Teacher turns to panhandling to buy supplies for students

5,799 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
BlueAg2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She did do the golf pencil thing. They were all gone in about a week or so. We have a running joke that the kids eat them.
Tanya 93
I knew HS teachers that required an ID or cell phone to be given to borrow a pen.

rhoswen
AG
I just simply don't give them one. Come to class at the very least with something to write with or don't come at all. At least borrow one from someone.
BlueAg2003
AG
These are third and fourth graders, so she kind of has to.
GinaLinetti
AG
I break regular pencils into 3-4 tiny pieces and sharpen one end. (I also duck tape the jagged edge but I have littles) you are left with about an inch and a half of pencil. I use it to correct pencil grasp, but it's a ***** to do lots of writing with. Have her try it. If she has 5 kids come in without one during a class, break that 1 pencil into tiny pieces and have them sharpen one end.
rhoswen
AG
Yeah I've got HS so I can get away with being meaner.
GinaLinetti
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

These are third and fourth graders, so she kind of has to.

I totally get that. Secondary is way different than elementary. Elementary can't really control their parents not getting them supplies. By secondary they should be able to keep up with a pencil when someone gives them one
boboguitar
AG
Pam Poovey said:

boboguitar said:

Pam telling others to stop complaining is priceless.

I guess I missed the countless threads and FB posts where I complain about my job.

You are literally complaining about teachers you made up in your head in this thread.
Aston04
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

My wife spent hundreds of dollars last year on PENCILS. Her kids would come unprepared every single day without pencils. She would provide one out of her own supply and by the end of the day, the kids had "lost" them. She sent notes home to parents asking for more, but didn't get much of a response as it is in an inner-city and lapices are apparently costoso. So that turned into her buying packs and packs of new pencils every couple of weeks. This year she is handing out after-school detentions for any kid who comes to class unprepared. But the parents won't have their kids serve it and her principal probably won't back her up.
hundreds on pencils?

walmart has a 100 pack for less than 5 bucks....add some tape and teacher name on each and collect at end of class if really worried about it..that expense is nothing-- not worth picking a battle on.
BlueAg2003
AG
Yes. Hundreds by the end of the year. That includes map pencils for activities as well. I told you, the joke was that they were eating them. She attempted all you said and the pencils would never show back up at the end of class. She has to attach some kind of punishment to it this upcoming year to see if that will help, but the principal never backs her up on punishment anyway and the kids don't show up to detention. She had a parent get in her face last year and yell at her saying the child wasn't going to detention because the parent had to go to work and couldn't pick him up. So what are you going to do in that case?
jah003
S
Anytime a kid asks for a pencil in my classroom I tell them to go roam the hallways and look on the floor. They'll come back with a pencil every time... Pencils rarely disappear... They just get cycled through.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I teach high school so I don't have to worry about that crap. Come to class with something to write with or get a zero. Anything but blue or black ink or a pencil has points taken off. Waste my time while you walk around the classroom trying to borrow something to write with, I'm taking points off.
marble rye
AG
boboguitar said:

Pam Poovey said:

boboguitar said:

Pam telling others to stop complaining is priceless.

I guess I missed the countless threads and FB posts where I complain about my job.

You are literally complaining about teachers you made up in your head in this thread.

No. No I am not.
TheMasterplan
So you teach HS and borrow a guys pencil for sex but won't lend out other people pencils for work? How is that fair?
rhoswen
AG
What?
TheMasterplan
Because of all the sex female teachers keep having with students.
The Wonderer
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Because of all the sex female teachers keep having with students.
Maybe the teachers should start charging a fee. Then they'd be able to buy supplies.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.