Aliens (probably)

2,274 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Collective
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Not just one, but seven Earth-size planets that could potentially harbor life have been identified orbiting a tiny star not too far away, offering the first realistic opportunity to search for signs of alien life outside of the solar system.

The planets orbit a dwarf star named Trappist-1, about 40 light years, or some 235 trillion miles, from Earth. That is quite close in cosmic terms, and by happy accident, the orientation of the orbits of the seven planets allows them to be studied in great detail.

One or more of the exoplanets in this new system could be at the right temperature to be awash in oceans of water, astronomers said, based on the distance of the planets from the dwarf star.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a25336/seven-earth-like-planets-trappist-1/
redd38
AG
Screw Earth! I'm going to Trappist-1g!
Unemployed
AG
redd38 said:

Only 1G? I'd rather go to Trappist-LTE.
AgEng06
AG
Mmmm, Trappist...

chipotle
So since it's so far away does that mean it's there now?
titanmaster_race
5 of the 7 planets are closer to the red dwarf star them Mercury is to the Sun. All 7 are closer then Venus is the Sun.

And they are all within the goldilocks zone? That's a neat size comparison of the sun to this red dwarf.
Amazing Moves
Thanks, Science.

Lord_TyTy
RealTalk said:

redd38 said:

Only 1G? I'd rather go to Trappist-LTE.
What's the coverage like with Trappist? I'd hate to get there and live in the middle of a dead zone
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

One or more of the exoplanets in this new system could be at the right temperature to be awash in oceans of water, astronomers said, based on the distance of the planets from the dwarf star.

Yeah, OK. Why not go full ******, unnamed astronomer, and say the new system could be at the right temperature to be awash in singles bars.

---------Artist's conception---------
Flashdiaz
AG
it usually annoys me when scientist declare there can be life only because they find a planet like ours, as if all life can only be like the one existing on our planet. They could at least qualify it with 'life as we know it'.

regardless, that's genuinely fascinating. I wish we had that same situation so we could easily hop into another world once we overpopulate one of them.
Waffledynamics
AG
Flashdiaz said:

it usually annoys me when scientist declare there can be life only because they find a planet like ours, as if all life can only be like the one existing on our planet. They could at least qualify it with 'life as we know it'.

regardless, that's genuinely fascinating. I wish we had that same situation so we could easily hop into another world once we overpopulate one of them.
Well, we only have a sample size of one planet with life on it.
WC87
AG
Just our luck to be invaded by a bunch of ****ing little dwarf star aliens.
eric.cartman
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I fully agree. I also think that being in goldilocks zone does not mean jack **** and there are so many other factors which affect viability of life formation. We will soon find out that abiogenesis has very very small probability and we will have to travel millions of light years to find life. I still think life would be plentiful in the universe since the size of universe is infinite. Inifinite multiply by small probability still results in infinite life forms. We can't just meet them because of sheer size of spacetime.
Whens lunch
AG
I hear there are 6-star linebackers galore.....but only Bama &LSU will manage to get them qualified.
BlitzBrother
235 trillion miles out ........rriiggghhhtt .... calling BS here !
The Collective
AG
So, we found Xenu, I take it...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.