Prenup or No Prenup

12,175 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by B-1 83
SkiMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The divorced thread got me thinking...

Any of you decide to go the prenup route before getting married? And what are your thoughts on it? I have significantly more assets than the person I am dating and really want to protect those if I decide to get married. I'm in my late 30s so I have worked a good portion of my life to get where I am and don't want to lose half of that **** if things were to go south down the road.

And if you didn't get a prenup, would you do so if you decide to remarry?
OnlyForNow
AG
If you start a marriage out on that note... good luck.
Drawkcab
You're not ready for marriage.
SkiMo
AG
Are either of you divorced?
histag10
AG
If you are worried about her taking you for half of everything, and you are only dating right now, chances are she's not the right woman for you.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Joe Exotic
AG
It depends on wether your are emotional or logical. Emotional problem get them. Logical people don't.
Wildcat
AG
It's sumpin nat you need to have

Cuz when she leave yo azz, she gon leave wit have
SkiMo
AG
I honestly don't think that he is that type of person. He's an awesome person and loyal and comes from a really good family. I'm just asking the question from a business standpoint. I'm not sure anyone who hasn't been through a divorce has the experience to answer honestly.
superunknown
AG
histag10 said:

If you are worried about her taking you for half of everything, and you are only dating right now, chances are she's not the right woman for you.

Pretty sure the right woman doesnt exist for skimo.
Ragoo
AG
why would someone date another person with significantly fewer assets? that is like saying I am dating someone who is vegan but I only eat meat.
SkiMo
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

It depends on wether your are emotional or logical. Emotional problem get them. Logical people don't.
I would say just the opposite is true. Emotional people are overcome with love and emotions at the time leaving logic out of the door. Statistics prove that about half of all marriages end in divorce. Logically speaking, there is a good chance that your marriage will end in divorce. I think prenups have a bad connotation. It's basically a document ensuring that an already painful process (divorce) won't get drug out through the courts wasting thousands of dollars and making it even more painful.
The Wonderer
AG
SkiMo said:

Any of you decide to go the prenup route before getting married? And what are your thoughts on it? I have significantly more assets than the person I am dating and really want to protect those if I decide to get married. I'm in my late 30s so I have worked a good portion of my life to get where I am and don't want to lose half of that **** if things were to go south down the road.

You know the Inception of Title Rule bars your assets from pre-marriage to be subject to community property division, right?
Wildcat
AG
Ragoo said:

why would someone date another person with significantly fewer assets? that is like saying I am dating someone who is vegan but I only eat meat.
SkiMo
AG
The Wonderer said:

SkiMo said:

You know the Inception of Title Rule bars your assets from pre-marriage to be subject to community property division, right?
I do. But say you sell your house and then use the money from the sale to buy a new house when you get married then it becomes community property, right?
Carlo4
AG
My financial advisor and family have seriously asked me to consider it.

Only child so I will inherit half a family business and everything from my parents upon their death. What I have built up to this point is significantly bigger than what the SO has. She's been paying off student loans and debts and is nearly finished. Lack of debt early has helped me.

I'm not condering it as I want to marry once but i understand the landscape of marriage and what can be taken from me.
mike_ags_fan12
Lmao I'm not getting divorced
powerbelly
AG
In you shoes I would get a prenup.

I was LOL poor when I got married so it didn't matter.
Drawkcab
SkiMo said:

I'm not sure anyone who hasn't been through a divorce has the experience to answer honestly.

Agreed. People with successful marriages obviously have no clue what they're doing.
Unemployed
AG
histag10 said:

There's nothing wrong with being pragmatic. Even perfect beginnings have bad endings.

The question - "Are you expecting our marriage to eventually end up in a divorce?" - can be used as a rebuttal for both parties.
SkiMo
AG
Drawkcab said:

SkiMo said:

I'm not sure anyone who hasn't been through a divorce has the experience to answer honestly.

