Do Women Respect Men who Give Up Career Growth to Be Mr Mom?

10,353 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 62strat
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?

My wife's cousin (woman) is married to this guy and they have 2 kids who are in single digits by age. The cousin is very ambitious, career minded and driven. She is doing reasonably well in her career and in many ways defined herself by her career. For Indian women, working is a relatively new thing so it carries a lot of prestige. She works long hours, she leaves early and comes back late, around 7pm.

Her husband is some years older and is very laid back in his career ambitions. I know him for many years and I think he is an intelligent person who knows what is going on in the world and can think and analyze. However, career-wise he is where he was 10 years ago and works for a Government agency where the work is mundane and boring but they have things like pensions and other stuff. Lots of red tape and work happens slow.

Outside of work he does not do anything to learn new skills in his job to move up or to find another job that pays him more. He takes the kids to classes, does the grocery and then watches TV and movies. He works for a Govt agency, so I was able to google and find his salary as it is public. He used to make slightly more than me in 2010 but in 2017 but I make about 85% more than him and now have a higher title.

I believe in learning new skills and making the changes to move up the ladder either in the same company or different. He does not seem to. I met him over lunch a month ago and asked him how his job was and he said "no job satisfaction but it allows for flexible hours". I was taken aback as I think that a man needs to man up and work to advance himself rather than settle for "flex hours".

Some years ago, my wife was praising him about how he helps out his wife in the house, takes care of the kids, does the laundry and helps out and how I don't do enough of that (bad bad husband). My argument was that I am doing an advanced degree from a top school (post A&M), and am learning other things to advance and bring in more income for us. I do help out and do things outside the house like lawn, bills, auto but not as much Mr Mom stuff as him. Last month I told her about what he said and she dismissively said she didn't respect him. Wow.

My question is do women here on this board and around you respect men who give up their career goals so that they can be Mr Mom? Do their own wives appreciate it or lose respect for them?
jetch17
AG
Good lord
Mort Rainey
How pathetic are you? You're that insecure that you would start a thread insulting this guy with the hope that the replies would all be about how much better you are than him? Clearly your wife doesn't respect you and would rather be with the other guy. Sucks to suck
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Who gives a ****?

Work to live, not the other way around.

And agree with George. Pretty sad cry for attention / internet validation.
passerby82
AG
Sounds like your wife feels you should probably be a little more helpful around the house and take time to consider her more. Your plate seems pretty full. Seem smart and together. I understand, I am busy too, but take time to consider your wife and what you can do to be helpful. Be in the present. Listen to her.

This will help.

If you ever find that you are pondering what your wife thinks of you as husband... Step up, you are probably slacking.

PseudonymK
AG
You can't take it with you
80s Guy
Quote:

If you ever find that you are pondering what your wife thinks of you as husband... Step up, you are probably slacking
Comment removed due to mistaken identity
DadAG10
NOYFB
Tanya 93
Removed
DadAG10
80s Guy said:

Quote:

If you ever find that you are pondering what your wife thinks of you as husband... Step up, you are probably slacking
Combine that with his admitted muff dive on hooker and his "Open" marriage... I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
Wrong *****.
80s Guy
My apologies for the misleading statement but dude, get some help before you become Bayside
Furlock Bones
AG
sounds like OPs wife wants to get taken to pound town and OP can't make weight.
aka Sloan Kettering aka Lazlo Hollyfeld
Fonzie Scheme
AG
80s Guy said:

Quote:

Have you been sufficiently notified that you have misidentified one of the resident miscreants?
80s Guy
Fonzie Scheme said:

80s Guy said:

Quote:

Have you been sufficiently notified that you have misidentified one of the resident miscreants?
Mort Rainey
These threads are the best. Guy thinks everyone will stroke his ego and ends up urinating all over himself in front of everyone
Beer Baron
AG
I GOT YOUR CAREER GROWTH RIGHT HERE <points at crotch>
The Wonderer
AG
Beer Baron said:

I GOT YOUR CAREER GROWTH RIGHT HERE <points at crotch>
Guess that explains the unexpected left turn and downward trend.
histag10
AG
I feel like OP just started this thread so he could feel like he has the bigger indian pen is and say he makes 85% more than his cousin's husband.

That's pretty much all I got from this.
713nervy
AG
Ambition is a personality trait just like being direct, having a good attitude, being resourceful, etc. But, it's unlike the rest in that it's innate and likely cannot be learned. Nothing wrong with that - some people want to actively progress in their careers and some people do not. Just pick something that makes you happy and be the best [fill in the blank] that you can be. That's what I respect, Mr. Mom or otherwise.
Mort Rainey
713nervy said:

Ambition is a personality trait just like being direct, having a good attitude, being resourceful, etc. But, it's unlike the rest in that it's innate and likely cannot be learned. Nothing wrong with that - some people want to actively progress in their careers and some people do not. Just pick something that makes you happy and be the best [fill in the blank] that you can be. That's what I respect, Mr. Mom or otherwise.
This is the definition of talking out your ass
Red Rover
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

That is literally not correct.
The Wonderer
AG
Red Rover said:

GeorgePlimpton said:

But figuratively could be correct.
MouthBQ98
AG
Knew a couple guys whose wives got into a really lucrative career, and they both basically quit once they were financially set as a family and became Mr. Mom. Worked out fine for them so far as I can tell.
OregonAggie
AG
Red Rover said:

GeorgePlimpton said:

I don't know...there's some talented folks out there and I'm sure someone on this planet can literally talk out their ass.
MJ20/20
AG
I bet this guy hits his wife. Not because of his attitude but because he's indian.
Ragoo
AG
I want to be a Mr. Mom with a ski boat a couple of buddies and daycare paid in full.
AgEng06
AG
As soon as my wife moves from fries to assistant manager and starts making the big bucks, I'm moving to Mr. Mom.
histag10
AG
OregonAggie said:

Red Rover said:

GeorgePlimpton said:

I don't know...there's some talented folks out there and I'm sure someone on this planet can literally talk out their ass.

People have mastered burping the ABCs and National Anthem. I'm sure someone somewhere has been working on perfecting farting a sentence, or at the very least, a word.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
You know what's nice? Opening a thread and seeing a long OP and knowing I can skip it just by reading the first couple of replies. That's nice.
ac04
love that the OP pretends to be so self-confident and then posts this kind of drivel. hilarious.
Mort Rainey
Pirate04
AG
Y'all are too much.
Mort Rainey
Pirate04 said:

Y'all are too much.

I thought you got banned?
MGS
220, 221, whatever it takes.
RAB87
AG
MGS said:

220, 221, whatever it takes.
Well done.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.