Paying for college

8,064 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Come Out Roll
ag97tx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I always hear all about student loans and am curious does anybody pay for their kids to go to college anymore or are most parents having their children take out student loans for it?
redd38
AG
I bought my third luxury car instead of paying for my kid's college.
histag10
AG
Well, at 30k a year for cost of attendance (not just tuition) for A&M (roughly), not everyone can afford to pay it, especially if you have more than one kid on school at a time.
permabull
AG
Geralt of Rivia
S
My parents paid for my sister's college because A&M was cheap at that point

They paid for my first two years (minus the scholarships that I had) because private school was not cheap. I took out loans for my last two years.

They paid for my brother's undergrad because A&M was still (fairly) cheap. He got loans for grad school.
Schrute
I saved over a 100 large for my son's college. Then I realized he could use my GI bill, which essentially is a four year scholarship. It's gonna be one hell of a vacation for me and the wife.
GigEmBevo
Schrute said:

I saved over a 100 large for my son's college. Then I realized he could use my GI bill, which essentially is a four year scholarship. It's gonna be one hell of a vacation for me and the wife.

I want to go on that vacation!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
redd38 said:

I bought my third luxury car instead of paying for my kid's college.
this. I got a sweet new quadraphonic sound system, a strobe light, and a water bed installed in my Astro van instead of paying for my kid to go to college.
Unemployed
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

My parents paid for my sister's college because A&M was cheap at that point

They paid for my first two years (minus the scholarships that I had) because private school was not cheap. I took out loans for my last two years.

They paid for my brother's undergrad because A&M was still (fairly) cheap. He got loans for grad school.
Where did you attend university?
chipotle
A&M paid for my undergrad. Folks paid for my grad.
HBCanine08
AG
My dad had a car wash business. He only took cash and my mom helped run it. They were always fighting likes cats and dogs, though
Post removed:
by user
Geralt of Rivia
S
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Both. Saved some money in 529 plans and pay cash for things when possible but still probably looking at about 1/2 their education costs being paid with loans. One in school now and another one in a few years.
JABQ04
AG
Staying in the National Guard long enough to transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill and hopefully (if it's still around) have the Hazlewood Act to use too
Madaman
I started saving 5 years before my first kid and have about a years worth of expenses. I have 12 years to get the last 3 years of college paid for #1 and all 4 years of #2
wangus12
AG
Parents lucked out with Texas Tomorrow Fund which covered my tuition. I got scholarships and worked for TAMU EMS to pay for everything else
Rutedown
I think parents were less prepared 20+ years ago. There are more options for parents to save now. My kid should be able to go to a public school in Texas without needing a loan. Private or out of state then he's probably going to need a loan and work.
GunRangeGal
AG
My parents paid for my college. Best thing they ever did for me was allowing to to graduate debt-free. I'll never be able to properly thank them for that... I guess I'll put them in a nice home when they get old.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I was an only child, plus I went to a relatively inexpensive college so yes my parents paid for my school and grad school. I paid my living expenses during grad school with my stipend.

I plan to pay all or close to all of my childrens' as well, assuming they earn the privilege of having their school paid for by being decent humans and choose a decent major or a marketable trade. No lesbian dance theory art majors at Dartmouth, for example.

I get not being *able* to pay for your kids' education if you have several kids or you just don't make enough--but if you can, you should. There is a balance of course, but I don't think that stressing about money and having huge loans helps students focus on their education. Finally, this new generation of people getting their loans forgiven really pisses me off.

Trident 88
AG
My dad paid for my degree, and I have paid for my 1st son's degree. I only have $30-40k left over for the 2nd son, but I will make sure the only debt he has when he graduates from college is a car loan, assuming he'll want to buy a new car as soon as he has a job.
superunknown
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Both. Saved some money in 529 plans and pay cash for things when possible but still probably looking at about 1/2 their education costs being paid with loans. One in school now and another one in a few years.
Vanguard has some great 529/529-like funds.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Had no idea you were stuck in Seguin. You were there about the same time a few of my friends were I think.
Unemployed
AG

Why did you not attend A&M?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Pretty sure he has said in the past that he played football at TLU I believe.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Played football freshman year, plus after growing up in B/CS I wanted to get out of town for a few years
Unemployed
AG
Cool...were you trying to follow the same path as the Rock?
histag10
AG

Played football freshman year, plus after growing up in B/CS I wanted to get out of town for a few years

Kinda sad you still don't have a spirit tag....
Unemployed
AG
I'd vote for WWW to get an S tag if that's something he wants.
Chazz03
AG
histag10 said:

Geralt of Rivia
S
RealTalk said:

Cool...were you trying to follow the same path as the Rock?

I did think about going to wrestling school, but at the time I didn't have an extra $1,500-$2,000 to spare.
Geralt of Rivia
S
histag10 said:

I'd imagine I'll be hearing back about that any day now
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I paid for about 80% of mine through scholarships, and my parents were gracious enough to cover the rest.
TyHolden
AG
Paid for mine. My kids will be paid.
nickstro66
AG
Paid for mine by working, loans, and the saving grace Pell Grant
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.