What percentage of your friend group is divorced?

7,453 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Alte Schule
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Age range of friend group and how many people/couples are/have been divorced?
Madaman
but i have no friends
wbt5845
AG

But I'm Catholic
Holly Golightly
AG
Divorced after 28 years

More common than you think
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
My friend group ranges from 28-42 most of us married 9-20 years. Have one going through divorce right now and I think a second about to come on any day now. Of the total group most have been divorced and remarried. Us and one other are the only ones left. Puts us at 75% divorced. And we are "good church folk"
champagnepapi
50%

Militaryyyyy
Liquid Wrench
In 30's and early 40's, 2 have been divorced. One guy converted to Catholicism and got his first 2 annulled before finding true love with wife #3.

I'm not doing the math to figure out percentages. Let's say I have four or five friends.
Joe Exotic
AG
champagnepapi said:

50%

Militaryyyyy

And the other 50 percent are just good at not getting caught
Drawkcab
People who I regularly do things with: 0

People who I don't regularly do things with for various reasons but would still introduce to a third party as "my friend so and so": well over 50%

Divorce is a cancer to our society.
Human
AG
About 10%
John Francis Donaghy
Only one divorced friend. Age range mid-30s. He's also the only one that got married in his early 20's. The rest waited until they finished grad/professional school, had careers, and were comfortable with themselves as adults to get married. Seems to working out ok for all of them.
champagnepapi
John Francis Donaghy said:

Only one divorced friend. Age range mid-30s. He's also the only one that got married in his early 20's. The rest waited until they finished grad/professional school, had careers, and were comfortable with themselves as adults to get married. Seems to working out ok for all of them.

I married in my early 20s before my spouse's grad school. We are happily married with a 15 month old.
marble rye
AG
This is why marriage licenses need a renewal option every 5 years.
The Fife
Seven said:

Age range of friend group and how many people/couples are/have been divorced?
23 to 47
It's about a 50/50 split with divorced vs. not divorced.

With coworkers it's a much higher percentage but they're another 15 years older on average. I used to be on domestic travel for a good 8 months out of the year and am the only one out of the group to remain married.

2/3 of my family are divorced.
GCRanger
AG
35 to 45, 2 divorced a 3rd highly likely, about 20%
Robert C. Christian
AG
champagnepapi said:

I married in my early 20s before my spouse's grad school. We are happily married with a 15 month old.

They let you marry a 15 month old?
riverrataggie
AG
champagnepapi said:

For now. Also misery loves company.
TexasAggie_97
AG
Leaving today on a cruise to celebrate my 18th anniversary. We have 3 kids and I cannot imagine living without her. With any luck we will be married another 50 years.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
wbt5845 said:

But I'm Catholic

Probably cause your crowd is too young to legally participate in contracts.
GarlandAg2012
AG
This thread is kinda depressing.
Schrute
I would say about 40-50% of my friends have been through a divorce, some more than once.
EFE
AG
What if you know lots of people with baby Momma's because Mexico?
WES2006AG
AG
Pam Poovey said:

This is why marriage licenses need a renewal option every 5 years.
This would be awesome. So many stressed out couples wondering what their spouse is going to do now that their 5 years is coming up.
permabull
AG
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Only one divorced friend. Age range mid-30s. He's also the only one that got married in his early 20's.
Yeah, my friend with the 2 ex-wives was also the first in our group to get married. No question he tried to get her preggers on purpose so she'd marry him and she was never ready for it. He's the guy who's always on his high horse when married, giving out advice and criticism and asking when you're gonna get married or have kids. Then he's rock bottom depressed when she leaves him. Then he's right back on the high horse when talks another girl into marrying him. I'm wondering how long until wife #3 repeats the cycle.
Beer Baron
AG
Only one. He then immediately knocked up the maid of honor from the first wedding and then married a third chick a couple months after that baby was born.
The Collective
AG
I think wedding party is an interesting way to look at this... Our wedding party had 8 people who were alreadyor went on to get married. 2 are divorced, so not a terrible rate from that perspective.
Duncan Idaho
Excluding the "married less than a year out of college" types? Almost none

Including the married less than a year out of school? Close to 70%

Ragoo
AG
found out a few weeks ago a HS friend of mine split from her husband. none of my immediate college friends are divorced of which there are like 11 couples.
AgShaun00
AG
i am thinking of about 15 couples that are friends from different areas of our lives and only one are divorced. 30s-low 40s
MooreTrucker
AG
Our friend group consists of 8 other couples that we hang out with regularly (age range 50-60), plus their kids and some others semi-regularly. Percentage that are or have been divorced- 0.0

One couple may be on the verge of divorce but haven't done anything yet.
Carlo4
AG
40%

2 close friends had their divorces. Waited until late 20s but didn't last 2 years.

GF parents had a divorce

GF divorced her husband 3 years ago.
BombayAg

But I am Hindu.

Sometimes i feel like divorcing my wife as she does not appreciate me and what i do for her.
t - cam
AG
champagnepapi said:

I'm sure you guys are fine but I am pretty confident that the most changing a person does is during their 20's.
It's during this 10 year window where people really understand who they are as an individual. I feel like at age 35 i'm nothing like the man I was at age 25.
wangus12
AG
Only 1 so far. His wife cheated on him after he paid of her school loans/car/etc. About a year into the marriage
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.