Anyone ever been written up at work?

6,529 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Oruc Reis
Scotty Flamingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What did you do if so?
CDUB98
AG
chiken
AG
Yes. I used the anotomically correct word for a pecker in a work email and it was flagged as inappropriate. I had to be written up for it.
JABQ04
AG
I sure as hell didn't do what I was written up for again.

If you were in the wrong own it and don't make the same mistake again. If you think you're being wronged go through the appropriate channels with in your company.
SeattleAgJr
1. Accidentally uploaded work inappropriate (but not nudes) to a department share drive.

2. Provided some "direct and concise upwards feedback" to a senior manager.
Unemployed
AG
Had two IM windows - sent out "Muthu is a mother******* idiot" to Muthu instead of my other co-worker. Indian mother******* snitched on me to the boss.
SeattleAgJr
RealTalk said:

Had two IM windows - sent out "Muthu is a mother******* idiot" to Muthu instead of my other co-worker. Indian mother******* snitched on me to the boss.
Oh, that one too!
ToddyHill
AG
Got turned into HR by a woman who worked for me. She was a huge Lady Vols fan, especially their basketball program (this was the last year or two of Pat Summit's time as head coach).

We got talking about the Baylor program, and I repeatedly referred to their top player as 'Bart' Griner. She was offended by that, and turned me in.

Sr. V.P. of HR calls me up to his office. I tell him what I said and he's about to bust a gut. Tells me to cool it and take it easy on using that name, especially around that woman, who I later found out was gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).
MaterialAg
AG
no, but I've had plenty of awful bosses.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Was a couple of dollars off on the register once or twice when working concessions at the movies.

Used my free daily movie tickets to see a movie that ended up being a sell out. Me and the person that allowed me to get the tickets both got written up for that.
george92
No but I got a good talking to a few times.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
MaterialAg said:

no, but I've had plenty of awful bosses.
Had an awful boss write me up for "performance issues." Even got put on a "Performance Improvement Plan." One week into the plan, it was apparent to my department and pretty much everyone at the company that the awful boss was using me as a scapegoat for her own incompetence. One month later, she got terminated and the improvement plan was cancelled as unnecessary. I still remember how gratifying it felt watching her cry while clutching to her little box as she was being walked out.
Lonestar06
I've done four years of probation on the job for umm... various things.
chipotle
I didn't put the ice scoop back in the correct location.
Serious Lee
several times when i was in HS. once for messing around with a coworker in the pump room, another for throwing a snickers bar in the pool to try and pass along as a turd so we could shut it down. funny cause those were some of the most innocuous things I did while on the job.
Micah97
AG
Is this muthu in Dallas?
Unemployed
AG
Micah97 said:

Is this muthu in Dallas?
No..this Muthu was in Chennai.
Buck Compton
AG
Once right out of college for starting a for-money fantasy football league for work people. But not until the second year.

Apparently, rumor was I was turned in by the husband of one of the VPs (they both worked there). He got last in the league the year before after only winning one game and was angry with me when I vetoed a ridiculous trade he proposed.

It got brought up in my performance review, my bonus was affected, and I left the following month.
MouthBQ98
AG
I had a bipolar boss that was sometimes cool and sometimes borderline psychopathic when he was stressed out and he tore my me up good a couple times and threatened it, but never had to follow through. Almost got it too once in college when I accidentally scheduled myself to work on my 21st birthday, then decided screw it and just didn't show up.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

I still remember how gratifying it felt watching her cry while clutching to her little box
So she got fired and then you kicked her in the crotch? Real classy.
Beer Baron
AG
Micah97 said:

Is this muthu in Dallas?
No, my son's name is also Muthu.
LawHall88
AG
My first job after graduation, 25 or so years ago. It was the birthday of one member of our work group; someone bought a card that basically was a drawing of a bunch of cartoon cats with the caption "Hope you have a purr-fect birthday" or something close to that. The card was passed around, and everyone before me signed as one of the cartoon cats. Card gets to me, all the cats are taken, so I write "Happy Birthday from a bunch of real *******." You would have thought I'd shot somebody in the break room.
Tanya 93
Yes.

Apparently it was against store policy to play produce baseball at 4 am with produce being thrown away.
AgEng06
AggiePetro07
AG
I got written up and fired by my boss at a Chinese food restaurant in HS. I was giving people refunds/rain checks on food that they considered unsatisfactory. People would get a meal to replace the one that was bad and would come back about 90% of the time. Most of these clients were regulars and I saved their business for my boss.

The two that got me fired were both brought back to the restaurant after being picked up for take-out. One had a giant patch of jet black and obviously Chinese hair in it (from the scalp region, thank God) and the other had two or three shards of metal from the pot and/or cooking spoons. One of the customers told my boss that they appreciated how I handled everything and after they left he fired me.

He also wasn't paying me fairly, and would come in after I worked and write my "real" hours on my time card. I went in every day asking him for my money ($450 as a 16 year old was a lot of money) and he wouldn't pay me for almost two months. Eventually my dad went up there and got it from him somehow.

Boiling Denim
When I moved companies the office they put me in was a former HR persons. While organizing I found an old folder with documented write ups.

Mostly normal stuff people cussing others out, liquor flasks in desks, the usual stuff but the memorable one happened on a company fishing trip. An employee made a comment about a female worker's booty and how much he would like to "tap it". It was about as cringe inducing as you would imagine an HR person would write it to be both PC and make it sound repulsive.
GinaLinetti
AG
RealTalk said:

I did this via text this year. I wasn't written up since I was right though
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Told this one guy he was cool. Oh, also told some other guys what I thought of them.....
HollywoodBQ
AG
I worked for a company that was doing about $300 Million/year in sales. 2/3 of the sales were through two companies who were re-labeling our gear and selling it under their own nameplates.

