Ring dunk history

9,978 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Goose
Jules_Winnfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How did ring dunk start?
Liquid Wrench
Started in the corps. As the university grew and nonregs learned of the tradition, they decided to try it with beer instead.
champagnepapi
Maybe Aggie related through our military history,

Paratroopers in WW2 would dunk their Airborne Wings upon graduation in a pint of beer. Yes, it is in Band of Brothers, but validated upon further research and confirmed with wife's grandfather who was drafted into WW2. Use to be 6 weeks long too.
Joe Exotic
AG
10k antiqued no diamond

Quintessential Aggie ring
aggiebq03+
Because Aggies love beer
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

10k antiqued no diamond

Quintessential Aggie ring
Tarnished rings are how academic cheaters got their ring done according to some old Ags. You can still see signs in some old classrooms that say "dont tarnish the ring" meaning "don't cheat".
HBCanine08
AG
I love drunk history
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Need to start doing it with a grog bowl.
george92
The tradition started in 1991 after me and a few of my buddies got our rings. We wanted to celebrate and were looking to tie one on so we headed over to the Bird. One of my idiot buddies was spinning his ring on the table and me, being tired of it, dropped it into the pitcher of beer we just bought. I told him he had to drink the entire pitcher to get his ring back without taking a break. He wanted his ring back badly so he chugged the beer and with a loud burp and some cheers, a tradition was born. Don't buy into all this crap about the core or anyone else coming up with this. We were the first and that tradition lives on today with hundreds of young adults gulping down beer or wine or soda followed by burps and chunks in many cases.

Your Welcome.
TexasRebel
AG
First off, it started with Chuggers.

The pitcher thing was oneupmanship
RAB87
AG
george92 said:

The tradition started in 1991 after me and a few of my buddies got our rings. We wanted to celebrate and were looking to tie one on so we headed over to the Bird. One of my idiot buddies was spinning his ring on the table and me, being tired of it, dropped it into the pitcher of beer we just bought. I told him he had to drink the entire pitcher to get his ring back without taking a break. He wanted his ring back badly so he chugged the beer and with a loud burp and some cheers, a tradition was born. Don't buy into all this crap about the core or anyone else coming up with this. We were the first and that tradition lives on today with hundreds of young adults gulping down beer or wine or soda followed by burps and chunks in many cases.

Your Welcome.
Do you know how I know you're lying? Because Fightin Texas Aggies can spell! It's corps and you're, not core and your.
GinaLinetti
AG
Hey guys! Watch this!

george92
RAB87 said:

Do you know how I know you're lying? Because Fightin Texas Aggies can spell! It's corps and you're, not core and your.
Thats just like you're opinion bro.
Ark03
AG
george92 said:

Your Welcome.

Mfbarnes? I was wondering where you got off to.
Al Bula
AG
I have it on good authority MFBarnes created the tradition of ring dunking.
wbt5845
AG
I can tell you it did not exist (that I know of) in 1983 when I got my ring.
Tom Hagen
AG
wbt5845 said:

It existed in 1988, so it must have started 84-87.
wbt5845
AG
Tom Hagen said:

wbt5845 said:

It existed in 1988, so it must have started 84-87.
This sounds about right. It's possible it was starting to happened when I got mine but I never heard about it. My brother, who was in the Corps, graduated in 1981 and it didn't exist back then either.
tamu80
AG
Did not exist in 1980
Dad-O-Lot
AG
george92 said:

Your Welcome.
Class of '88 here and ring dunking happened well before that.

Chugging the whole pitcher wasn't common, but dunking your ring in a pitcher that you were supposed to drink all of was.

We were a bit more civilized. Buy the pitcher, drop the ring in. Leisurely drink the pitcher one glass at a time while having good conversation with friends. The last of the beer, however, was drunk directly from the pitcher and you would catch the ring in your teeth (careful not to crack a tooth, those things are heavy). Put on the ring and get another pitcher, or move on with your life, play pool, etc...
Goose
AG
I was never a believer in the timed chugging of the pitcher either. We drank straight from the pitcher, but I had no problem enjoying my beer, and the moment, rather than chugging it and spilling a third down my shirt in the process. Rechristened mine when friends got theirs at a later time as well; why not, right.

Edit: got my ring in '91
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.