Assess My Kid’s Freshman Schedule

6,184 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Seersucker Ag 2011
86 Tex Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am proud to have a FTAC 2021. He's a math whiz and just got around to registering for classes at his new student conference. Here's his schedule as a fish in statistics:

STAT-211, UGST-181, POLS-207, CSCE-110, MATH-221

I think it's 14 hours. He somehow arranged it so he has no classes on Friday. So, friends on TexAgs, is this an easy, average, or difficult course load for an incoming fish? Any other feedback?

As an old ag, I think the only class I had in common with him was the political science course. I'm also thinking the math course is ambitious and had no idea what UGST-181 was until I looked it up.
Ragoo
AG
there is no easy schedule if you are up until 2-3 am every night hanging out with your new friends.
John Francis Donaghy
Quote:

GIRLS-211, BEER-181, GIRLS-207, BEER-110, GIRLS-221

Fixed it for him.
GinaLinetti
AG
He should be fine. I hated stat but if he is a math kid it at the math course should be a breeze. The others look like easy a's
EFE
AG
Needs to get another hour of something so he has room to drop a 3hr if need be.
TTUArmy
Be ready for a couple of changes in major. It happens. They go in wanting to be chemical engineers and come out with a degree in Agriculture Economics. Just roll with it.

Claude!
Congratulations.
JayAggie
AG
If he would self describe himself as a math whiz and (no offense) you aren't just bragging then he should be good. I would be worried about no Friday classes in his 1st semester and if will he stay focused, does he plan on getting a job? I wouldn't worry about 14 hours.

UGST should be an easy A, and you probably get a B just for showing up. CSCE should also be easy, relatively speaking.

His main focus will be POLS (most reading), STAT (if he's a math wiz and gets the basic concepts early he should be fine), MATH in that order.

It seems like a good balance of subjects and a good litmus test for how he can handle the load.
JayAggie
AG
Quote:

This is true. Can he add a KINE course? Those will all be easy A's and if he has to drop a course he will still be full time student.
wbt5845
AG
Too bad you couldn't get him into a better school, though.
ac04
fellow math whiz here. it won't take him long to figure out he can skip class, chase women, and drink/smoke himself stupid most of the time and still get good grades. congrats!
86 Tex Ag
AG
Good feedback so far, thanks. As for the extra 1 hour course (I am guessing 12 credits is still classified as a full-time student), can you no longer take a 1-hour phys ed course like racquetball? Or is that now a KINE offering? What else can you get 1 or 2 credit hours in?
oldschool87
AG
Let the kid take 12 hours his first semester, get his feet under him.

I unlike all the other 4.0 majors will say, if your not a whiz at math, the stats class and the math class will be tough, especially for a freshman. But hey, I was the only one who couldn't bench 225 20 times or break 4.3 in the 40 or graduate with a 4.0.

Getting off to a good start with GPA is a huge, huge key! It will be much more beneficial to take fewer hours, nail the classes and figure out what college is about than try and cram 15 18 hours in to the first semester and get off on the wrong foot. He/she will feel like they are fighting up hill for a while.

It's like a snowman on hole 1. It just weighs on your whole round.

Also get a very clear definition and make sure you understand when and how Q drop works. If for whatever reason a class goes south on the first test, dont be afraid to bail. Make a snowman, then go back and start over!
979ag
AG
Only critique for me is I would change the statistics major and major in something in the Business school.
bmc13
AG
what's his highest level of math going in? AP cal 2?
HBCanine08
AG
TTUArmy said:

Be ready for a couple of changes in major. It happens. They go in wanting to be chemical engineers and come out with a degree in Agriculture Economics. Just roll with it.

True. But mechanical engineering to political science.
AgsMyDude
AG
CSCE-110 outta be a fun one, whose teaching it these days?
CDUB98
AG
Stop being a helicopter dad and let him figure it out on his own.
Kate Beckett
AG
CSCE gives me nightmares. Well ENGr-112 which was basically that, anyways. I do not have a coding mind. If he does, then he should be okay.
CDUB98
AG
I'm a math guy and made a 45 on my first STAT 211 test. First test ever at A&M. Oops. Wake up call.

Pulled a B in the end.

I'm no genius like ac04 though.
Wildman15
AG
No classes on Friday means he's already learned all of the good alcohol specials are on Thursday night. Kid will be going places
BenFiasco14
AG
86 Tex Ag said:

Good feedback so far, thanks. As for the extra 1 hour course (I am guessing 12 credits is still classified as a full-time student), can you no longer take a 1-hour phys ed course like racquetball? Or is that now a KINE offering? What else can you get 1 or 2 credit hours in?

Yes, KINE courses are typically 1 hour. If he has fridays free, he should look into doing a KINE course that only meets on fridays. I did that once and found it very enjoyable. I took Scuba Diving and I think it was actually 2 credits. There's a ton of stuff out there to take and it's a good opportunity to experience a sport or activity he likes or would like to learn about.

YMMV.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
marble rye
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Might I recommend Intermediate Tennis? Not too easy, but not too difficult.
permabull
AG
86 Tex Ag
AG
So true. Ha! Best advice so far.
Ignatius_of_Silesia
979ag said:

Only critique for me is I would change the statistics major and major in something in the Business school.
Yes. There is only a one level drop to the lowest level at the University from statistics - Ag Majors.
Mr Gigem
AG
Wildman15 said:

No classes on Friday means he's already learned all of the good alcohol specials are on Thursday night. Kid will be going places

You were taught well
The Wonderer
AG
HBCanine08 said:

TTUArmy said:

True. But mechanical engineering to political science.

Nut being a lawyer is so much better than...an. engine...

Sorry, could say it with a straight face.
Wildman15
AG
AccidentProne said:

Wildman15 said:

You were taught well
austinAG90
AG
My daughter is also Class of 21'. We told her here is $200k for your college, good luck! Haven't help with anything else. She went in on her own and registered and is all set up, got a dorm and parking spot.

She knows to meet Mom and I at Traditions on game days if she wants to see us.

Not that hard to let them figure it out in their own

HC
Ignatius_of_Silesia
austinAG90 said:

My daughter is also Class of 21'. We told her here is $200k for your college, good luck! Haven't help with anything else. She went in on her own and registered and is all set up, got a dorm and parking spot.

She knows to meet Mom and I at Traditions on game days if she wants to see us.

Not that hard to let them figure it out in their own

My wife and I will be walking our daughter to class and home her first year at A&M much like we do now at middle school. She will finally get that phone she's been begging for if she's able to get 4.0 on her first 30 hours. If she handles everything well she will be able to go on a date by herself when she's 22.
austinAG90
AG
And pregnant at 23!

HTH
Ignatius_of_Silesia
austinAG90 said:

And pregnant at 23!

HTH

Sure as hell beats me having to take care of her child in middle school and high school. Have plenty of those in our extended family. All from well educated aggies like myself.
CHEN Ag 2019
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

something easy like a KINE. great way to make friends too! I'm c/o 19
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.