I had to meet with one of the two vendors (our customer) and the discussion about quality came up. Our initial shipping quality was terrible. The expectation for my role was to lie to the customer about how our quality was improving, etc.

The customer relationship manager was an Aggie so, I felt comfortable opening up to him in private about our crappy quality and the apparent lack of concern by everybody at our company.

So... Aggie dude goes back to my management and tells them I said that to the customer and that he wants me off the account because I have a bad attitude, etc.

When I return to the office, I have a sit down with my manager, my director and HR. They all beat me down and made me sign a letter of reprimand. It was one of those - "this will go down on your permanent record" moments. Note - they didn't fire me because - I wasn't wrong. And, it was completely his word versus mine - i.e. I didn't do what they claimed I did. But, they carefully crafted the letter to not actually accuse me of anything that was provable - or dis-provable.

Also learned my lesson about trusting Aggies in real life.
BostonAg74
I was threatened with it but he didn't follow through: Years ago, my boss was in New York with other company big shots and he had to FAX (as I said, years ago) a letter to a V.P. at the Japanese company that owned our company. He had forgotten about it, so he asked me to compose the letter, fake his signature and send it because I was the only one who knew enough about the project to do so. (Cheap company did not have desktop computers (this is in 1988), but I had brought my own to work so I could get stuff done, another reason why he asked me to do it.) I wrote the letter, faked his signature and faxed it to the Japanese company and to my boss in New York. Now, the Japanese often open business correspondence with a a personal note, like "How is the weather there?" or "How 'bout them Cowboys?" (not really on the second one, but you get the point). So, I opened the letter with something about the weather and then got to the real point of the letter. However, on the copy I sent to my boss, since the date was Dec 7, I opened with "Happy Pearl Harbor Day!" .....on the letter with his signature on it. As soon as the FAX came through, he called me, SCREAMING, "Why did you mention Pearl Harbor?!!!" I said, "I thought it was okay because it was a good day for them!". Then I told him it was a joke and I had not sent the same copy to the Japanese V.P. He calmed down and told be he would see me when he got back. So when he was in the office, he called me in and said I had embarrassed him in front of his bosses and they were very upset, and he was going to write me up. Short conversation, and then I left. As I was walking down the hall, the president of the company saw me and flagged me down. I thought I was about to get chewed out again. Then he smiled and slapped me on the back and told me it was one of the best pranks he had ever seen. He described my boss's reaction (apparently he made quite a scene) and then his reaction when he found out it was a joke. Then he said, "He's never going to live that down!". I never got written up, but I learned that even if my boss had no sense of humor, the company president did.
TPS_Report
AG
BostonAg74 said:

I was threatened with it but he didn't follow through: Years ago, my boss was in New York with other company big shots and he had to FAX (as I said, years ago) a letter to a V.P. at the Japanese company that owned our company. He had forgotten about it, so he asked me to compose the letter, fake his signature and send it because I was the only one who knew enough about the project to do so. (Cheap company did not have desktop computers (this is in 1988), but I had brought my own to work so I could get stuff done, another reason why he asked me to do it.) I wrote the letter, faked his signature and faxed it to the Japanese company and to my boss in New York. Now, the Japanese often open business correspondence with a a personal note, like "How is the weather there?" or "How 'bout them Cowboys?" (not really on the second one, but you get the point). So, I opened the letter with something about the weather and then got to the real point of the letter. However, on the copy I sent to my boss, since the date was Dec 7, I opened with "Happy Pearl Harbor Day!" .....on the letter with his signature on it. As soon as the FAX came through, he called me, SCREAMING, "Why did you mention Pearl Harbor?!!!" I said, "I thought it was okay because it was a good day for them!". Then I told him it was a joke and I had not sent the same copy to the Japanese V.P. He calmed down and told be he would see me when he got back. So when he was in the office, he called me in and said I had embarrassed him in front of his bosses and they were very upset, and he was going to write me up. Short conversation, and then I left. As I was walking down the hall, the president of the company saw me and flagged me down. I thought I was about to get chewed out again. Then he smiled and slapped me on the back and told me it was one of the best pranks he had ever seen. He described my boss's reaction (apparently he made quite a scene) and then his reaction when he found out it was a joke. Then he said, "He's never going to live that down!". I never got written up, but I learned that even if my boss had no sense of humor, the company president did.
Ha! Sweet!
AgsMyDude
AG
BostonAg74 said:

That's amazing
handle234
When I was 16, I was a little league umpire. I did a lot of games. In the fall, they had a less competitive league for skills development. One of the older umpires ended up ending a fall game mid inning (like after 2 outs in the bottom of the inning) when I was working the bases because the next game had to get started.

The next Saturday, I was working a game behind the plate and had a date that night, so I was really off my game. Maybe the third date of my life. I messed up a few calls and even applied a couple rules liberally. When the game hit the two hour mark, I ended the game mid inning even though there wasn't a game afterward. I had also mentioned to some parent or coach earlier how pumped I was about the date (I was an idiot).

Later that week the umpire chief called me to his house and gave me a long letter and read the whole thing to me. It was pretty weird, not that I was perfect but I think he wrote the letter just to satisfy some angry parents about a meaningless game.

He told me it would go in my permanent record, so I guess I can't umpire in Dallas little league ever again.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I thought you couldn't get written up after high school...

If anyone is ever offended by anything I say they can fill out this form and submit it to hr...

Furlock Bones
AG
what kind of mediocre ****ty ass jobs do you people work
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.