Parking in the Street

2,467 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AGGies0311
AGGies0311
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are there any College Station Ordinances or laws regarding parking in the street in residential areas? I live in the neighborhood around Richard Carter park and the Sorority houses. Cars and trucks line the street for blocks, turning every street into a one lane road.
chipotle
Serious response: No

Non serious response: it's a good thing the students get together once a year and do a half ass job doing landscape work to make up for such inconveniences.
agnerd
AG
You can petition to have a bike lane added since you can't park in a bike lane, but that's pretty much your only option. And they probably won't add it anyway.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Start knocking off side view mirrors. They'll stop parking on the streets if you hit enough.
AGGies0311
I really wish this town was more bike friendly. I love being able to avoid all the traffic heading to campus on busy weekends but the bike lanes are few and far between.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Ask Johnny about that.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Choosing to live in a College town then complaining about college student problems.
AGGies0311
Not just college students do this..... Why have a garage or driveway and not use it?
Human
AG
I'm from the streets

Make you think
lotsofhp
AG
Just hit up that sorority house and bang out your frustrations
Matsui
AG
No laws against parking on a public street UNLESS there are local ordinances passed and then street signs would be placed.
Cowboy1990
2/7Marine0311 said:

Are there any College Station Ordinances or laws regarding parking in the street in residential areas? I live in the neighborhood around Richard Carter park and the Sorority houses. Cars and trucks line the street for blocks, turning every street into a one lane road.

I've never understood why street asking was legal. Why should the city (or whatever local taxing municipality) have to pay to maintain a place for ,it items to park. I loved that when we lived in town the HOA had a rule against it.
AGGies0311
I live over in Eastgate and almost every weekend the streets become one way car mazes
The Collective
AG
The sorority houses have been there for a long time, so it seems reasonable that this problem has persisted for awhile.
Tagguy
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

Not just college students do this..... Why have a garage or driveway and not use it?
You must be new. In Texas garages are used as a storage unit.
Martin Q. Blank
I like when people park in the street. Slows down traffic.
Ragoo
AG
buy a fake fire hydrant like you see at dog parks
Shamwowed
AG
Ragoo said:

buy a fake fire hydrant like you see at dog parks
gigemags-99
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

When you have a two car garage and three luxury vehicles...one's gotta go in the street.
62strat
AG
agnerd said:

You can petition to have a bike lane added since you can't park in a bike lane, but that's pretty much your only option. And they probably won't add it anyway.
Wouldn't they need to widen the road to do this?
MouthBQ98
AG
Heh...suburbia. Move out to the sticks like me, and park where you please, cause you've got room for thousands of cars.
lawless89
I used to live on South Dexter and it was the absolute worst. What made it even better was on game days, that was the street the buses used as their turn around route shuttling people in. It was a total cluster.
The Wonderer
AG
All tires have to be within 6" of the curb and parked going with the flow of traffic (car pointed the direction of the lane), IIRC.
Ragoo
AG
The Wonderer said:

All tires have to be within 6" of the curb and parked going with the flow of traffic (car pointed the direction of the lane), IIRC.
i got a parking ticket in front of my house because i was pointed the wrong way. at something like 4 am. The dog was going nuts in the window.
The Wonderer
AG
Ragoo said:

The Wonderer said:

i got a parking ticket in front of my house because i was pointed the wrong way. at something like 4 am. The dog was going nuts in the window.
agnerd
AG
62strat said:

agnerd said:

Nope. Most streets are designed to accommodate cars parked on both sides while leaving room for a fire truck to squeeze between them. replace the parked cars with bike lanes and now you can pass 2 firetrucks through side by side. Bike lanes are a lot narrower than cars.
62strat
AG
agnerd said:

62strat said:

agnerd said:

Nope. Most streets are designed to accommodate cars parked on both sides while leaving room for a fire truck to squeeze between them. replace the parked cars with bike lanes and now you can pass 2 firetrucks through side by side. Bike lanes are a lot narrower than cars.
I assumed you meant still have parking, with a bike lane, which would result in more space for two way traffic. You'd need 8-10 more feet of ROW to do this.
Eliminatus
AG
OP needs to take this to Aggieland board. Been a good day or so since we had a decent rabble fest. We can all get naked and rub ourselves raw while *****ing about students.
AGGies0311
Your wish has been granted
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.