Teacher turns to panhandling to buy supplies for students

5,801 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Teresa Danks is an elementary school teacher in Tulsa. She's been one since 1996. She says budget cuts have forced her to use her own money around $2,000 per year -- for classroom supplies.
So earlier this week, Teresa took to the streets to try to raise money for supplies. She stood on a street corner with a sign that reads, 'Teacher needs school supplies! Anything helps.'
Her story and photo quickly spread across the country. It went from raising money for supplies in her classroom to helping other teachers get supplies. She started a GoFundMe page and is hoping to raise $20,000 for classroom supplies. As of Sunday morning, she had raised $2,750.

http://www.khou.com/news/teacher-turns-to-panhandling-to-buy-supplies-for-students/458938857
GigEmAgs14
AG
buy an ad
superunknown
AG
Would
Unemployed
AG
Pen/pencil and paper are the only supplies a student need to learn. Be a teacher, not a beggar.
chiken
AG
I was going to say the same thing. My sister is a teacher and yes, she spends a lot of own money on items, but she knows it to make things "cuter" and "easier" to understand. If she used the bare basics, the job could be done but it wouldn't be as enjoyable for her or the children.
chipotle
Maybe if they worked during the summer they wouldn't have to beg.
BQ_90
AG
chipotle said:

oh chit, gonna go 5 pages now.
IrishTxAggie
AG
chipotle said:

STOP GIVING PEOPLE NOROVIRUS!!!
GinaLinetti
AG
chiken said:

I was going to say the same thing. My sister is a teacher and yes, she spends a lot of own money on items, but she knows it to make things "cuter" and "easier" to understand. If she used the bare basics, the job could be done but it wouldn't be as enjoyable for her or the children.

Pretty much. I know teachers who spend thousands a year to make it Pinterest worthy. I spend probably $500 for basics every year, but I'm in a well funded school. There is a reason teachers are fleeing Oklahoma though. Many aren't allowed to ask for supplies from parents anymore and the schools don't have the budget to purchase them. Pretty sad.
NoahAg
Quote:

She started a GoFundMe page and is hoping to raise $20,000 for classroom supplies.
$20K?!?! Is she buying her students gold-plated iPads? What about all the crap that parents are already required to buy?

chipotle
chiken said:

If it wasn't for that pretty blue border around the cork board with the cartoon bears hugging the mathematics symbols I would have never gotten out of the first grade. Thank you Ms. Boydston. You da real MVP.
Ignatius_of_Silesia
Can any of you internet stalkers get a shot of her tits? That will go a long way towards my generosity.
The Wonderer
AG
Ignac said:

Can any of you internet stalkers get a shot of her tits? That will go a long way towards my generosity.
Best I could find quickly.
bagger05
AG
My friend that's a teacher uses donorschoose.org.

My understanding is that people are funding specific projects, so if you're a teacher you can't just say "give me money for school supplies" -- you have to say "this is a project I want to do for my classroom, these are the materials I need, this is what your money is going toward."
Ignatius_of_Silesia
The Wonderer said:

Ignac said:

Best I could find quickly.

That's worth a twenty.
752bro4
AG
gigemags-99
AG
752bro4 said:

Well if these teachers had any type of business sense, they would be in the real world making money, not asking for handouts. Instead, they're one step above a vagrant with a Styrofoam cup on Harry Hines.

You're a teacher, aren't you?
RiskManager93
AG
My wife taught in Wylie before we moved to Tulsa so I could attend law school. She was hired by Tulsa Union, which is one of the better districts in the state, in 2004. Her salary was $28,500/yr. We routinely used my student loan money to purchase school supplies for her classroom because the state doesn't give them an allowance like they do in Texas.

At that time, teacher salaries in Oklahoma ranked 49th in the nation.
OldArmy91
AG
Why the heck do teachers spend money on supplies?

If the parents can't get off their fat asses and pony up a few bucks for pencil & paper, start flunking the kids and that **** will stop.

We started off with free lunches for the little bastages, then on to free breakfast, now this? What's next, do the teachers have to go to their houses to teach because the yellow dog ain't good enough?

The Wonderer
AG
OldArmy91 said:

If the parents can't get off their fat asses and pony up a few bucks for pencil & paper, start flunking the kids and that **** will stop.

We started off with free lunches for the little bastages, then on to free breakfast, now this? What's next, do the teachers have to go to their houses to teach because the yellow dog ain't good enough?

You're going to flunk kids for being poor? That'll go over really well.
rhoswen
AG
RiskManager95 said:

My wife taught in Wylie before we moved to Tulsa so I could attend law school. She was hired by Tulsa Union, which is one of the better districts in the state, in 2004. Her salary was $28,500/yr. We routinely used my student loan money to purchase school supplies for her classroom because the state doesn't give them an allowance like they do in Texas.

At that time, teacher salaries in Oklahoma ranked 49th in the nation.

What? We get an allowance????
Talon2DSO
AG
Oh hey look at me, I'm a lazy public school teacher with 4 months worth of vacation and still beetch about not getting paid enough. I'm the martyr for the cause to force a conversation about how "underpaid" we are for teaching a very basic test and babysitting.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
OldArmy91 said:

Swarely
When I'm a good boy I do.
Ragoo
AG
ol'Porkbelly
AG
Staff, for the sake of Texas A&M's reputation, please delete this thread before it gets seen by the general public.
Lungblood
I ain't got no blood in mah veins.
I just got... them 4 lanes, of hardass...
Amarillo Highway.
Ragoo
AG
The Wonderer said:

OldArmy91 said:

i suppose the state made that decision when they cut funding, no? if you show up to anything unprepared you fail.
Tanya 93
Ragoo said:

The Wonderer said:

OldArmy91 said:

i suppose the state made that decision when they cut funding, no? if you show up to anything unprepared you fail.
And then the teacher is fired for poor classroom performance because too many kids fail.

When you don't make a ton of money, spending 4 digits, in order to be able to do the job so you can keep it, isn't always doable.

She is playing this game their legislature set up. She looks like the heroine trying to do the best she can for her kids and elected leaders look like Twunty McDooosches for making teachers beg for money for supplies.
Predmid
AG
Schools already panhandle and beg for money through local bond elections and property/sales taxes.

They're just mad there's competition now.
GigEmAgs14
AG
Talon2DSO said:

Oh hey look at me, I'm a lazy public school teacher with 4 months worth of vacation and still beetch about not getting paid enough. I'm the martyr for the cause to force a conversation about how "underpaid" we are for teaching a very basic test and babysitting.
10 pages now
Bruce Almighty
AG
I spend quite a bit. I've had to buy beakers, graduated cylinders and other lab equipment. I also paid to have all our microscopes refurbished.
crowman2010
AG
On another note, if any teachers need grant money, you can always apply through the Christy's Wish Foundation.

http://christyswish.org/apply-for-a-grant/

Wildcat
AG
I suspect she is at I40 and MacArthur (my go-to exit for a Taco Cabana fix when headed back to Texas). There's always a slew of panhandlers at that intersection.
rhoswen
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I spend quite a bit. I've had to buy beakers, graduated cylinders and other lab equipment. I also paid to have all our microscopes refurbished.

Wow. I'll buy bleach and ammonia and vinegar and balloons and whatnot but lab equipment is $$$$! I'm also buying my own desk chair & bench chair this year but I don't count that cuz I'll take them when I leave.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.