Sad. Aggie killed in hit and run.

5,659 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by P.C. Principal
PrincessButtercup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hadn't seen this posted, but I just stumbled across the story. I want to beat that smirk off the guy's face.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/driver-sought-in-uptown-hit-and-run/423948542

Here.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/rachel-spelman-obituary?pid=1000000184583558

In case Ags want to donate to a scholarship her parents have formed in her memory.
Dread Pirate Roberts
Truly sad and revolting!

Classy release by the father. Even if I had a PR person helping me, I wouldn't be that nice. Then again, I'd be in custody for cutting off every one of that guy's limbs with a chain saw. But that's just me.
Ag In Ok
AG
Here
TecRecAg
AG
Glad they found the guy.
GMM
TecRecAg said:

Glad they found the guy.

His sister turned him in
Rexter
BS charges. It should be murder if someone leaves the scene.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Rexter said:

BS charges. It should be murder if someone leaves the scene.

Not only did he leave the scene, but he got out of the car, looked at her, then drove off.
redd38
AG
Seems like taking off is going to result in a less severe charge for him, right? Doesn't seem like it should work that way. He should at least get manslaughter.
PatAg
AG
redd38 said:

Seems like taking off is going to result in a less severe charge for him, right? Doesn't seem like it should work that way. He should at least get manslaughter.
I don't think you read it right.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Quote:

Dallas police say they believe Esparza stopped and got out of his car, walked back and looked at Spelman, then fled in an unknown direction.
Accidents happen; but it takes a special grade of degenerate to do this.
redd38
AG
PatAg said:

redd38 said:

I don't think you read it right.
Looks like what they're going to charge him with is a third degree felony, and intoxicated manslaughter (cause let's be real, dude was probably drunk at 2am if he's leaving the scene of an accident) is a second degree felony.

What am I reading wrong?
PorkEatingCrusader
Fonzie Scheme said:

Quote:

Dallas police say they believe Esparza stopped and got out of his car, walked back and looked at Spelman, then fled in an unknown direction.
Accidents happen; but it takes a special grade of degenerate to do this.
Ever been to Madill, OK? Marshall county is the Degenerate capital of the world!
aggieforester05
AG
They said in the video that he was being charged with a second degree felony.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Ever been OK? Degenerate capital of the world!
FIFY
Sticks&Stones
AG
'I'm sorry she had to be so careless': Driver BLAMES woman he killed in hit-and-run crash before he is sentenced to 20 years in prison
  • John Esparza, 31, was speeding when he fatally struck Rachel Spelman, 23, and then drove off in Dallas in March 2017
  • Esparza pleaded guilty to felony counts of manslaughter and failure to render aid and was sentenced to 20 years in prison
  • Speaking inside a courtroom crowded with Spelman's relatives, Esparza argued that both he and the victim were at fault for the accident
  • His lawyer said Spelman was drunk when she decided to cross the street without using a crosswalk

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6507963/Driver-blames-woman-killed-hit-run-crash-sentenced-20-years-prison.html

What a P.O.S.
BenFiasco14
AG
Makes my blood boil. I didn't see this thread when it was originally posted.

I hope that POS driver rots in prison for the full 20 years and doesn't get parole or anything. What a true piece of TRASH!!
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Tatem
would he have been in any trouble if he would have stopped? since she wasn't in a crosswalk?

this is very sad, I don't want to take away from that...just asking
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Definitely a classy written response by the father - he's a better man than I am. Very sad story.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
20 years? **** that.

Guy should be hit by a car, enough to be badly injured but not killed, and left to die alone.
P.C. Principal
Using the "but she was negligent too" excuse. You still went 20+ over in an urban part of town with lots of lights and pedestrians, looked at her lifeless body, then fled the state and tried to destroy the evidence on your vehicle. And almost certainly lied about "not being drunk" when you hit her. Go **** yourself.

This story has made my blood boil since I heard about it back then. 20 years is about 100 years too short.

Ugh there are few things in life as infuriating as victim blaming.
agdaddy04
AG
Tatem said:

would he have been in any trouble if he would have stopped? since she wasn't in a crosswalk?

He was probably drunk and that's why he didn't stop.
JABQ04
AG
Trial, tree, rope.
PatAg
AG
Tatem said:

I think the fact that he was speeding would still have him in trouble. This is why those areas with lots of bars/restaurants can be dangerous, because people don't drive accordingly. People do stupid/careless things when they have been drinking, like just deciding to cross the street randomly, but now because this guy was speeding she's dead.
Ragoo
AG
Tatem said:

who cares about trouble. Be a decent human being first. Let your reaction to the situation speak to the jury. Running away is cowardice.
Dread Pirate Roberts
I can't fathom the callousness involved.
Dread Pirate Roberts
I could never be a trial defense attorney. I agree everyone should have help defending themselves, but I can't work to help keep slimy criminals out of prison.
BenFiasco14
AG
Dread Pirate Roberts said:

I could never be a trial defense attorney. I agree everyone should have help defending themselves, but I can't work to help keep slimy criminals out of prison.
And to make matters worse, if they DO go to prison, it won't take long till you have to write an affidavit for a court somewhere attesting you weren't ineffective as your former client will promptly throw you under the bus on any appeal possible
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
P.C. Principal
Dread Pirate Roberts said:

You are definitely not alone. But it's also why I respect lots of them (mainly PDs) for representing someone obviously guilty, which can be a tough job. In that case the most important thing is ensuring the defendant's constitutional rights are protected.

Of course, it sucks when they are being slimy, like OJ's lawyers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.