Men only Opinion on Phantom of the Opera

7,121 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tlh3842
Predmid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Um....TBD
Beer Baron
AG
Wow, you ladies really enjoy discussing your musical theater.
Predmid
AG
Even more fun to be in a musical production.
Ragoo
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Ragoo said:

Wade Winston Wilson said:

Which version of Phantom of the Opera had Batman? Also, which Batman? I don't know if I would enjoy Adam West as the Phantom
well ***** i thought i remember christian bale being in Phantom. I specifically remember the scene climbing the staircase in the paris opera house. i must be remembering something entirely different. is this what old is like?

He was is Newsies, but I don't think could be confused with Phantom.
no confusion there. Well aware of him in Newsies.
512Ag
AG
Beer Baron said:

AggieDem said:

It's so-so. It's no Stop the Planet of the Apes. I Want to Get Off.
Pales in comparison to Kickin' It: A Musical Journey through the Betty Ford Center.
An excellent selection, for sure. That part where they strap down Liza Minnelli was pure magic.
Counterpoint
AG
Book of Mormon FTW.
Iowaggie
AG
It is OK.

It really helps to go in having heard the songs a few times.
I think it is much better than Cats, Memphis, Rent and a few others.
Come Out Roll
AG
sorry, but you couldn't get me to go to a musical at gunpoint.....
couldn't make the beer cold enough or the bj afterwards any better
Agnzona
Even Annie get your guns?
BostonAg74
My daughter works in theater in New York, so I've seen quite a few shows. The truth is that most Broadway shows, especially the big over produced ones, are pretty boring. Phantom is more boring than most, but Wicked is nothing to write home about either. To be honest, I enjoy the smaller, off Broadway shows more often. Maybe it's because expectations are lower. A Broadway show that just closed, Bandstand, a WWII swing era musical, was really enjoyable but just lasted a year. I suspect that it will do well on tour, though. Hamilton is okay, the humor in Book of Mormon wears thin pretty quickly, and Great Comet (also recently closed) was pretty spectacular. They filmed the Broadway version of Newsies, so I just saw it on Netflix, and I was surprised that I enjoyed it. It moved faster than most shows and there was more humor in it than I expected. The Scottsboro Boys closed in a just a couple of months, but I thought it was great. To each his own, but these shows almost never live up to the hype.
Wildman15
AG
Considering most broadway shows only last a couple of years and Phantom is on year 31, I would say the show overall is still good
BostonAg74
Wildman15 said:

Considering most broadway shows only last a couple of years and Phantom is on year 31, I would say the show overall is still good
Actually, most Broadway shows last less than a year and lose tons of money. However, once a show recoups, and can just coast for a few years and make a lot of money. I read that Lin Manuel Miranda will make up to $10 million a year for as long as Hamilton is playing. My daughter knows the woman who designed the costumes for Wicked, and she has been getting a very small percentage of the gross for as long as it has been playing. She's now worth several million. Phantom, Wicked, The Lion King, and other long running shows, keep chugging along because tourists are not very adventurous when it comes to Broadway shows. Tickets are expensive so they want a sure thing.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Sounds like this is accurate about Broadway shows:

Bruce Almighty
AG
Book of Mormon was great.
Out in Left Field
AG
It's no Phantom of the Megaplex.
ToddyHill
AG
Good grief there are so many Broadway experts on here that also come across as arrogant know-it-alls.

I've seen Phantom three times, twice on Broadway. I don't know how anyone with any sense of music appreciation can criticize this play. I would have loved to have seen it in London with Sarah Brightman.

Maybe those who know it all should have seen The Drowsy Chaperone. All imo.
BostonAg74
ToddyHill said:

Good grief there are so many Broadway experts on here that also come across as arrogant know-it-alls.

I've seen Phantom three times, twice on Broadway. I don't know how anyone with any sense of music appreciation can criticize this play. I would have loved to have seen it in London with Sarah Brightman.

As I said, to each his own. There are a lot of shows that have outstanding music, but some just happen to be too long and a little boring. In my opinion, Phantom fits that description. Parade won a Tony for its music, but closed after just a few months because it was a musical about a Jewish guy who was lynched in Georgia, not exactly light hearted tourist fare. The Bridges of Madison County had beautiful music, but a boring story, and it met the same fate.

And I did see The Drowsy Chaperone. It was just okay, but it featured a great comic performance by Danny Burstein, which made it worth the price of a ticket. I try to find something I like about any show I see. Sometimes it's the music, sometimes it's the dancing, and sometimes the story. I liked some things about Phantom, but just because I thought it was boring, I don't claim to be more qualified to judge it than some one who liked it more than I did. It's just my opinion.
Wildman15
AG
ToddyHill said:

Claude!
ToddyHill said:

Unfortunately, by referencing The Drowsy Chaperone, which I have never heard of, Zhou come across as an arrogant know-it-all.
MouthBQ98
AG
I like Jesus Christ, Superstar. Rock opera that is at least entertaining.
Agnzona
Just throwing this out there. The best show we have seen in the last few years was hands down was the American in Paris revival.
Ragoo
AG
I've only seen one actual opera and that was La Boheme. It was fantastic.

Top two musicals I have seen are Wicked and The Lion King.
wbt5845
AG
Men would have no opinion because men would refuse to go.

As for the rest of you....
Geralt of Rivia
S
Says the guy that goes to watch "professional marching bands"
boboguitar
AG
Quote:

That's gay as ****.
Agnzona
Real men do musical theater. If you have never seen Rex Harrison live as Henry Higgins I'd question your man card.
MooreTrucker
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

Boom.
MooreTrucker
AG
ToddyHill said:

Such as yourself.
MooreTrucker
AG
Out in Left Field said:

Or KISS and the Phantom of the Park!
Tomdoss92
AG
Tanya 93
MooreTrucker said:

Out in Left Field said:

Or KISS and the Phantom of the Park!
My son loves that movie!
Square Pair
AG
It was fine. There's a reason it's the longest running show on Broadway approaching its 30th anniversary.

In two days I caught the following 4 shows on Broadway and here's how I'd rank them:
1. Miss Saigon
2. Hamilton
3. Anastasia
4. Phantom
tlh3842
AG
Saw Phantom a few months back on Broadway; it wasn't bad. Wife's only made me watch a few different plays, only one I've seen not in the Hobby Center was the Phantom. Lion King was pretty awesome though.

That's all I really got..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.