Agreed. People with successful marriages obviously have no clue what they're doing.
Congrats to you. But what I mean is, if you happened to be an unfortunate victim of divorce and lost a lot of money because of it then your perspective might change. Since things are perfect for you, you don't have real life experience to give a truly honest answer.
ham98
I think the use of hitmen to end marriages is a better asset protection strategy for marital failure
The Wonderer
AG
Pre-nups are just pre-made divorces that don't mean a thing if people don't activate them. While you may love your SO and are never, ever gonna give them up, that doesn't stop them from walking out on your ass while you're making eggs one Sunday morning.
The Wonderer
AG
SkiMo said:

The Wonderer said:

SkiMo said:

I do. But say you sell your house and then use the money from the sale to buy a new house when you get married then it becomes community property, right?
You'd need to look at tracing and transmutation of separate assets into communal.

http://www.baylor.edu/law/facultystaff/doc.php/268848.pdf
Beer Baron
AG
The Wonderer said:

Pre-nups are just pre-made divorces that don't mean a thing if people don't activate them. While you may love your SO and are never, ever gonna give them up, that doesn't stop them from walking out on your ass while you're making eggs one Sunday morning.
This. There would be a lot of attorneys out there with a lot less money in their pockets if everyone was required to have a prenup.
SkiMo
AG
The Wonderer said:

And that is my point. Thank you.
SkiMo
AG
The Wonderer said:

SkiMo said:

The Wonderer said:

SkiMo said:

You'd need to look at tracing and transmutation of separate assets into communal.

There in lies another issue. I live in a state with equitable distribution. But who knows where I will end up. I like moving around. A prenup also helps you keep **** consistent. If I moved to Texas then went through a divorce, the splitting of assets would be a lot more unfair.
powerbelly
AG
If your future wife is in it for the long haul it wont matter that you have a prenup.

If she is a gold digging ***** it will be an issue.
SkiMo
AG
powerbelly51 said:

If your future wife is in it for the long haul it wont matter that you have a prenup.

He's already mentioned without me every saying anything that he has no issue with a prenup. Another reason why I'm asking. The door was opened.
The Wonderer
AG
SkiMo said:

The Wonderer said:

SkiMo said:

The Wonderer said:

SkiMo said:

There in lies another issue. I live in a state with equitable distribution. But who knows where I will end up. I like moving around. A prenup also helps you keep **** consistent. If I moved to Texas then went through a divorce, the splitting of assets would be a lot more unfair.
One thing to keep in mind is to ensure that your pre-nup conforms to the state standards of whatever state you're in and has standard invalidity clauses so that only those parts that don't meet the standard of the state of jurisdiction for divorce are the only ones stuck and the entire document is not struck as invalid. States vary on pre-nups. Plan accordingly.
powerbelly
AG
SkiMo said:

powerbelly51 said:

He's already mentioned without me every saying anything that he has no issue with a prenup. Another reason why I'm asking. The door was opened.
I see no reason not to. I don't understand how prudent financial planning is a good idea to most people, except when talking marriage.
SkiMo
AG
The Wonderer said:

SkiMo said:

The Wonderer said:

SkiMo said:

The Wonderer said:

SkiMo said:

One thing to keep in mind is to ensure that your pre-nup conforms to the state standards of whatever state you're in and has standard invalidity clauses so that only those parts that don't meet the standard of the state of jurisdiction for divorce are the only ones stuck and the entire document is not struck as invalid. States vary on pre-nups. Plan accordingly.
Thank you for the advice!
histag10
AG
superunknown said:

histag10 said:

It's the 21st century, and I'm not here to judge

Sorry skiMo, was unaware you were a woman. In that case, no need to get a prenup. The courts will never make a woman give up her stuff to a man. It would be discrimination and antifeminist.
SkiMo
AG
histag10 said:

superunknown said:

histag10 said:

It's the 21st century, and I'm not here to judge

Sorry skiMo, was unaware you were a woman. In that case, no need to get a prenup. The courts will never make a woman give up her stuff to a man. It would be discrimination and antifeminist.
I'm an man, baby.
powerbelly
AG
powerbelly51 said:

If your future husband is in it for the long haul it wont matter that you have a prenup.

If he is a gold digging ***** it will be an issue.
FIFM
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.