Runner's foot impaled by nail purposely placed on trail, 40 total found in park

3,534 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tandy miller
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

SYLVA, N.C. The 1,100-acre Pinnacle Park west of Asheville remains closed after a runner's foot was impaled by a nail purposely placed on a popular trail that leads to the Black Rock Summit.

Brian Barwatt, an engineer with the Department of Transportation, and the race director of the Assault on Black Rock, a trail race in Pinnacle Park in March, was at the park Monday with the Sylva police chief Davis Woodard, town maintenance workers and other volunteers scouting out more nails.

Since Saturday, 40 nails hammered into tree roots and logs have been found, Barwatt said.

"On Saturday we found eight in an isolated area and thought we had it contained, but when we explored more, we found it was more than we could handle ourselves and I called the police chief," Barwatt said.

"We're literally blowing every leaf off trail, and following behind with metal detectors. "It was a deliberate effort. Someone hammered 4-inch long galvanized nails and left them sticking out a half- to 1 inch, and at an angle so they're like spikes."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/02/21/runners-foot-impaled-nail-purposefully-placed-trail-40-total-found-along-trail/98190816/

I have a new, terrifying fear
boboguitar
AG
Wow...and I go to Asheville next month.
Slicer97
AG
They should crucify the sum***** that did that.
TyHolden
AG
Why the craft beer capital of the world?
bmc13
AG
wtf
marble rye
AG
Has anyone alerted wangus?
RVAg02
AG
First the clowns, now this...
redd38
AG
Sounds like a great reason to never exercise.
superunknown
AG
redd38 said:

Sounds like a great reason to never exercise.

I can tell you right now i will not be running nearly as much.
chipotle
Ha...running
Bruce Almighty
AG
Next, there will be HIV needles on seat cushions in movie theaters.
dds08
AG
This is a new low.

I can't begin to imagine the consequences for the perpetrator.

He/she will regret this. I'm certain of it.
Lungblood
Radical Islam... Thanks Obama!
PA04
This is going to draw some pretty negative attention to my campaign to install bicycle-specific tire spikes on public roads.
Lungblood
PA04 said:

This is going to draw some pretty negative attention to my campaign to install bicycle-specific tire spikes on public roads.

That's a great idea, which will undoubtedly fail... Thanks again Obama!
wangus12
AG
Sweet mother of God. If I found someone doing it, their body wouldn't leave the woods
MooreTrucker
AG
dds08 said:

This is a new low.

I can't begin to imagine the consequences for the perpetrator.

He/she will regret this. I'm certain of it.
Bet he/she doesn't. They'll claim to be some kind of "save the trails" eco-warrior and get reduced punishment, if any at all.
BostonAg74
When I was about ten, I was playing touch football in a vacant lot, running through the tall weeds, and I felt something sharp go into my foot. I looked down and saw the nail (attached to a board) sticking out of the top of my foot. My immediate reaction was to pull it out, which I guess was just as well, because I didn't have time to think about the pain. The injury really wasn't that big a deal. Puncture wound that didn't bleed that much.

One of the dads in the neighborhood decided to mow the weeds so we could clear out any more junk, and when he did, he found several more boards with nails in them, placed all over the lot. All fresh cut boards, with the nails all the same. So we knew it was intentional. We just didn't know who did it. The kids all thought it was the Baptist preacher who lived next door to the lot and always yelled at us for playing there, but the adults wouldn't even consider the possibility that a preacher had done it, so they just dropped it. This was the sixties: no local TV crew to investigate, small town police force that couldn't care less, and no personal injury lawyers lurking in the shadows. I got a cool scar though.
Beer Baron
AG
Quote:

Snakes. Heights. Ending up in a real-life episode of Criminal Minds. This.
MooreTrucker
AG
Beer Baron said:

Quote:

Snakes. Heights. Ending up in a real-life episode of Criminal Minds. This.
This almost sounds like the beginning of a CM episode...victim steps on an intentionally planted spike, drops to the ground in pain, then is abducted by the unsub.
swc93
AG
I've been running on a trail before...
MooreTrucker
AG
I guess I'm lucky that I'm too clumsy to run on uneven surfaces, so I stay on sidewalks and park paths.
The Collective
AG
That's messed up, yo.
Tex117
AG
http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/74/56/4749faed840f9b5f8c0ef6ec59c6d738_13.mp4
agnerd
AG
So it was like a Spartan race, but not for pu$$ies?
tandy miller
AG
I've run on a trail before.... Really makes you think
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.