Restaurant limits alcohol to parents who drive and bring their kids

4,393 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 62strat
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

A New York restaurant's policy about selling drinks to parents has become a big hit with most of its patrons.

Peddler's Bar and Grille, located in Clifton Park, New York, will not serve a second alcoholic drink to any adult driving with children.

Quote:

Customers generally don't have a problem with the rule. But, there are occasionally some who take their frustration out on the waitresses.

"They do get berated at the tables and some come back very very upset, but the managers go to the table and they explain, we're not picking on parents, it's just something that we feel in our hearts is something that we can do in order to help," Gravelle said.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/offbeat/new-york-restaurant-limits-parents-to-one-drink-if-kids-are-with-them
Scoopen Skwert
AG
This I support.

Meant thumbs up.
AgEng06
AG
I can't say I'm surprised. This is the same state that wanted to limit the size of fountain drinks.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Apples and oranges.
Flashdiaz
AG
being New York (or anywhere), how can they tell the parents drove? Taxi, Uber, Lyft, walk, bike, ....

Regardless, I have no problem with a restaurant doing what they want legally, it's their business and if they lose\gain customers because of this, it's on them.
Cancelled
AG
NYE about 3 years ago we went to dinner with some guests from Europe. The waiter was being a royal dick and demanded driver's licenses from all who wanted to drink. He wouldn't serve without them. We had licenses, but our guests did not. Understand that our guests were 55 and older with teenage kids.

I went straight to the manager and raised hell.

The point is that sometimes common sense is best.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It's simple: if you really want to get wasted at dinner with your kids sitting next to you and this establishment won't server you, there's probably an Applebee's nearby where they don't care.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Waiting to hear people defending getting liquored up as some sort of inalienable right.

It
Know Your Enemy
AG
If both parents are there can one get liquored up while the other doesn't drink?
Talon2DSO
AG
Private business doing private business things. Great for them!
Lungblood
I think it's great that a company has the right to run its business the way it sees fit.
GinaLinetti
AG
bh93 said:

Waiting to hear people defending getting liquored up as some sort of inalienable right.

It

Sure you can be a boozehound if you want. It's also within the establishments rights to limit booze to any patron.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
That's why I'm agree with them. Smart move by the business too with legal ramifications and all.
Unemployed
AG
bh93 said:

That's why I'm agree with them. Smart move by the business too with legal ramifications and all.
What legal ramifications?
NoahAg
Twist: What if the parents are gay???
chiken
AG
I've always thought it's in poor taste to drink while your children are in tow. It's fine at home, but don't f'ing drink and drive with a kid present. They can't find other ways home if they think you're too trashed.
GinaLinetti
AG
If a customer is overserved at an establishment and then gets in an accident the bar can face fines and potential civil litigation. At least here in Texas. I'm not sure about other states
Unemployed
AG
CherryLodes said:

If a customer is overserved at an establishment and then gets in an accident the bar can face fines and potential civil litigation. At least here in Texas. I'm not sure about other states
Yes...but what does that have to do with the children being there? That law applies whether you're by yourself or with kids in tow.
gigemags-99
AG
Leave the kids in the car...problem solved
Ragoo
AG
chiken said:

I've always thought it's in poor taste to drink while your children are in tow. It's fine at home, but don't f'ing drink and drive with a kid present. They can't find other ways home if they think you're too trashed.
agreed.

although, i wish restaurants would take this stand not just with children in their parents care but also towards the general public too.
GinaLinetti
AG
I have no clue. I was just answering with what I knew.
Tanya 93
chiken said:

You don't drink anywhere other than at home?

You never have a girls' night out?
Been to a Bachelorette party?
Ragoo
AG
IN TOW, silly.
Tanya 93
Ragoo said:

IN TOW, silly.
Why does it matter if kids are in tow?

If she is drunk, it doesn't matter if she doesn't have kids with her.
Someone else's kids could be killed by the driving.

chiken
AG
Tanya 93 said:

chiken said:

You don't drink anywhere other than at home?

You never have a girls' night out?
Been to a Bachelorette party?

I do not drink anywhere other than home if I am driving.
I have had a girls night out, yes. I do not drink if I am driving.
I've been to a bacherlorette party. I do not drink if I am driving.

And I especially wouldn't drink if I had children in tow with me.

For reference, my sister was hit by a drunk driver when I was 17. Her heart stopped beating twice but they were able to bring her back to lie. Her fianc was killed. Pardon me if I don't see the point of drinking and driving.
Human
AG
Lo siento chika
Tanya 93
Thank you for answering, but the whole idea just because they have kids with them is stupid.

That is why I asked.
And it is awesome you have never had a drink and then drove.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Ragoo said:

IN TOW, silly.

She answered this question in the first post you quoted. Maybe actually read the posts you're quoting.
Tanya 93
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

Tanya 93 said:

Ragoo said:

IN TOW, silly.

She answered this question in the first post you quoted. Maybe actually read the posts you're quoting.
No she didn't.

I get it now. But what I asked her was to clarify something for me. What is the difference if the kids are with you or not?
chiken
AG
*shrugs*

It's my opinion, but it's irresponsible to drink/drive period, but especially when you're driving your children around.

Children don't have the ability to save themselves from their parents mistakes. Being a parent requires responsibility. Part of that responsibility, again, in my opinion, is reducing any danger when possible. There's just no benefit to drinking/driving, let alone while chauffeuring your children.

I honestly don't see why this isn't common sense. It's tacky as all get out.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Tanya 93 said:

No she didn't.

I get it now. But what I asked her was to clarify something for me. What is the difference if the kids are with you or not?
Quote:

Quote:

They can't find other ways home if they think you're too trashed.
Tanya 93

Tanya 93 said:

No she didn't.

Quote:

Quote:

They can't find other ways home if they think you're too trashed.

She clarified what I asked.

She doesn't drink anywhere other than her home if she needs to drive.
A drunk driver without kids in the car still can kill kids if they hit another car.
The Collective
AG
Why do we have to protect people from Darwinism?
Ragoo
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Ragoo said:

IN TOW, silly.

agree 100%, I think chicken's post was speaking to someone having even 1 drink with their kids with them.
swc93
AG
So we are so soft now that one drink is a limit?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.