Tampa, FL

3,518 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dale Earnhardts Stache
Pirate04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Although I still have the rest of this year, I am looking at my options for when I get done with school. I love my unit back in Texas but I want more opportunity and adventure while I'm still young and single. So, I am considering a transfer to a unit in Clearwater, FL.
Have any of y'all worked around or lived in the Tampa area or know someone who has and can provide some insight on the job climate and good areas to live?

Serious and typical GB responses accepted.

For your time..

Gil Renard
AG
Milk
5C
AG
Pirate04 said:

Although I still have the rest of this year, I am looking at my options for when I get done with school. I love my unit back in Texas but I want more opportunity and adventure while I'm still young and single. So, I am considering a transfer to a unit in Clearwater, FL.
Have any of y'all worked around or lived in the Tampa area or know someone who has and can provide some insight on the job climate and good areas to live?

Serious and typical GB responses accepted.

Fonzie Scheme
AG
That's the first thing I noticed too.
titanmaster_race
my old roommate from A&M used to live in Tampa. I'll see if he has any advice.

I've heard there is incredible greek food out there.
Pirate04
AG
Like that?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I spent three weeks there for work in the middle of summer. It was insanely hot.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Careful, Pirate. That's where Jameis Winston lives these days.
AggieBand2004
AG
I know nothing about the area, but I think you should do it. Uproot and go find an adventure
Pirate04
Post removed:
by user
Pirate04
AG
Well at least there's job opportunities.
Woody2006
AG
If you don't mind humidity, go for it. You'll only be there a few years anyways.

My only problem with Florida is that when you step outside it feels like a steam room.
aggie7911
Cigar City beer! My sister live in Dunedin loves it..Check it out..I wish I could move to Tampa
h1ag
AG
Why would you NOT move to the land of Hulk Hogan and Scientology?!

Tom Hagen
AG
The original Hooters is located in Clearwater.
jaypop
Lots of retirees from up north
HC
Expected a selfie if OP in Tampa. Disappointed
tk for tu juan
Pirate04 said:

Well at least there's job opportunities.

bmks270
AG
I lived there a few years. It's a nice calm city. Every end of January is Gasparilla, a pirate parade along Bayshore Blvd (which runs along the water of the bay) with tons of alcohol and beads, kinda like Mardi Gra but probably not quite as wild.

The nightlife is not that great but there are a few bars in Soho (short for South Howard) where most of the young and college crowd goes. Cigar city brewery is a good place and good beer, and Yeingling brewery and distribution center is in Tampa also.

Ybor city is maybe nice for lunch or early movie but at night it is like circus freak side show down there and also not the safest area after dark. There is a Coyote ugly there.

Someone mentioned the number of strip clubs, there are a lot. A famous strip club, Vons Minus, is not far from the Bucs Stadium. Tampa is also one of the top cities for human trafficking and the sex slave trade so the sex industry is not something for the city to brag about imo.

A lot of musicians also hit Tampa or Orlando on their tours so if you like concerts you shouldn't have a problem identifying a few to go to.

Sports there are the Rays, Bucs, and the NHL team the Lightning which the city really gets behind if they make the playoffs. The local college team is the USF Bulls who were 11-2 last year and their football games and season tickets are cheap so you could kill an afternoon that way. Charlie Strong is now their head coach.

The main industry to me seemed to be business and finance sort of stuff.

Traffic can suck and you may want to choose if you live in Tampa or across the bay in St. Pete or Clearwater based on where your office is. A lot of people cross the bay to commute and there are like 3 main highways that cross the bay.
bmks270
AG
There are a lot of good restaurants there too.
bmks270
AG
nice places to live near West Shore blvd, and Gandy, or near Bayshore blvd. and some places across the bay in St. Pete. Tampa has a lot of urban sprawl so you get very wealthy mixed in with more middle class and apartments.

Avoid anything near MLK Blvd and along Nebraska Ave or near Ybor. That is basically the ghetto of Tampa. Anything East of 275 between Ybor City and Bush Gardens I would avoid.

Forgot to mention there is Busch Gardens there with roller coasters and animals.

Tampa is also about 90 minute drive from Orlando so you can make some trips up there for the theme parks or nightlife if you find a cheap place to stay or know someone who will let you crash there.

Pirate04
AG
I literally can't even with that.
Pirate04
AG
Thank you for all of the information!! I'll be spending a lot of time flying in Clearwater and so far, I like what I see in St Pete. I'll most likely stay away from Tampa proper as far as living.
bmks270
AG
Pirate04 said:

Thank you for all of the information!! I'll be spending a lot of time flying in Clearwater and so far, I like what I see in St Pete. I'll most likely stay away from Tampa proper as far as living.

Oh yeah, downtown st.pete is a nice area and fun place for a night out. I have been out a few times there, always had a good time. Many good restaurants and bars.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.