Hand Foot and Mouth Disease

4,881 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KidDoc
Sweet Clementine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My kid caught this (for the second time) and got sent home from daycare yesterday due to a blister on her hand. This time she shared it with me and I've got a few tiny blisters on my hands and several bigger ones on my tongue, which is swollen. Anyone had this?
Madaman
I quarantined my kids to their room when they have it
Never personally caught it
Fonzie Scheme
AG
You caught the herp from your child?
Ol Jock 99
AG
It happens. No big deal.
Leeman
Stop touching yourself.
CDUB98
AG
See a doctor.
Get a prescription.
Satellite of Love
SC, why were you sucking on your hands?
Ol Jock 99
AG
CDUB98 said:

See a doctor.
Get a prescription.

For a virus?
CDUB98
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

CDUB98 said:

See a doctor.
Get a prescription.

For a virus?
joke
Ol Jock 99
chipotle
My kid got diagnosed with this when they looked in her mouth...after the hospital did an unnecessary spinal tap, lab work and chest xray. We're still dealing with incorrect billing and over charging. I'm not bitter.
Beer Baron
AG
CDUB98
AG
chipotle said:

My kid got diagnosed with this when they looked in her mouth...after the hospital did an unnecessary spinal tap, lab work and chest xray. We're still dealing with incorrect billing and over charging. I'm not bitter.
george92
I've suffered from Foot in Mouth Disease for 47 1/2 years. Its no big deal unless you are trying to climb the corporate ladder.
62strat
AG
Foot in mouth disease? Like what Larry David has?
chipotle
Serious. Infection caused febrile seizures. ER doc went straight to labs, spinal and xray. Hours later ped looked in her mouth and was like, "yep, hfm".
GinaLinetti
AG
It can be miserable as an adult. A friend of mine caught it and was uncomfortable for a few weeks.
CDUB98
AG
chipotle said:

Serious. Infection caused febrile seizures. ER doc went straight to labs, spinal and xray. Hours later ped looked in her mouth and was like, "yep, hfm".
Damn. Sorry, man.
Ol Army 01
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

It happens. No big deal.
No big deal?

The wife got this a few years back and could not walk for days due to the blisters. The whole thing took about 3 weeks to clear up.

I wish the OP the best of luck and hope it passes quickly.
AgsMnn
AG
Nothing you can do but let it run its course.
Sweet Clementine
AG
The worst part for me is the mouth sores. My tongue is swollen and sore.
Aries
Husband got it from child #1 & it was bad. He was miserable. Had blisters all over his feet & hands, just a few in his mouth. He could hardly walk for 2 days. He lost most toe nails.
ww
AG
Had it a couple years ago, just let it run it's course (it sucks), but for me, it was gone in a few days.
angel_00
AG
My kids have had it twice and it was brutal both times. Fevers of 104+, couldn't eat, constant pain and one kiddo had every toenail fall off. I've heard it's worse when the adults get it and can be very painful. Prayers for a mild case and quick healing.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Wife and I both caught it from our baby nephew sometime around our wedding. We didn't realize it until we were on our honeymoon in the keys. Luckily we didn't experience any sores in our mouths, but the little ******* sores on our hands a feet lasted a week. Neither of us could walk comfortably. Also, expect to lose a few fingernails/toenails in the coming months.

Doc said adults are usually only susceptible to it if they never had it as children.
Ags4DaWin
Are they having this go through the daycare regularly? Because if so they need to sterilize better.

7-10 days of discomfort usually. Hydrate. Wash hands. Swishing regularly with Maslow helps decrease oral pain from the sores. Lots and lots of zinc can help. Viruses hate zinc.

Also you need to go through the house and soak everything that your daughter puts in her mouth in Chlorox. Wipe all knobs down, keyboards, everything. The virus can remain infective for days and weeks on surfaces.

Also wash everyone's hands regularly.
murphyag
AG
Friend of mine had it and got really, really sick from it. Sick for 2 weeks and then not really back to normal for a month. Supposed to be much more serious illness in adults. Friend said it was sickest she'd been in her life. Only time ever that she felt so sick she thought she would die.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Got a mild case from my son a few years ago. I felt like crap for a week and had no energy or any idea what was wrong until the sores on my hand showed up. I guess we were both lucky bc my sons was a mild case and mine was too compared to the stuff y'all are talking about.
Sweet Clementine
AG
I feel like crap today and the mouth sores have gotten worse, I've developed some new sores in my mouth and a few new bumps on my hands.
No wonder my kid was so cranky last weekend.
B-1 83
AG
My kids used to play "Hamds, shoulders, knees and toes". It really makes you think.
malenurse
AG
CDUB98 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

CDUB98 said:

See a doctor.
Get a prescription.

For a virus?
joke
No joke. Ask your doctor for a prescription for Magic Mouthwash. It contains both viscous lidocaine and benadryl, along with a few other things.

Helps with the pain and inflammation.

Not a cure. But it treats the symptoms.
aggie_wes
AG
I had it and only ended up getting the blisters in my mouth. Had something like 10 of them. I had to take Vicodin just to eat. It was miserable.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Well played.
Rutedown
Crazy, I never known anyone that has had it.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Ol Army 01 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

It happens. No big deal.
No big deal?

The wife got this a few years back and could not walk for days due to the blisters. The whole thing took about 3 weeks to clear up.

I wish the OP the best of luck and hope it passes quickly.

So you're saying I'd get a day off work?

Where might I contract this affliction?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.