How much do you and your spouse save monthly?

8,610 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 62strat
evestor1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As a landlord to 7 units...the typical middle class american has between 2000-4000 in savings. Most of my tenants and applicants have 45k-75k salaries and cant save $250 per month. Truly amazing!

Some tidbits

Most money I've in an account was by a couple w/ one kid, 18k income and 25k income. they had approximately 20k in the bank.

Most impressive I've seen was a guy making over 120k ... single ... no kids ... no pets ... old truck ... lost his job and defaulted on rent within two months. I'm assuming a drug problem or gambling.

In my house I've saved as much as 10k per month with wife working and probably average around 6k (401k, cash, not including equity.)
ViralAg
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

What would a bankruptcy lawyer two or three years out of A&M school of law be making?

Completely depends on what firm.
Jill
AG
To me the term "tightwad" depends on how much money you're making. My husband & I (both working) were putting away ~$1400/ month across various different accounts. Now that his student loan is paid off and the car is paid off we are putting away ~$2400/per month. Combined we make almost $200k though. So I would say that as our salaries go up, so would our savings. If we had tried to save that much when we were making a combined $100k then yeah, I would've considered that a tightwad situation and totally unworkable.

We've been very careful in the last few years to ensure that our standard of living doesn't increase just because our salary does.

Once we have no kids in daycare that'll be $2k back in our pocket. Sheesh.
BombayAg
Tatem said:

are you a COO of a water company?

ha ha no. We are both in the tech industry.
J-Gigs05
AG
We save enough to never have to finance a vehicle again. Straight cash. I'd suggest AT LEAST $1000. More you make the more you should save.
GunRangeGal
AG
Last time is checked our monthly spreadsheet (my husband spreadsheets our life) I think we save ~$1500-2000/mo. We've had some major expenses lately, so hopefully that number will continue to go up.
cwpaggie07
AG
SoTheySay said:

We have three kids in daycare so jack sheet seems like the appropriate answer.
Here
Floorguy
I just look at my accounts on 12-31 every year. If there is too much money in them, my New Years Resolution is to have more effing fun that year!!
Blanco Ag
AG
At a certain point, the question isn't so much about how much you're saving. It becomes about how much net worth you are creating for yourself. It's how you can optimize your cash savings vs paying down debt vs investments.
malibu9in1
Threefiddy???
62strat
AG
Jill said:

To me the term "tightwad" depends on how much money you're making. My husband & I (both working) were putting away ~$1400/ month across various different accounts. Now that his student loan is paid off and the car is paid off we are putting away ~$2400/per month. Combined we make almost $200k though. So I would say that as our salaries go up, so would our savings. If we had tried to save that much when we were making a combined $100k then yeah, I would've considered that a tightwad situation and totally unworkable.

We've been very careful in the last few years to ensure that our standard of living doesn't increase just because our salary does.

Once we have no kids in daycare that'll be $2k back in our pocket. Sheesh.
nm.. totally didn't read your last sentence hah.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Does nobody use Mint around here?

$1k-$2k a month for me.
george92
GunRangeGal said:

We've had some major expenses lately, so hopefully that number will continue to go up.

Those new tits should pay off in no time.
62strat
AG
I signed up for mint after so many people talking about it, but I quickly deleted my account. It was constantly asking me to update credentials to different accounts, drove me nuts.

USAA allows me to add outside accounts/debts, so I find it much easier just to keep it all in my bank. It has some basic budgeting and exporting tools as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.