What was your final undergraduate GPA?

7,230 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ursusguy
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Protip: Nobody cares about GPA and it is entirely irrelevant in the real world.
Ag with kids
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The only time anyone ever asked was when I was interviewing for my current job. I'd been out of school 10 years and this was my 4th job.

Found it kind of odd.
Hagen95
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not true at all. I use it for judging potential employees when screening applications.
aggie4231
AG
Just good enough to get the diploma.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Green2Maroon
AG
3.04, not too bad for taking a four year Army break between HS and college. Agribusiness major.
NoahAg
Green2Maroon said:

3.04, not too bad for taking a four year Army break between HS and college. Agribusiness major.
It seemed that prior service guys (and "older" students in general), were usually pretty good students.
vin1041
AG
3.1 GPA business management. After 4 yrs in the Marines.
DannyDuberstein
AG
With my field/company, it serves as a pretty reliable filter in identifying who could handle some of our more complex roles and who is a much bigger risk. They may be able to handle the role we're hiring for, but we move people along every couple of years so we're really hiring you for the next 3-5 roles too. So if we screw up and hire someone that had a resume that checked the boxes, interviewed reasonably well, but turns out to be a bit of a dummy that is overwhelmed by some of our more challenging roles that require some brainpower, that person becomes a blocker that F's the career/developmental path up for themselves and others.

So there is a minimum we're looking for to weed out the risks.
CDUB98
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

With my field/company, it serves as a pretty reliable filter in identifying who could handle some of our more complex roles and who is a much bigger risk. They may be able to handle the role we're hiring for, but we move people along every couple of years so we're really hiring you for the next 3-5 roles too. So if we screw up and hire someone that had a resume that checked the boxes, interviewed reasonably well, but turns out to be a bit of a dummy that is overwhelmed by some of our more challenging roles that require some brainpower, that person becomes a blocker that F's the career/developmental path up for themselves and others.

So there is a minimum we're looking for to weed out the risks.

Absolutely!

If someone cannot mop floors, how in the hell can you ever expect them to chop lettuce and cook a hamburger.
ClickClack
AG
2.5 in Engineering. We don't talk about that. Look at my fancy diploma!
Ignatius_of_Silesia
2.54. Magna Cume Boracho
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
And you were able to get into male nursing school?
Aggie Infantry
AG
Undergraduate - 2.60
MS - 3.75
Ph.D. - 3.9
MA - 3.5
Iowaggie
AG
Many people think the perfect GPA is 4.0, but not if you are in mathematics.

I overachieved and missed the 3.14 gold medal GPA of math majors by .05.
SidetrackAg
AG
2.5 in Engineering. I rocked that sht though
Carlo4
AG
2.9 BS civil engineering
3.85 MBA

rshackelford
AG
2.9. Smoked too much grass, didnt apply myself. Went back to school 10 years later, 3.8 sober and a parent
americathegreat1492
Brian Earl Spilner said:

A) this is not true

2) GPA is a strong indicator of conscientiousness of the individual at that time. This is more commonly known as work ethic. This doesn't mean one can't become more conscientious later, but if I'm looking at two kids just out of college I'll take the one that's already demonstrated their ability to organize themselves and be productive over one who only has the potential to do so, all else equal.
ClickClack
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

A) this is not true

2) GPA is a strong indicator of conscientiousness of the individual at that time. This is more commonly known as work ethic. This doesn't mean one can't become more conscientious later, but if I'm looking at two kids just out of college I'll take the one that's already demonstrated their ability to organize themselves and be productive over one who only has the potential to do so, all else equal.

I think the point is once you have some work experience no one looks at GPA. Yeah maybe some one offs but really nobody cares, they care about your experience and how you've performed.
Carlo4
AG
I was always told your GPA is meaningless after one year of your first post college job. After that, it's your experience.
saw em off
PDEMDHC said:

I was always told your GPA is meaningless after one year of your first post college job. After that, it's your experience.
This could be said for about 80% of everything you've ever learned in all of school.
MD20/20
AG
Don't remember
Couldn't care less
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
ARKY AGGIE
AG
2.3, B.S. in Forest Management.

That was when 2.0 and go was the motto in the Corps of cadets.
Aggie97
AG
I graduated Manga Cum Lucky
IIIHorn
BBA
BA

^
|
|
|

2 degrees below zero.
3rd and 2
AG
2.6 something or 2.8 something, I can't quite remember.
OCEN99
AG
3.65. I was on track for magna cum laude until my last semester when I contracted a raging case of senioritis.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
americathegreat1492 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

A) this is not true

A) It is true.

B) See A.
duffelpud
AG
Eleven
"What's this button do?"
w8liftr
B.S. 2.3 chemistry & zoology
M.Ed. 3.8 applied physiology
M.S. 3.7 sport science (had to settle for 2nd masters when kid 2 came along)
ursusguy
AG
Getting into a Wildlife graduate program is fairly difficult to begin with (not very many openings). Without an MS, getting into the field is extremely difficult. Later on when I started sitting on interview panels, field experience (liked 4 years post college), then grad GPA, undergrad in major GPA, then overall....and I was known to go fishing for grades of relevant classes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.