Allegra or Zyrtec?

8,173 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BlitzBrother
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I take Flonase daily, but whatever is in the air these last two weeks is kicking my tail. Thinking of adding Allegra or Zyrtec to the mix. Whatcha got?
jay040
Xyzal.
713nervy
AG
I think they work differently for different people. Both take several days in your system before you start to see a difference.

I take Allegra every day of my life.
MisterShipWreck
Get this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Suphedrine-PE-Sinus-Allergy-Tablets-24-count/14053319

It is NOT the same as Sudafed, despite the long name being similar. It was a prescription medicine called "D Allergy." I took it for several years - it is my favorite allergy medicine.

My allergy doctor told me that a Chinese company bought the patent with many other medicines, and it keep getting temporarily discontinued. It became a major pain for me to find it in stock at pharmacies. Finally, WalMart bought the patent, and they sell it exclusively.

Unfortunately, I never could find it at any of the local WalMarts. I buy it in Bastrop when I am passing thru, or order it online at the WalMart website and get it shipped to the local WalMart (for free) for pickup.

Zyrtec and Allegra... I tried those years ago when they were still prescription. They do not help me at all. This does.
FIDO*98*
AG
713nervy said:

I think they work differently for different people. Both take several days in your system before you start to see a difference.

This is the 100% correct answer. I'd start with Allegra because it has lower instance of drowsiness.
AggieBarstool
I do Zyrtec & Flonase daily. You need to do this for 2 weeks to start seeing a benefit (not be completely cured of allergies). From then on, you need to maintain a daily dosage to maintain the effects.
KidDoc
AG
You will see benefit from zyrtec & allegra within an hour but usually there is so much residual swelling and mucus that you will stIll be congested just less itching and sneezing. After several days of use and blowing your nose and neti pot/sinus flush you should be better. Nasal steroid is superior to both in regards to symptom control and the effects are additive. I prefer Allegra since it is does not cross to the brain like zyrtec does and acts faster than Claritin.

The Suphedrine PE linked above has significant potential for hypertension and sedation. It is more powerful as the anti-histamine in that drug (Chlorpheniramine) has significant anti-cholinergic effects in addition to anti-histamine similar to benadryl. Also similar to benadryl it can cause significant impairment and even cause tardive dyskinesia with chronic use. That drug is fine to use if not driving long distance and if you are young and healthy with no risk factors for stroke or hypertension.

Personally I don't think the Suphedrine PE is worth the risk of things that can kill you and better off with using baseline OTC nasal steroids + neti pot with allegra as needed for breakthrough.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MooreTrucker
AG
Claratin. Pill and/or nasal spray.
Athanasius
AG
I have suffered from severe allergies my entire adult life. Had to move away from Texas to get away from them. I have been told by multiple doctors that you can and most likely should, alternate medications as needed.

So, with the advice above, just find what works best. When something stops working, try another one.

And... use the nasal sprays.
Ragoo
AG
the ragweed got me on saturday. felt like a lump in the back of my throat since.
Old School Brother
the one with the green cap.
permabull
AG
WC87
AG
zytrec
titanmaster_race
Zyrtec can have some horrible withdrawal symptoms...
Law361
AG
Zyrtec every day
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Neti pot along with Zyrtec.
memace
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Zyrtec can have some horrible withdrawal symptoms...

I was itching like a tweaker after quitting Zyrtec
GinaLinetti
AG
jay040 said:

Xyzal.

That **** knocks me the **** out.
GinaLinetti
AG
Can I take Zyrtec at night and Claritin in the morning?
Bulldog73
AG
I use Zyrtec D, Singulair, and Flonase daily, plus allergy shots and still get three significant sinus infections a year. I just can't win.

I've seen allergy drops advertised, but no idea if they're just hocus pocus or if they actually do anything.
Dr.Rumack
Zyrtec
GreasenUSA
AG
Zyrtec D
swc93
AG
Tequila and lemon
Vade281
AG
Zyrtec...but really Sudafed.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I think claritin was shown to be ineffective in a study.

