What percentage of your friend group is divorced?

7,455 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Alte Schule
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
t - cam said:

champagnepapi said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

Only one divorced friend. Age range mid-30s. He's also the only one that got married in his early 20's. The rest waited until they finished grad/professional school, had careers, and were comfortable with themselves as adults to get married. Seems to working out ok for all of them.

I married in my early 20s before my spouse's grad school. We are happily married with a 15 month old.
I'm sure you guys are fine but I am pretty confident that the most changing a person does is during their 20's.
It's during this 10 year window where people really understand who they are as an individual. I feel like at age 35 i'm nothing like the man I was at age 25.
Same here. We got married soon after we finished undergrad. My wife then went to law school after we were married.

And at age 58 (almost) I am not the same guy I was at 45, or 35, or 25. Not even close.
NoahAg
CJS4715 said:

I think wedding party is an interesting way to look at this... Our wedding party had 8 people who were alreadyor went on to get married. 2 are divorced, so not a terrible rate from that perspective.
All my wife's bridesmaids have been married-divorced-remaried since our wedding (14 years).

None of my groomsmen have been divorced.

histag10
AG
only like 2 or 3 divorced. a few separated. a few crazies who need to get their poop in a scoop.

The normal range of friends with issues I suppose
histag10
AG
NoahAg said:

CJS4715 said:

I think wedding party is an interesting way to look at this... Our wedding party had 8 people who were alreadyor went on to get married. 2 are divorced, so not a terrible rate from that perspective.
All my wife's bridesmaids have been married-divorced-remaried since our wedding (14 years).

was your wife in a sorority?
Max06
AG
Of my friend circle of ~20 or so, 4 have been divorced.

I can say that as a single chick trying to date men in the 30-40 age range, 95% are divorced.
histag10
AG
Max06 said:

I can say that as a single chick trying to date men in the 30-40 age range, 95% are divorced.

So at that point, do you look for battle tested? If you meet a guy who is not divorced, is it call for concern?
gigemags-99
AG
histag10 said:

Max06 said:

So at that point, do you look for battle tested? If you meet a guy who is not divorced, is it call for concern?

I'd say it is since he would still have a wife.
Max06
AG
histag10 said:

Max06 said:

I wouldn't say that I look for it, and for a long time I wouldn't consider dating someone that was divorced. Now, I'm more interested in what the story is, how long he's been divorced, etc.

Two of my friends that have been divorced are great guys that ended up marrying BSC hoors who left them. So, being divorced isn't any reason to automatically exclude someone from the dating pool.
histag10
AG
gigemags-99 said:

histag10 said:

Max06 said:

Or he has never been married....
NoahAg
histag10 said:

NoahAg said:

CJS4715 said:

Haha, no. They all just had bad discernment.
histag10
AG
NoahAg said:

histag10 said:

NoahAg said:

CJS4715 said:

Haha, no. They all just had bad discernment.

I was wondering if they married for money, and now are marrying for love
gigemags-99
AG
histag10 said:

gigemags-99 said:

histag10 said:

Max06 said:

Or he has never been married....

Gotcha. When you say "meet a guy who is not divorced" I'm assuming they are married and therefore "not divorced". I guess it would have been more clear if you said "meet a guy who has never been married".
PeekingDuck
AG
Mid-Late 30s and surprisingly, I don't have any divorced friends. A couple, including myself, have gone through some rough times (as I'm sure most have), but stuck it out. Also have a few that are still unmarried, but they aren't exactly the cream of the crop.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Of my dads groomsmen 4/5 are divorced.
DadAG10
histag10 said:

I was wondering if they married for money, and now are marrying for love
Maybe they married for love and are now married to money, or married for more money the second time.

And none of these traits are limited to sororities.
bagger05
AG
MooreTrucker said:

And at age 58 (almost) I am not the same guy I was at 45, or 35, or 25. Not even close.
Kinda the point of life, right? If you look back ten years ago and think that you haven't changed much in the last ten years, I think you're doing it wrong. Getting older should mean getting wiser.
The Wonderer
AG
One that I hang out with regularly. The rest of us have avoided screwing up our lives with the wrong people and ended things before marriage.
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

Sometimes i feel like divorcing my wife as she does not appreciate me and what i do for her.
What?! Doesn't she know how lucky she is to be married to you?!
c-jags
in my mid 30's working on 14 years of marriage. my sampling is probably about 30 or so couples and most pretty Jesusy

only 2 divorces amongst people i would consider friends. a smattering with acquaintances.

one of my (former) best friends is going through it right now. he's gonna get raped.
chipotle
What percentage is divorced? It's complicated. LMAO
West Point Aggie
AG
>50 %

But I'm gay and Hispanic! Trust me it adds up!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Of family members from my generation I would consider close, 1 of 6 are divorced--and that guy is a drunken idiot, I would have divorced him too. SIL is married to a divorced man, her first marriage. The other four are still on spouse #1.

Of my 7 closest friends, all are on original spouse except for one half of a gay couple (I guess he's not formally "divorced" since he wasn't legally married to previous partner, but same idea.)

In my broader social circle, it's pretty unusual--I can count couples we socialize with that are divorced on one hand. Lots of upwardly mobile Jews, Indians/Pakistanis, and secular humanists. I do agree that there seem to be at least as many, if not more, divorces in churchgoers.

Of 14 people in wedding party, 2 are divorced (including aforementioned drunken idiot).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MooreTrucker
AG
bagger05 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Kinda the point of life, right? If you look back ten years ago and think that you haven't changed much in the last ten years, I think you're doing it wrong. Getting older should mean getting wiser.
Indeed, my friend, indeed. My point to go with t-cam's post is that in the 20s and 30s, I still hadn't figured out exactly who I am. Getting closer now, though.
marble rye
AG
It can be a good thing. Think of all those friends you wanted to bang and thought it could never happen.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Two of my friends have been divorced.

One was after a miscarriage and the wife totally broke down.

The other was a best friend in high school that I haven't talked to in almost a decade, so not much of a friend anymore. He's been divorced a half dozen times. Just can't keep his wiener in his pants.
SwigAg11
AG
wbt5845 said:

But I'm Catholic

Same as this one.
Street_Cred_Norm
c-jags said:

in my mid 30's working on 14 years of marriage. my sampling is probably about 30 or so couples and most pretty Jesusy

only 2 divorces amongst people i would consider friends. a smattering with acquaintances.

one of my (former) best friends is going through it right now. he's gonna get raped.

Yours is quite impressive since your wife cheated on you.. That's automatic divorce for most people imo
HBCanine08
AG
Fiddy
GigEmBevo
The real question is what's the TexAgs marriage/divorce rate.
bagger05
AG
GigEmBevo said:

What if TexAgs is the closest thing you have to a friend group?
GigEmBevo
bagger05 said:

GigEmBevo said:

What if TexAgs is the closest thing you have to a friend group?

Touche
ViralAg
Holly Golightly said:

Divorced after 28 years

More common than you think

You should get stars again.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Fairly small percentage of my peers but everyone older than me in my family has been divorced at least once...both my parents, all aunts and uncles, some cousins...
Alte Schule
On my side of the family. Two brothers and one sister. All divorced after being married 15 - 20+ years.
On my wife's side. One brother and one sister. Both divorced after being married 20+ years.
Friends over the years. At least three but one couple remarried after being apart five years.
My Wife and I. The ones who's marriage would never last. We've been rocking along for 44 years.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.