time at Portland was really about getting white women to sleep with brown men, according to an op-ed piece in the school newspaper The Beacon.

Olivia Sanchez, the news and managing editor of The Beacon and a three-year rower, walked out of the banquet, along with several others.

She wrote that Sundaram introduced himself and said he was going to "make the stage (his) locker room."
He said his teammates engaged in more sexual intercourse than he and continued to draw a parallel between that and being white. "Go brown and turn your frown upside down," Sundaram said often, according to Sanchez.

He also told the story of his parents, who immigrated from India, and how that would be worth it only if he could "hook up with a white girl."

School president Fr. Mark Poorman, who was seated near the front, never tried to stop Sundaram or go up on stage, according to Sanchez.

When Sundaram said "Gandhi didn't fast for twenty days so that I could get to America and not sleep with white women," many people began to leave.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2018/04/17/goutham-sundaram-removed-university-portland-tennis-misogynistic-violent-speech/523038002/

I would have loved to be in the crowd to see this.
The Collective
AG
Bombay will love this.
BostonAg74
CJS4715 said:

Bombay will love this.
Probably not. He's still pissed about being kicked off the Portland tennis team.
03_Aggie
Would love to see the types of white women tennis players pull.

Or maybe not.
Tatem
he's not even attractive

no wonder he can't find a white woman
rhoswen
AG
Maybe if he wasn't such a jerk he'd get laid more often.
swc93
AG
Bet he stinks.
Tex117
AG
Van Wilder?

Taj?! Is that you?!
agnerd
AG
I would think Portland of all places would support an athlete standing up for equal treatment of brown people.
3 William 56
AG
Quote:

LeonardSkinner
Assuming everything is accurately reported, this was a bad move on that guy's part. At the very least, inappropriate, but I'd go further than that.

But the op-ed that spurred the USA Today article? Laughable halfway through.
To paraphrase, "I felt trapped, so I left." "I'm offended, hear me roar."
McCoveysCove
sounds like a future stand up comedian
LupinusTexensis
When this is your o face, ain't nobody gonna wanna get with you
swimmerbabe11
http://www.upbeacon.com/article/2018/04/wally-awards-critique
BombayAg
Tatem said:

he's not even attractive

no wonder he can't find a white woman

One doesn't need to be attractive to snag a white woman. Not even intelligence.

All you need is money.

Look at the fugly stinking rich Arabs and the women who line their beds. Mencia did a funny sketch.

BombayAg
Swarely said:

Quote:

Goutham Sundaram has been removed from the University of Portland men's tennis team after delivering a misogynistic and violent speech during the school's annual Wally Awards.

Sundaram's remarks came during the fifth annual banquet Sunday evening, a night meant to honor the student-athletes and their community within the Pilots' program.

Instead, Sundaram regaled the audience that included the school president, athletic director, coaches and players with a speech filled with remarks about his lack of sexual conquests, his right to sex and how his entire time at Portland was really about getting white women to sleep with brown men, according to an op-ed piece in the school newspaper The Beacon.

Olivia Sanchez, the news and managing editor of The Beacon and a three-year rower, walked out of the banquet, along with several others.

She wrote that Sundaram introduced himself and said he was going to "make the stage (his) locker room."
He said his teammates engaged in more sexual intercourse than he and continued to draw a parallel between that and being white. "Go brown and turn your frown upside down," Sundaram said often, according to Sanchez.

He also told the story of his parents, who immigrated from India, and how that would be worth it only if he could "hook up with a white girl."

School president Fr. Mark Poorman, who was seated near the front, never tried to stop Sundaram or go up on stage, according to Sanchez.

When Sundaram said "Gandhi didn't fast for twenty days so that I could get to America and not sleep with white women," many people began to leave.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2018/04/17/goutham-sundaram-removed-university-portland-tennis-misogynistic-violent-speech/523038002/

It just shows how much racism still exists in this country. I didn't grow up here but this guy did and has no doubt gone through a lot more.

Some White folks here can't take it when someone holds a mirror in front of their faces

PS: Sundaram was just being funny. He should have realized that America is now an uptight nation politically correct nation who are perpetually outraged or looking for something to hyperventilate over.
quanah
BombayAg said:

Mencia did a funny sketch.

I find that hard to believe.
swimmerbabe11
How did he expect to get away with that at an even where the university president, a priest, was present?

http://www.upbeacon.com/article/2018/04/goutham_letter-to-the-editor

Quote:

I am profoundly sorry for my opening monologue at the Wally's. The words I spoke and the language I used cannot be defended in anyway. The following apology along with my steadfast commitment to better myself are the words and promises the UP community deserves from me.
I said things that hurt many people in this community and I want to deeply apologize for that. When I wrote the script for the Wally's, I hoped to use self-deprecation and irony as a tool for sharing a few stories about my immigrant and diaspora experience. I realize now that it does not matter what was written in jest or what was said in sarcasm; the crux of the content was grossly inappropriate, and I am unquestionably in the wrong for that. There is absolutely no room for that rhetoric on our campus or within our community.
It truly breaks my heart to have caused pain to my peers because I did not pay attention to my own blind spots. I am committed to bettering myself and addressing those blindspots through discussions with my professors, peers, and community leaders. This language has no place on our campus, in our community, or in our world. The words I spoke should have no place in history, they should have no place in today, and more importantly I commit to ensuring they have no part in our future. I hope to become a better classmate, friend, son, brother, and person through this process.
I would, again, like to offer my sincerest apologies and express my deep remorse for my words at the Wally's.
- Goutham
Goutham Sundaram is a senior computer science and math major and can be reached at sundaram18@up.edu"]sundaram18@up.edu

wow he shouldn't have put his email up there.
malenurse
AG
If it was funny, then he stole it from someone.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
StringerBell
AG
im dying over the fact that he thought he was putting together a edgy monologue only to end up offending everyone in the damn room
swimmerbabe11
Ive got to think that past award shows had been kind of pg-13 if he thought it was going to be okay though
Creekisrising
Still not sure what I just read.
Unreal
HBCanine08
AG
Agree with my brown brotha from anotha motha. Where da white women at?
Slicer97
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Banging us white guys.
jokershady
AG
This feels like a scene straight out of the office....

Replace "Wallys" with "Dundees" and Michael Scott with this dude.
HBCanine08
AG
Slicer97 said:

HBCanine08 said:

Banging us white guys.

Im guessing you're not familiar with BBC pr0n?
MillennialAg
No, what are your favorites?

include links.
(removed:110205)
An Indian athlete?!....hard to believe.
agnerd
AG
BombayAg said:

PS: Sundaram was just being funny. He should have realized that America is now an uptight nation politically correct nation who are perpetually outraged or looking for something to hyperventilate over.
Number of comedians won't do college campus shows anymore because everyone gets offended at every joke. Trying to do a comedy show at one of the most "progressive" schools in the country was a big mistake. Bombay Sundaram should have known that humor can't be used around people like that.
_lefraud_
AG
Sid said:

Jim Thorpe says hello
Tom Hagen
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Sid said:

Jim Thorpe says hello
He meant dot, not feather.
Goose
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Sid said:

Jim Thorpe says hello
As does Jake Taylor. On bad knees and well past his prime, but a consummate professional.
DVC2010
AG
Thats...actually a pretty good apology. I am now more sympathetic to the boorish yet (probably) well-meaning student than to the histrionic and hyperbolic one.
B-1 83
AG
Dude must have zero game. Even this guy eventually got some steady.....

Of course, that was in TV Land.......
EVA3
AG
Tell me it's on YouTube. Please.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.