Things to do in Chennai, India

2,721 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by kc kid
Leeman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Taking a side trip their next week while I'm in India. Suggestions ?
histag10
AG
Leeman said:

Suggestions ?

Try asking the travel board!
CDUB98
AG
Leeman said:

Taking a side trip their next week while I'm in India. Suggestions ?
Take an English class.
CowtownAg06
AG
Go find my accounting department and ask them why they suck so much!
Ragoo
AG
Count the number of unique faces.
Leeman
histag10 said:

Leeman said:

Suggestions ?

Try asking the travel board!
Obviously I'm trolling. There has been a plethora of "what to eat or do in _someplace_".
TecRecAg
AG
Take a left on Bakalakadaka street and visit these guys
Geralt of Rivia
S
Take a dump on the side of the road
Leeman
Wade Winston Wilson said:

Take a dump on the side of the road
How would that be out of the norm for there ?
Geralt of Rivia
S
I'm just trying to help you fit in
Leeman
To tell you the truth, I haven't seen that in India yet. I've been there twice before and I've seen men urinate on the side of the road plenty of times, but nobody take a dump. Perhaps this trip will be different !
Tatem
people watch
Change Detection
AG
visit the IT call center, visit the CC call center, visit my doctor's office call center, visit the cable company call center, visit the call girl call center, visit the cell phone company help desk, visit my eye doctor's parents...so on and so forth.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Contract cholera
BQ_00
AG
Several really nice resorts bolstered by it being a coastal area. Several temples to explore. Fort St George is there, which I believe was one of the original British forts in India, though I believe it's now mainly used as offices with a museum inside. In my experience, food is a bit spicier than in central India cities like Bangalore.

Pondicherry is 3 hours south and has a nicely preserved French Colony area called the Promenade along the coastline. It was a city largely built up by the French East India company.
Leeman
BQ_00 said:

Several really nice resorts bolstered by it being a coastal area. Several temples to explore. Fort St George is there, which I believe was one of the original British forts in India, though I believe it's now mainly used as offices with a museum inside. In my experience, food is a bit spicier than in central India cities like Bangalore.

Pondicherry is 3 hours south and has a nicely preserved French Colony area called the Promenade along the coastline. It was a city largely built up by the French East India company.
How safe is the food there ?

In Bangalore, we have to be very careful of anything that has touched water (veggies, no-peel fruit, etc).
BQ_00
AG
Leeman said:

BQ_00 said:

How safe is the food there ?

In Bangalore, we have to be very careful of anything that has touched water (veggies, no-peel fruit, etc).

Same practices apply here. Only drink sealed drinks. Food is more trustworthy in the nicer establishments. The resorts and nicer hotels cater to westerners so I usually consider them safe, and didn't have any issues. Outside of the resorts, I avoided any raw fruits and vegetables but the cooked food was pretty darn good at the restaurants.
62strat
AG
Leeman said:

To tell you the truth, I haven't seen that in India yet. I've been there twice before and I've seen men urinate on the side of the road plenty of times, but nobody take a dump. Perhaps this trip will be different !
You don't gotta travel 8000 miles for that. I've seen that while riding a metro bus in Houston.
Spore Ag
Quite often dumps are taken on the train tracks because Cobras are more rare there. We would also place our fruits and veggies in a pale ov water and pour Dettol over them. Seemed to help.
Leeman
It will be interesting to see how the beaches are there. We are staying at a resort on the beach.
Squirrel Master
AG
Chennai is the most boring of the major Indian cities to visit. Some nice hotels, but nothing really to do outside of them.
Talon2DSO
AG
How long will you be there? I'll be in Delhi on April 9
Leeman
Talon2DSO said:

How long will you be there? I'll be in Delhi on April 9
I'll be in India only for the week. I (hopefully) will be home Friday the 31st.
awinlonghorn
Temples on the ocean and sculptures in mahabalipuram. 45 mins outside of the city
Marina beach
Temples in mylapore
St Thomas church
Crocodile park
Fisherman's cove resort
AggieBand2004
AG
My mom
AggieBand2004
AG
That's how the typical GB joke goes, right? I am still new here.
birddog7000
AG
You could go find Muthu and tell him he's a mother******* idiot to his face.
Roger That
AG
awinlonghorn said:

Temples on the ocean and sculptures in mahabalipuram. 45 mins outside of the city
Marina beach
Temples in mylapore
St Thomas church
Crocodile park
Fisherman's cove resort

This is the right answer.

Also, for the most part the beaches in the city are pretty ****ty because of the trash and population. The beach at Fisherman's cove is south of town and really nice.
NoahAg
Diarrhea. Lots of diarrhea.
Leeman
NoahAg said:

Diarrhea. Lots of diarrhea.
I hope to avoid that.
BQ78
AG
Half way to Pondicherry is Mahabalipuram with many ancient Hindu shrines. Chennai is like the Vatican of Hinduism with all the various temples all around.

Within the town itself as someone already said you may see the grave of the Apostle Thomas in the Catholic cathedral. There is an old Portugese chapel on the traditional site of Thomas' martrydom up on a hill. Great view of the city from there and interesting relics in the chapel. I ate at a barbecue place there that was really good, not Texas barbecue but still good. I have no idea the name and location now could find out if you are really interested. The National beer of India, Kingfisher, beats the hell outta Bud or Miller.

And of course if you go to Mahabalipuram you will want to take some sort of wacky photo with the Krishna Butter Ball:

Leeman
Looks like we will hang out on the beach and tour Mahabalipuram.

Thanks !
txagdan
AG
Chilled Monkey Brain for desert.
3AgDad81
AG
Need to go on a train ride

Unemployed
AG
birddog7000 said:

You could go find Muthu and tell him he's a mother******* idiot to his face.
I see what you did there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.