Astonishing Video -- Aggie Makes Daring Rescue Of Iraqi Girl

8,448 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Our-turn-to-rule
Aggie Network
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
A 1983 Texas A&M graduate runs through a hail of gunfire in Iraq to rescue a young girl in a dramatic video online.

'I thought, "If I die doing this, my wife and kids would understand,"' David Eubank '83 told the Los Angeles Times after the video circulated worldwide via the internet.

Eubank is a 1983 political science graduate of Texas A&M and the founder of Free Burma Rangers, a Christian-based aid organization formed to help displaced people in Burma after a series of Burma Army offensives in 1997 forced more than 100,000 people to flee their homes.

In 2015, Free Burma Rangers changed its focus to start helping victims of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

"A&M gave me a comprehensive education and the Corps taught me how to be both a good follower and a good leader," Eubank told Texas Aggie magazine for a story in 2012. "The adversity one faces in the Corps is great preparation for any challenge. I have always thought, 'Well, that is not as tough as fish year!'"

The entire Eubank family--Dave, Karen, and their three children--work together in Iraq, just as they did in Burma. "Although people would say it's dangerous," Karen Eubank told the L.A. Times, the work "brings meaning."

Read the full story at tx.ag/EubankVideo.
The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
NoahAg
Quote:

David "BAMF" Eubank
FIFY.
Burrus86
AG
So much for JFF rescuing the kitten on Wellborn Road......
aTm2004
AG
I don't know how he ran out there with his balls dragging the ground.
swimmerbabe11
Quote:

'I thought, "If I die doing this, my wife and kids would understand,"' David Eubank '83 told the Los Angeles Times after the video circulated worldwide via the internet.

That part cracked me up.

Also, are they really just wearing tshirts?

Matsui
AG
they act so calm
wow
Godspeed
swimmerbabe11
Is that a bunch of dead bodies stacked directly across from the vehicle?
Dread Pirate Roberts
Awesome! You're doing great work, Mr. Eubanks!
Dread Pirate Roberts
swimmerbabe11 said:

Is that a bunch of dead bodies stacked directly across from the vehicle?
There probably are some dead bodies. However, the man that's sitting up puts his hand on someone else and then it appears that person's head moves.
swimmerbabe11
Right, I'm very confused about what is going on.
Why is that guy just chillin there then?
swimmerbabe11
hush. Don't politicize it. You'll ruin everything.

I am just trying to understand exactly what is happening.

Who are the people not trying to leave over there vs the lil girl who got saved.
CrottyKid
AG
The guy in the purple shirt directly in front of the guys laying down covering fire is definitely dead.
Dread Pirate Roberts
swimmerbabe11 said:

I think those have taken cover and are relatively safe from bullets. The girl was to our left of the building and apparently wasn't protected from the gun battle.

It is weird to see them that calm with multiple people shooting and a gigantic tank turning its weapon around.
bedofbrass33
AG
I will not be silenced!

Luckily I've never been shot at but they might be too paralyzed to move. The garbage provides more cover than running through the open without armor.
AgEng06
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

From the story:
Quote:

In the Los Angeles Times interview, Eubank described the situation leading up to the rescue caught in the video. Eubank said he saw many bodies, including women, children and the elderly, scattered over a street in Mosul, near a destroyed factory:

All had been shot, he said, by Islamic State snipers cutting down those fleeing the hell their neighborhood had become as Iraqi forces fought to dislodge the jihadists from their so-called Iraqi capital.

Then, in the distance, Eubank noticed movement among a group of corpses clustered before a wall pocked by bullets: A half-naked toddler stumbled over the bodies; a girl of about 5 peeked from under the hijab of her dead mother; propped up against the wall, a wounded man waved for help.

True super heroes at work!
Canyon99
HeadGames
AG
Wow, some Good Bull there. Heroes!
74OA
AG
Dread Pirate Roberts said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I think those have taken cover and are relatively safe from bullets. The girl was to our left of the building and apparently wasn't protected from the gun battle.

It is weird to see them that calm with multiple people shooting and a gigantic tank turning its weapon around.
They're all dead.

aTm2004
AG
Seriously, the TMF should give this guy tickets to a suite on the 50 yard line for the Alabama game, complete with a prime parking spot and unlimited booze.
aTm2004
AG
Holy crap that hurts to look at. That poor child.
45-70Ag
AG
Damn that pic is hard to process.

Luckily that child had an angel that day.
vin1041
AG
Great story!!!!!!!
Tanya 93
Dammit

We need to make this a cause for CNN Heroes, like Brad's group was.

Get them recognition to get them more money because they are freaking angels walking this Earth.

74OA
AG
.....now contemplate the mindset of the men who murdered those families.
swimmerbabe11
Quote:

propped up against the wall, a wounded man waved for help.

Okay, so that's the guy I was seeing over there probably.

Geez. So sad.
Wildcat
AG
74OA said:

.....now contemplate the mindset of the men who murdered those families.

This. Civilians fleeing Mozul, and you just set-up shop and snipe them as they try to escape? WTH is wrong with these people?
FiTxAg04
AG
My God, that picture is painful to look at. The monsters who perpetuate such despicable acts should be unmercifully wiped off the face of the earth.
swimmerbabe11
I wanna adopt her and hug her and feed her and give her all the love.
anaggieshusband
https://reachchildren.com/
unimboti nkum
AG
aTm2004 said:

Seriously, the TMF should give this guy tickets to a suite on the 50 yard line for the Alabama game, complete with a prime parking spot and unlimited booze.

How can we make his happen?
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
fishag04
AG
The LA Times article implies that the toddler climbing over those dead bodies was probably killed. The poster above is correct that said it is hard to even process what is going on in that picture. I am generally against the US fighting other people's wars but something has to be done about ISIS. This shiz is completely f'n out of control!
Ag_of_08
AG
Man should be pinned with any award they can hang on him, from the university to the US gov.

That was incredible bravery, I cannot imagine the courage it took to voluntarily run out into automatic weapons fire like that, unarmed.
bkag9824
AG
74OA said:

They're all dead.

Look at that photo again and process the fact that the little girl he rescued in the video is a different child than the one shown in the above photo.

God bless that man and his family.
agrams
AG
I know there are rules of engagement and laws of warfare, but I am ok with whatever means the good guys can find to kill people who do those kind of things. On some level, I wish we used more flamethrowers....
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.