Proof that FTI and those of us that appreciated him are geniuses

1,776 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agnerd
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/if-you-laugh-at-these-dark-jokes-you%E2%80%99re-probably-a-genius/ar-BByb84M?li=BBnba9O

Quote:

According to a new study published in the journal Cognitive Processing, your reaction could indicate your intelligence. In the paper, a team of psychologists concludes that people who appreciate dark humor defined as 'humor that treats sinister subjects like death, disease, deformity, handicap or warfare with bitter amusement and presents such tragic, distressing or morbid topics in humorous terms'may have higher IQs, show lower aggression, and resist negative feelings more effectively than people who turn up their noses at it.
The joke:
Quote:

A man walks into a rooftop bar and takes a seat next to another guy. "What are you drinking?" he asks the guy.
"Magic beer," he says.
"Oh, yeah? What's so magical about it?"
Then he shows him: He swigs some beer, dives off the roof, flies around the building, then finally returns to his seat with a triumphant smile.
"Amazing!" the man says. "Lemme try some of that!" The man grabs the beer. He downs it, leaps off the roof and plummets 15 stories to the ground.
The bartender shakes his head. "You know, you're a real jerk when you're drunk, Superman."
Flashdiaz
AG
AgEng06 said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/if-you-laugh-at-these-dark-jokes-you%E2%80%99re-probably-a-genius/ar-BByb84M?li=BBnba9O

Quote:

According to a new study published in the journal Cognitive Processing, your reaction could indicate your intelligence. In the paper, a team of psychologists concludes that people who appreciate dark humor defined as 'humor that treats sinister subjects like death, disease, deformity, handicap or warfare with bitter amusement and presents such tragic, distressing or morbid topics in humorous terms'may have higher IQs, show lower aggression, and resist negative feelings more effectively than people who turn up their noses at it.
The joke:
Quote:

A man walks into a rooftop bar and takes a seat next to another guy. "What are you drinking?" he asks the guy.
"Magic beer," he says.
"Oh, yeah? What's so magical about it?"
Then he shows him: He swigs some beer, dives off the roof, flies around the building, then finally returns to his seat with a triumphant smile.
"Amazing!" the man says. "Lemme try some of that!" The man grabs the beer. He downs it, leaps off the roof and plummets 15 stories to the ground.
The bartender shakes his head. "You know, you're a real jerk when you're drunk, Superman."

that joke transported me back to the fifth grade.

I laughed then so I guess I was a genius.... what a waste.
HC
You're gonna get a permaban for this one, OP
Eliminatus
AG
It also helps if the joke is actually ya know, funny.

Course, now I feel stupid and inadequate. Thanks
03_Aggie
Guess karma came back and got Superman for that one. Didn't he end being a quadriplegic?
Human
AG
03_Aggie said:

Guess karma came back and got Superman for that one. Didn't he end being a quadriplegic?

Genius
Dread Pirate Roberts
This is a pretty weak report

Quote:

Participants who both comprehended and enjoyed the dark jokes showed higher IQs
Really? You had to have a study to figure out that people smart enough to understand the jokes probably score higher on IQ tests?

------------------------------------

Quote:

Participants who both comprehended and enjoyed the dark jokes showed higher IQs, and reported less aggressive tendencies, than those who did not. Incidentally, the participants who least liked the humor showed the highest levels of aggression and the worst moods of the bunch.
So the people who are laughing at jokes are in a better mood than the people who are not laughing at the jokes? I never would have guessed that.

-----------------------------------

Maybe the author simply relayed the information in a bad way, because I do think there's something there. However, I love the combination of the dark jokes and silly puns. It doesn't matter how many times I've heard the Superman or Kermit joke, I still laugh. That was my first time with the pit bull joke and I laughed out loud for some dumb reason. But I love to drive my wife and kids crazy with ridiculous puns that they're not expecting. I just have to remember to not use those same jokes in corporate meetings.

I'm an odd combination of the overly happy optimist and having early-onset-old-man-crankiness - which skews my humor. Crankiness set in this week when my wife saw a woman she knows pushing a stroller and asked the stupid question, "Did you already have your baby?" I loudly cut in with "No, she's just practicing pushing a stroller around for the fun of it!" causing A LOT of people to stare. Not sure if they were focused on her stupid question or my jerky humor, but the wife didn't like it! Oh well, she's used to it by now.
swc93
AG
Big fan of holocaust jokes; make me a genius, anti-Semite or just Hitler?
agnerd
AG
So if I'm the biggest Darwin fan out there, does that make me a genius?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.