Paying for college

ag97tx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
AG
I always hear all about student loans and am curious does anybody pay for their kids to go to college anymore or are most parents having their children take out student loans for it?
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
I bought my third luxury car instead of paying for my kid's college.
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Well, at 30k a year for cost of attendance (not just tuition) for A&M (roughly), not everyone can afford to pay it, especially if you have more than one kid on school at a time.
hypeiv
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
I think a lot of parents tell their kids to take out loans then the parents make payments on them
Wade Winston Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
My parents paid for my sister's college because A&M was cheap at that point

They paid for my first two years (minus the scholarships that I had) because private school was not cheap. I took out loans for my last two years.

They paid for my brother's undergrad because A&M was still (fairly) cheap. He got loans for grad school.
Schrute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
I saved over a 100 large for my son's college. Then I realized he could use my GI bill, which essentially is a four year scholarship. It's gonna be one hell of a vacation for me and the wife.
GigEmBevo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Schrute said:

I saved over a 100 large for my son's college. Then I realized he could use my GI bill, which essentially is a four year scholarship. It's gonna be one hell of a vacation for me and the wife.


I want to go on that vacation!
blindey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
redd38 said:

I bought my third luxury car instead of paying for my kid's college.
this. I got a sweet new quadraphonic sound system, a strobe light, and a water bed installed in my Astro van instead of paying for my kid to go to college.
RealTalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

My parents paid for my sister's college because A&M was cheap at that point

They paid for my first two years (minus the scholarships that I had) because private school was not cheap. I took out loans for my last two years.

They paid for my brother's undergrad because A&M was still (fairly) cheap. He got loans for grad school.
Where did you attend university?
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
A&M paid for my undergrad. Folks paid for my grad.
HBCanine08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
My dad had a car wash business. He only took cash and my mom helped run it. They were always fighting likes cats and dogs, though
SheriffBarclay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
HBCanine08 said:

My dad had a car wash business. He only took cash and my mom helped run it. They were always fighting likes cats and dogs, though


You're better than this.
Wade Winston Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AgOutsideAustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Both. Saved some money in 529 plans and pay cash for things when possible but still probably looking at about 1/2 their education costs being paid with loans. One in school now and another one in a few years.
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
Staying in the National Guard long enough to transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill and hopefully (if it's still around) have the Hazlewood Act to use too
Madaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
I started saving 5 years before my first kid and have about a years worth of expenses. I have 12 years to get the last 3 years of college paid for #1 and all 4 years of #2
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Parents lucked out with Texas Tomorrow Fund which covered my tuition. I got scholarships and worked for TAMU EMS to pay for everything else
Rutedown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
I think parents were less prepared 20+ years ago. There are more options for parents to save now. My kid should be able to go to a public school in Texas without needing a loan. Private or out of state then he's probably going to need a loan and work.
GunRangeGal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
My parents paid for my college. Best thing they ever did for me was allowing to to graduate debt-free. I'll never be able to properly thank them for that... I guess I'll put them in a nice home when they get old.
Jersey Girl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
I was an only child, plus I went to a relatively inexpensive college so yes my parents paid for my school and grad school. I paid my living expenses during grad school with my stipend.

I plan to pay all or close to all of my childrens' as well, assuming they earn the privilege of having their school paid for by being decent humans and choose a decent major or a marketable trade. No lesbian dance theory art majors at Dartmouth, for example.

I get not being *able* to pay for your kids' education if you have several kids or you just don't make enough--but if you can, you should. There is a balance of course, but I don't think that stressing about money and having huge loans helps students focus on their education. Finally, this new generation of people getting their loans forgiven really pisses me off.



Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
My dad paid for my degree, and I have paid for my 1st son's degree. I only have $30-40k left over for the 2nd son, but I will make sure the only debt he has when he graduates from college is a car loan, assuming he'll want to buy a new car as soon as he has a job.
superunknown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Both. Saved some money in 529 plans and pay cash for things when possible but still probably looking at about 1/2 their education costs being paid with loans. One in school now and another one in a few years.
Vanguard has some great 529/529-like funds.
ColinAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Had no idea you were stuck in Seguin. You were there about the same time a few of my friends were I think.
RealTalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:


Why did you not attend A&M?
ColinAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Pretty sure he has said in the past that he played football at TLU I believe.
Wade Winston Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Played football freshman year, plus after growing up in B/CS I wanted to get out of town for a few years
RealTalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Cool...were you trying to follow the same path as the Rock?
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

Played football freshman year, plus after growing up in B/CS I wanted to get out of town for a few years


Kinda sad you still don't have a spirit tag....
RealTalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
I'd vote for WWW to get an S tag if that's something he wants.
Chazz03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
histag10 said:

Wade Winston Wilson said:

Played football freshman year, plus after growing up in B/CS I wanted to get out of town for a few years


Kinda sad you still don't have a spirit tag....

Wade Winston Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
RealTalk said:

Cool...were you trying to follow the same path as the Rock?


I did think about going to wrestling school, but at the time I didn't have an extra $1,500-$2,000 to spare.
Wade Winston Wilson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
histag10 said:

Wade Winston Wilson said:

Played football freshman year, plus after growing up in B/CS I wanted to get out of town for a few years


Kinda sad you still don't have a spirit tag....


I'd imagine I'll be hearing back about that any day now
Champ Bailey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
I paid for about 80% of mine through scholarships, and my parents were gracious enough to cover the rest.
DSAg44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Paid for mine. My kids will be paid.
nickstro66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
Paid for mine by working, loans, and the saving grace Pell Grant
Page 1 of 3
 
×
Verify your student status
See Membership Benefits >