Award-winning film director robs grocery store to prove piracy is wrong

2,710 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Humorous Username
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

The filmmaker, who scooped an Emmy award for his work on ESPN's Dream On: The Stories of Boston's Strongest, raised $500,000 from close friends and acquaintances to direct a horror movie called Happy Birthday. But as it turns out, not everyone who saw the movie opted to pay for it.

According to Tebo, an employee of an undisclosed grocery store torrented his latest movie and brought in a copy for everyone else at work to watch.

Determined to prove that pirating content is equivalent to stealing, the disgruntled director decided to go to the store in question and record himself lifting $30 worth of groceries for clam chowder without paying for them.

Describing his revenge initiative as a PSA ("Pirates suck ass"), the filmmaker has since uploaded the video to YouTube.

As you can expect, Tebo gets confronted by an employee of the store shortly after leaving the premises and the two quickly get into a heated exchange.

"You have to go into the store and pay or I'm gonna call the cops," the employee says. "This is a store, you just robbed it."

This is when the filmmaker unleashes his rhetorical, self-righteous rant. "See, the guy who works at your store likes to download the movies and burn 'em and give them to everybody who works there. You have people in your store who are stealing from my industry, so why can't I just steal from you guys?"

While the two go back and forth for a little longer before the video cuts abruptly, Tebo claims he eventually returned the stolen goods. I guess he felt confident enough he'd made his point clear.

Video:

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/01/20/director-robbed-grocery-store-piracy/
Humorous Username
AG
When the lead actor is paid as much as the head guy in the Produce section, then I'll feel bad about pirated movies.
Satellite of Love
So how much of the box office profits do the average person receive who worked on a movie? I love how these idjiot celebs and directors whine about piracy hurting their industry and the little guy. They DGAF about them, they want more money in their pockets.
Drawkcab
Defending theft
AgGrad99
AG

This guy must have skipped preschool they day they taught 'two wrongs don't make a right'

Liquid Wrench
Piracy is definitely the reason I did not pay money to watch a crowd sourced horror movie called "Happy Birthday." Piracy is probably the reason I'd never heard of it before today. Damn you, piracy!!!
Baby Billy
AG
Why did he have to do all that **** just to prove piracy is wrong?

Everyone already knew it was wrong.

Dumbass
tk for tu juan
Huell Babineaux said:

Everyone already knew it was wrong.

Dumbass
Tell that to the people using Kodi on Amazon Firestick.
Serious Lee
currently viewing this thread off my neighbors wifi. carry on, suckers
thebloomer
AG
Oh, I get it. It's ok to steal from successful people, but not from losers. I wonder which you are?
Humorous Username
AG
thebloomer said:

Oh, I get it. It's ok to steal from successful people, but not from losers. I wonder which you are?

Just call me motherfu****g Robin Hood.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.