Electrical question

3,189 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 5C
Fonzie Scheme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have never been in a building that has these. I have only seen it in television and the movies.

Why did older structures apparently have a two-button switch for lighting? What changed that we now have the simple "up-down" model? It seems the picture-shows would have us believe the older model would convey a sense of authenticity to a stately home.

Of course, I realize the main reason the change occurred is because I touch myself at night. However, any other insight you may have would be most welcome.
91_Aggie
AG
Probably increases in technology that allow the "switching" to work better than two separate buttons.

Plus, with two buttons it is difficult to see the current "state" (unless a button stays depressed, and even then it would be difficult to see). Also, with two buttons there are two things that can malfunction, instead of one with the switch.

But back to seeing the obvious state. With the Up/Down switch, you can easily see that it should be on, and if it isn't on, then you can see that something is not working (electricity/light bulb/etc).

5C
AG
Toggle switches are made with quick break technology ... meaning the contacts in the circuit open quickly in a "snap" type function to prevent arcing and pitting of the metal contacts. It's also less expensive to use one switch.
tandy miller
AG
Anyone ever stay in a hotel that required the room key be in a slot on the wall for the electricity to work?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Thank you very much for your insightful answer. It was not a question of necessity, but one of curiosity.
SWCBonfire
AG
Cost to manufacture
Fonzie Scheme
AG
tandy miller said:

Anyone ever stay in a hotel that required the room key be in a slot on the wall for the electricity to work?

I have. It's another ploy by hoteliers to fool the masses into belief that they actually care about the environment. It isn't unlike their scheme to reuse your towels.
TexasRebel
AG
In some cases the 2-button switches work a latching relay.

This happens when there are more lights than a normal switch can operate on the circuit. The normally open "on" button will energize the relay coil which latches until the circuit is broken with the normally closed "off" button.
swc93
AG
Older home we lived in in Indiana had some knob and tube wiring with the two button switches that had not been updated yet. I just left them alone; wasn't sure if the KnT wiring would allow for a newer flip switch or not and this was before Google so I couldn't find the answer without asking some crusty old person.
Human
AG
Big ol cans,

Of electricity

So hot...

tandy miller
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

tandy miller said:

I have. It's another ploy by hoteliers to fool the masses into belief that they actually care about the environment. It isn't unlike their scheme to reuse your towels.
So dumb. The hotels I stayed at in Europe all had this. It was always fun to come home to a room that is 85 degrees because the AC has been off all day in the summer. We wised up to it pretty quick though. Since they had a day shift and night shift person in the same rooms we would just leave one of our keys in it all the time and pass the other back and forth every day
Tater Salad
tandy miller said:

This is very common in Great Britain, but I've never encountered it in the U.S.
tandy miller
AG
This was in Italy and Romania
Vernada
AG
piss poor humble brags
MouthBQ98
AG
Same in Singapore
SidetrackAg
AG
Nah.

They tried putting buttons on my yacht for lights. I'm already paying millions for this super yacht filled with models, the hell do I want with out of date buttons? They changed them to sensors that adjust when I walk in the room.
AgEng06
AG

credit swimmer's droopy thread
Madaman
AgEng06 said:

this is probably thought to be good engineering, based on the dodge sign next to the outlet.
nai06
AG
tandy miller said:

Fonzie Scheme said:

tandy miller said:

So dumb. The hotels I stayed at in Europe all had this. It was always fun to come home to a room that is 85 degrees because the AC has been off all day in the summer. We wised up to it pretty quick though. Since they had a day shift and night shift person in the same rooms we would just leave one of our keys in it all the time and pass the other back and forth every day

An old Kroger card is my go to option
UnderoosAg
AG
Tater Salad said:

tandy miller said:

This is very common in Great Britain, but I've never encountered it in the U.S.

It's coming sooner rather than later.

For years evolving energy codes drove everything towards more efficient sources. It pushed everyone from incandescent to fluorescent, and then from fluorescent to LED. LED components are improving, but it's not the drastic jump previously seen, and the focus has become controls to turn more things off.

Lone Stranger
Stayed at a Courtyard in Madison, WI a couple of years ago where you had to insert your room card key into "the dock in the wall of the room" before the electrical stuff would work. Damn communists!
Ag 11
AG
You should try taking a dump in the dark with no power
Ragoo
AG
Sounds like their infrastructure is not current.
SWCBonfire
AG
Madaman said:

AgEng06 said:

this is probably thought to be good engineering, based on the dodge sign next to the outlet.

Probably should be GFCI.
eeinhouston
2-button switches were needed for old aluminum wired houses. Now everything is wired with copper.
Ragoo
AG
eeinhouston said:

2-button switches were needed for old aluminum wired houses. Now everything is wired with copper.
thanks Al
IIIHorn
AgEng06 said:

Available at your nearest outlet mall.
5C
AG
eeinhouston said:

What would aluminum wire have to do with a toggle vs. 2-button switch?
Ag with kids
AG
tandy miller said:

Every hotel I've stayed at internationally...

It's apparently just the US that doesn't do this.
Ag with kids
AG
nai06 said:

tandy miller said:

Fonzie Scheme said:

tandy miller said:

An old Kroger card is my go to option

Yeah. I do something like that too...

Doesn't need to be the actual room key.
eeinhouston
SMC Flex said:

eeinhouston said:

I'm the EE here. You are forbidden from asking logical questions. Move along.
5C
AG
eeinhouston said:

SMC Flex said:

eeinhouston said:

I'm the EE here. You are forbidden from asking logical questions. Move along.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.