Zyrtec and singulair were most effective.
ThatOneAg
jay040 said:

Xyzal.
KidDoc
AG
Here are the current general guidelines from AAFP (your mileage my vary of course)

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2015/1201/p985.html

Here is the blurb specific to oral therapy:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORAL ANTIHISTAMINES
Histamine is the most studied mediator in early allergic response. It causes smooth muscle constriction, mucus secretion, vascular permeability, and sensory nerve stimulation, resulting in the symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
First-generation antihistamines, including brompheniramine, chlorpheniramine, clemastine, and diphenhydramine (Benadryl), may cause sedation, fatigue, and impaired mental status. These adverse effects occur because the older antihistamines are more lipid soluble and more readily cross the blood-brain barrier than second-generation antihistamines. The use of first-generation sedating antihistamines has been associated with poor school performance, impaired driving, and increased automobile collisions and work injuries.2730

Compared with first-generation antihistamines, second-generation drugs have a better adverse effect profile and cause less sedation, with the exception of cetirizine (Zyrtec).27 Second-generation nonsedating oral antihistamines include loratadine (Claritin), desloratadine (Clarinex), levocetirizine (Xyzal), and fexofenadine (Allegra). Second-generation antihistamines have more complex chemical structures that decrease their movement across the blood-brain barrier, reducing central nervous system adverse effects such as sedation. Although cetirizine is generally classified as a second-generation antihistamine and a more potent histamine antagonist, it does not have the benefit of decreased sedation.

In general, oral antihistamines have been shown to effectively relieve the histamine-mediated symptoms associated with allergic rhinitis (e.g., sneezing, pruritus, rhinorrhea), but they are less effective than intranasal corticosteroids at treating nasal congestion and ocular symptoms. Because their onset of action is typically within 15 to 30 minutes and they are considered safe for children older than two years, second-generation antihistamines are useful for many patients with mild symptoms requiring as-needed treatment.2,3,14
--------------------------------------------------------------------

But you guys are free to follow anecdotal evidence just presenting the "silly old doc" point of view!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
atag
AG
Zyrtec is by far and away my number one seller in all of my drugstore upcs at heb. I will say though...we have an own brand called texaclear that was specifically designed for Texas allergies (pollen type and whatever else local). I have had customers swear by this stuff but it's just not well known. Ask for it if you go to heb.
KidDoc
AG
atag said:

Zyrtec is by far and away my number one seller in all of my drugstore upcs at heb. I will say though...we have an own brand called texaclear that was specifically designed for Texas allergies (pollen type and whatever else local). I have had customers swear by this stuff but it's just not well known. Ask for it if you go to heb.
Not to diss your products or anything but that is basically just a strong cold medication that is pretty sedating. Not sure what is really "Texas specific" to those allergy those are just knock you on your butt cold medication ingredients.
Willis
AG
I have done Zyrtec, Allegra, Singulair, Claritin, Flonase, you name it. Right now I am on Flonase, Allegra and Singulair.

I just recently started an allergy shot regimen and I have to say although I was hesitant, its been a great success so far. About this time every year I'll start really hurting and usually end up sick twice if not three times between October and April. My two year old also has it so she'll be fighting it with me when she gets older.

I would highly recommend looking into allergy shots if it is that chronic.
Canyon99
Immunotherapy if your allergies are consistent and severe. I've been on a program for 18 months now and allergies are no more.
atag
AG
KidDoc said:

atag said:

Not to diss your products or anything but that is basically just a strong cold medication that is pretty sedating. Not sure what is really "Texas specific" to those allergy those are just knock you on your butt cold medication ingredients.

Maybe so...maybe just the placebo effect does the trick lol
Bulldog73
AG
Shots haven't helped mine much. Kid Doc, thoughts on allergy drops? I mentioned it earlier but it really sounds hocus pocusy.
CoppellAg93
AG
I take Zyrtec every day and usually have no problems - but whatever is in the air has had me sneezing like crazy for the last few days (at least after being outside).
KidDoc
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Shots haven't helped mine much. Kid Doc, thoughts on allergy drops? I mentioned it earlier but it really sounds hocus pocusy.
For multiple allergies oral immunotherapy does not seem to be very effective. If you are only allergic to a few things (e.g. only grass, only peanuts) there is a growing body of evidence that they are effective and safe.

There is little harm to trying oral immunotherapy for 6 months to a year but, at this time, injections seem to be more effective overall but have the risk of anaphylaxis and the hassle of going to a doctor's office weekly.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.