How many of you olds saw The Exorcist in the theater?

1,978 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by $240 Worth of Pudding
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How effed up was it?
george92
I'm 47, ceo of an accounting firm and real estate investment company with 4 automobiles, 4 kids, lots of real estate and a wife and you won't ever catch me watching that effin movie. I've got enough chit keeping me awake at night.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Saw it in College Station when it first came out over 40 years ago...scared the crap out of me ! The theaters were over by Albertsons.
bert harbinson
AG
Watch it again. It's funny.
Philo B 93
VHS. The letters stand for Eff You.
Alte Schule
I was in the military when it first came out. Saw it with about fifty other soldiers. Lot's of WTF's being said out loud. We talked about it for weeks afterward. For sure nothing like on the big screen previously. Watched it for the first time in years just a couple of weeks ago. Still holds up fairly well.
If you think Linda Blair's acting was good in The Exorcist you should check out her performance in the B movie sleaze pic Roller Boogie. She really sinks her chops, and a few other things, into that role.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
BostonAg74
I saw it in College Station, too. Just another movie, but the theaters over by Albertson's were a marked improvement over the old Campus Theater, where I took a date (from my high school) to see Love Story my freshman year. The weepy death scene was interrupted by someone yelling "Get her while she's still warm!" and that was my date's introduction to Aggieland. I didn't see her much after that. Not sure how she would have reacted to Linda Blair's head spinning around.
PseudonymK
AG
Nobody went to the drive in at Manor East?
Kitten With A Whip
I think the drive in was near Schulman 6.
PseudonymK
AG
Yep.
ToddyHill
AG
I was in high school, and went with several friends. Because the movie was so popular, the theater jacked the ticket price up to $3.50, which I thought was crazy.

The movie scared the she-ot out of me. I remember when my friends took me home, and dropped me off, I got out of the car and ran as fast as I could as I wanted to get safely in my home.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
"Linda Blair's head spinning around."

Oh thanks for the spoiler.
MGS
I saw it when it was rereleased about 20 years ago. (1999?). I thought it was kinda boring. Maybe you have to be Catholic to appreciate it.
MooreTrucker
AG
bert harbinson said:

Watch it again. It's funny.
I laughed my ass off when that girls head spun around. And that's really the only thing I remember about it, other than I didn't see what was so scary about it.

And the really cool Tubular Bells song.
PseudonymK
AG

I really tried to stay awake to watch it between 1 am through 3 am. *SPOILER* And I just fell asleep again before the first priest died.
Pyewacket
AG
I was named after Linda Blair's character.
aeon-ag
for all you "youngs" I never saw it, had better things to do with my $$$$ than to watch stupity!
ro828
We stood in line for at least three hours to see it at the Village Theater in Houston near Rice University. Back in "olden times" a big movie like that opened at one theater in Houston could play there for months before going into wide release. I think JAWS played at the General Cinema at the Galleria for over a year.
jkag89
MGS said:

I saw it when it was rereleased about 20 years ago. (1999?). I thought it was kinda boring. Maybe you have to be Catholic to appreciate it.
The Exorcist came out in '72 -'73. You might be thinking of Exorcist 3 or The Exorcism of Emily Rose, although neither quite fits your time frame.

In the summer of '75 or '76 they rereleased The Exorcist (done a lot before vcrs were common place) and the radio and TV ads scared the heebee jeebees out of me as a kid. From those ads alone I still get the chills when I hear Tubular Bells.

Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
1973. Broadway Theater. Snuck a bunch of beer up the fire escape into the balcony. Good times.
BassCowboy33
Saw it in 2004 with a group of friends. I knew going in that it wasconsidered the scariest movie ever made, but nothing prepared me for what I saw. Scared me so bad I nearly threw up. Still holds up.
Mr. White
jkag89 said:

MGS said:

The Exorcist came out in '72 -'73. You might be thinking of Exorcist 3 or The Exorcism of Emily Rose, although neither quite fits your time frame.

In the summer of '75 or '76 they rereleased The Exorcist (done a lot before vcrs were common place) and the radio and TV ads scared the heebee jeebees out of me as a kid. From those ads alone I still get the chills when I hear Tubular Bells.

No, it was re-released in 2000. Saw it in The Woodlands.
mhayden
Yeah, they re-released in theaters with the added scenes (spiderwalk) and surround sound for the anniversary.

IMO big action movies and horror movies have to be seen on the big screen for full effect.
Shooter McGavin
AG
Saw it in the theater, had to get someone to buy my ticket as I was under 17 with no accompanying parental unit.

Scary for sure, but didn't scar me for life or anything
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
aeon-ag said:

for all you "youngs" I never saw it, had better things to do with my $$$$ than to watch stupity!

Or learning to spell.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Saw it on VHS in '87 as a 13 year old. Scared the everliving sh_t out of me. I was Catholic and that movie just about nuked me.

Then as an adult, the Alamo Drafthouse had a midnight showing on June 6, 2006. The special that night was pea soup.
Saw it with my wife that night and enjoyed it much more than 20 years earlier. Still scary but not something that stayed with me for hours (or weeks) later.
wbt5845
AG
I saw it in the theater when it came out. I was about 10. Scared the f outta me
PseudonymK
AG
Questioning minds will stay out of pic threads....

But what scenes scared you?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Kee Kee said:

Questioning minds will stay out of pic threads....

But what scenes scared you?

When she rapes herself with the crucifix screaming "Your mother sucks cocks in hell!" pretty much convinced me my house was about to go up in flames.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.