1 Dead, 7 injured as ride malfunctions at Ohio State Fair

4,696 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agdaddy04
tylercsbn9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Video of accident

Aftermath (note none of the people they actually show in said aftermath video were killed)

nai06
AG
That's awful
redd38
AG
Isn't this why people go on those rides? The thrilling possibility of death?
CDUB98
AG
In the still shot of the YouTube, is the leg of that guy on the left completely bent backwards, like his knee in his chest and the back of his heel at his ear?
Beer Baron
AG
My mind can't even comprehend the leg angles that are happening there. Something like this is right up there with a pit full of cobras as my worst nightmare.
Flashdiaz
AG
yeah that's why I never ride the carnival rides... who knows what kind of drugs and\or alcohol the carney putting that thing together was on.
CDUB98
AG
Okay, the guy's head is opposite what I thought.

However, his right leg is still sticking out at an angle that is probably not too pleasant feeling.
CDUB98
AG
Same guy I've been talking about:

Either his left shoe is off and his foot is directly facing the camera, or his left foot is gone.
CDUB98
AG
This is exactly why I don't ride these rides and why I don't want my family riding them.

Also, having a Mechanical Engineering degree, plus real world experience, gives me more knowledge about exactly what can go wrong and why.

I hate carnival rides.
ThatOneAg
I never ride carnival or fair rides. They are torn down and put up so often and who knows the background of the operators.
gigemags-99
AG
That is awful!

I love roller coaster rides at places like Six Flags, but would never do one at a carnival.
The Wonderer
AG
Don't ride **** that travels around the country by 18-wheelers and is operated by the lowest common denominator.

I investigate several incidents every year at the Rodeo carnival for malfunctioning rides or injuries from rides. Amazing that people allow their kids on those things.
BlueAg2003
AG
Damn, I've been on a ride very similar to this. I love riding these kinds of rides at the state fair, but as I get older I think I'm going to start passing them up.
titanmaster_race
CDUB98 said:

This is exactly why I don't ride these rides and why I don't want my family riding them.

Also, having a Mechanical Engineering degree, plus real world experience, gives me more knowledge about exactly what can go wrong and why.

I hate carnival rides.

Same for me with aerospace.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
CDUB98 said:

I hate carnival rides.
Same here. One of the first things my wife and I did together was go to the southeast TX state fair. She wanted to ride everything and couldn't understand why I was upset about it. So I started to explain...

...5 minutes later she surrendered and hasn't wanted to ride a carnival ride since.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

She wanted to ride everything and couldn't understand why I was upset about it. So I started to explain...
I've explained to BDUB, but there is no surrender in that woman.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I do not ride random carny rides. Your life is in the hands of some meth addict living town to town on a shoestring budget.
Unemployed
AG
titanmaster_race said:

CDUB98 said:

I hate carnival rides.

Same for me with my business degree.
Canyon99
titanmaster_race said:

CDUB98 said:

I hate carnival rides.

Same for me with social.
Prune Tracy
wbt5845
AG
Gangster Octopus said:

RealTalk said:

titanmaster_race said:

CDUB98 said:

I hate carnival rides.

Same for me with my engineering degrees (ID & MID).

Neither of which is actually an engineering degree.
DannyDuberstein
AG
wbt5845 said:

Gangster Octopus said:

RealTalk said:

titanmaster_race said:

CDUB98 said:

I hate carnival rides.

Probably the type of fake engineer that designed that ride.
Prune Tracy
Ags-R-Better
Gangster Octopus said:

RealTalk said:

titanmaster_race said:

CDUB98 said:

I hate carnival rides.

LOL - ID = engineering.
Prune Tracy
Flashdiaz
AG
aglaohfour
AG
I'm with all of the rest of you. Why on earth would I get on (or let my kids) a ride that was several pieces on the bed of an 18 wheeler the day before and subsequently 'built' by a carney? Hell no.
duffelpud
AG
idAg09
wbt5845 said:

Gangster Octopus said:

RealTalk said:

titanmaster_race said:

CDUB98 said:

I hate carnival rides.

Haha, as an ID grad I laughed. Haha
agdaddy04
AG
The guys I've met that own the rides are good people but seeing the shortcuts they take are the reason we'll never ride them. They'll blatantly avoid our advice when suggesting changes that should be done with their hydraulic systems. There is one guy that comes down for the Rodeo each year and he religiously changes the fluid and filters his system but most don't.

Load holding valves that aren't in good snap anymore...not for me.
Liquid Wrench
I'm not watching the video. I'm sure it's something similar to the mental images I have when I walk by those things.
Kitten With A Whip
Holy cow that is brutal!!!! I wish I hadn't watched that first one. I don't think I will ever forget that...
John Francis Donaghy
Gangster Octopus said:

RealTalk said:

titanmaster_race said:

CDUB98 said:

I hate carnival rides.

Same for me and my history degree.
94DallasAG
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Gangster Octopus said:

RealTalk said:

titanmaster_race said:

CDUB98 said:

I hate carnival rides.

Same for me and my history degree.

I could probably have my mom dig up my kindergarden attendance award. That's got mean something in this situation.
Beer Baron
AG
duffelpud said:

OW! My heart!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.