EZ Method to Remove Aggie Ring Antiquing

21,025 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Serious Lee
GigEmAgs91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy Ags,

So quick little story. I had my ring done with the antique finish when I ordered it, it got really dirty recently and I decided to clean it. The mechanic in me went straight for the bottle of carb cleaner and it worked a little bit better than I expected, in fact it worked so well that my ring came out pure gold without a speck of black on it. Guess I should have paid more attention in chemistry but I actually like this look better so oh well. Didn't harm the metal at all and my ring looks brand new. I think technically this voided the warranty, but considering A&M is the ring companies biggest contract and this was an accident, I'm sure ill be fine.

TL;DR - If you don't like the antique look, use a can of carb cleaner and a soft bristle toothbrush to remove.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
The Fife
Since this thread is about how to remove antiquing from rings that shouldn't be hard to come by.
chipotle
It only voids your half the warranty not the associations.
Ragoo
AG
Lose it in the river. Buy new ring.
FIDO*98*
AG
I know what I'm doing this afternoon
91_Aggie
AG
Glad there is hope for the many who apparently were too young and foolish when they actually chose to get the Antique version.
Wildman15
AG
What an absolute waste of a first post, OP. You get your ring antiqued, then wear it so long the antiquing falls out over time. Then let your ring become antiqued naturally. THEN you've worn it so long the ring becomes one smoothed over chunk of gold.
TyHolden
AG
If that ain't country...
chiken
AG
Easiest way is to use the time machine, go back to your ordering form, punch yourself in the face if your hand hovers over "antiquing" option, and then....choose.....wisely.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I ordered my Aggie Ring the same way my grandfather did 60 years before me.....

Antiqued, no diamond.

rhoswen
AG
I feel like this is one of those "clean your microwave by putting a cd in it" posts.
Joe Exotic
AG
91_Aggie said:

Glad there is hope for the many who apparently were too young and foolish when they actually chose to get the Antique version.

Uh, antique was about they choice Aggies had between the late 1930's to 1998 when natural finish was offered by Balfour. For about 60 years it was either antique until rose and white gold were offered in the late '70s.
nai06
AG
Wildman15 said:

What an absolute waste of a first post, OP. You get your ring antiqued, then wear it so long the antiquing falls out over time. Then let your ring become antiqued naturally. THEN you've worn it so long the ring becomes one smoothed over chunk of gold.
gold won't "antique" over time. if it looks antiqued, its full of dead skin, dirt, and grime.
chipotle
nai06 said:

if it looks antiqued, its full of dead skin, dirt, and grime.

The Collective
AG
Compound (WHOOOOOOOP). Complex (WHOOOOOOOOP). Fightin Texas Aggie carb cleaner (WHOOOOOOOOOP).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Antique 10K no diamond
Builder93
AG
Is there a direct correlation between your antiqued ring and your pre-torn jeans?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's probably a more direct correlation between natural gold and the amount of things that enter your butthole.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Is it that much quicker to type EZ instead of easy? Is it worth it?
MouthBQ98
AG
I like real grode vs fake grode with real grode on top.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
1 year post graduation (I worked as a degreed engineer), I used to use commercial strength ammonia used in our lab to clean my antiqued ring. It worked great but one day my ring turned black. The ammonia must have been contaminated. The ring office made it all better. I was in a huge panic as you can imagine.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

There's probably a more direct correlation between natural gold and the amount of things that enter your butthole.

That's why mine is antiqued, and the wife's is natural gold.
gigemags-99
AG
CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

What's his name?
chipotle
CJS4715 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Dunking your ring
Builder93
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I see, then no correlation at all.

Goose83
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

91_Aggie said:

Uh, antique was about they choice Aggies had between the late 1930's to 1998 when natural finish was offered by Balfour. For about 60 years it was either antique until rose and white gold were offered in the late '70s.

Funny how the offering of non-antiqued finishes roughly corresponds with the time frame in which New Army first started to manifest itself.

nai06
AG
Goose61 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

91_Aggie said:

Funny how the offering of non-antiqued finishes roughly corresponds with the time frame in which New Army first started to manifest itself.

Funny how you don't know your Aggie Ring history unless you are assuming new army is anything beyond 1877. Natural finishes were offered in the past.
Goose83
AG
nai06 said:

Goose61 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

91_Aggie said:

Funny how you don't know your Aggie Ring history unless you are assuming new army is anything beyond 1877. Natural finishes were offered in the past.

Get off my lawn, and get a sense of humor while you're at it.
Joe Exotic
AG
They fell out of favor in the 30's before disappearing altogether. I had a chance to talk with one of the ring historians that does work for the association. He said virtually all class rings at the time were antiqued and it stemmed from jewelry of the late 1800ms often being engraved onyx or ivory. Antiqued gold replicated that. Some natural rings were offered since there was no standard design but antiqued finishes were the norm then for most military schools that offered rings.
WaltonAg18
AG
Another option is to use a sonicator to clean it (which will also take off the antiquing) and then use shoe polish to get the antiquing back
No one should have to work to survive. Your right to life should not depend solely on your ability to produce capital.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Zemira
AG
For future reference to actually clean your Aggie ring (or gold jewelry without soft stones)

Mix a few drops of dawn + few drops ammonia + warm water.

Drop jewelry in solution for 5-10 minutes. Remove jewelry from solution. Brush gently with a soft brush. Then you get nice sparkly gold.

I keep a container mixed up and I just heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Drop all my jewelry in, wait the allotted time and brush the jewelry. Depending on how often you do this you can use the same solution for 2-3 years before you need to make a new batch.
GigEmAgs91
Yeah no I may be an ******* but I'm not that much of an *******.
GigEmAgs91
Mental note, thanks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.