A Definitive Ranking of Fast-Food French Fries

5,978 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Doctor Rosenrosen
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Curly, crisscut, or skinnywhich chain has perfected America's favorite fried-potato snack? It's time to set the record straight.

14. Five Guys
13. In-N-Out
12. Sonic
11. Chick-fil-A
10. KFC
9. Burger King
8. Steak n' Shake
7. Del Taco
6. Shake Shack
5. Popeyes
4. McDonald's
3. Carl's Jr.
2. Wendy's

1. Arby's

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/fast-food-french-fries-ranked/
Leeman
In-N-Out has the worst fries I ever ate.
vette
AG
1) Arby's
2) whataburger
3) McDonald's

4) the rest
chipotle

Geralt of Rivia
S
1. Jack in the Box seasoned curly fries
2. McDonalds

That's it
HBCanine08
AG
Leeman said:

Same here. That place is over-hyped AF.
chipotle
Fries should be crisp enough to stand on their own and be sufficiently salted. Three quarters on that list fail the test consistently.
gigemJTH12
AG
vette said:

1) Arby's
2) whataburger
3) McDonald's

4) the rest
whataburger? Really?

I only get onion rings there. 1, because their onion rings are awesome. but mostly because their fries are ass my dude.
gigemJTH12
AG
Texas Burger has the best fries.
gigemJTH12
AG
how is Chic-Fil-A number 11? way too low.
Eliminatus
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Leeman said:

HB I feel like we should be friends. We are both brown, love pasty white women, and despise In-N-Out.

Seriously, I can concede that their burgers are edible to a degree and filling....but those fries are ****ing heinous. I legitimately will not eat them even if right in front of me.
EFE
AG
Freddie's frozen custard fries are noticeably absent from this list, I demand a recount.
chipotle
EagleFordEarl said:

Freddie's frozen custard fries are noticeably absent from this list, I demand a recount.

monica
Madaman
i love five guys' cajun fries
The Collective
AG
Ags4DaWin
Seriously? Ur list is awful except for the #1 slot. Which shouldn't even be number 1. Wendy's fries USED to be good. Now they are awful. Del Taco fries even made the list? REALLY?!? Everything made by that place is just plain vile. And ANYONE who puts five guys fries at the bottom of the list obviously has no taste.

Here is your corrected list.

15. In n' Out (consistency of cardboard. No flavor. Will not eat ever.)
14. Wendy's (horrible since the menu revamp. Used to be near the top of my list. Now-soggy at best with a funny aftertaste. Their awfulness are the reason Wendy's now let's you substitute a baked potato or salad as your side)
13. Carl's Jr. (I will not order fries with my burger to avoid these)
12. Tie: Sonic (tried to jump on the natural cut bandwagon and failed miserably)
12. Tie: Whataburger (the restaurant's name is NOT what-a-fries for a reason. Frequently soggy. No fluff to them. They droop and drag. I order onion rings instead or just a burger to avoid these. Lifeless and without flavor, which is a shame because their ketchup is so good)
11. Popeyes (not known for fries but edible due to spices)
10. Jack in the box regular cut (mediocre probably lower than they should be because they compete side by side with the curly fries and just can't)
9. KFC (potato wedges are hit and miss depending on the day. Sometimes hot and fluffy but if it's an off day they are cold in the middle, soggy, and tough).
8. Steak and shake (decent. No complaints)
7. Burger King (the good thick kind of fries. Not my style of fries, but if you're a fan of thick cut, good)
6. Chick fil-A (go well with their sauces. My preference is with either the honey barbecue sauce or honey mustard. Not good with ketchup. And do not sit well if left longer than 15 minutes. Once cold are like cardboard. Typically under salted, but jump a few spots because they go so well with everything else the restaurant serves).
5. Five Guy's. (Made fresh, good spices, large orders. Go well with their burgers)
4.(Tie) Arby's: very good but too much variety in a single order. The fries are either thick or very thin with no in between, and there is too big a difference between the flavor and textures of the thick and thin. Luckily the wife likes the thick ones that tend to be a little chewy. I like the thin ones that tend to be crunchy. So when we are together we split the order. Cannot eat a full order alone because of the inconsistency, and leave all the thick cut ones in the box).
4. (tie) Raisin Cane's: good crinkle cut. Especially with cane sauce. If left sitting in the styrofoam box with the kid closed get soggy fast. Go well with the food served although typically under salted.
3. McDonald's. (The standard for fries. Consistently crispy outside and flakey inside.)
2. Jack in the box curly (consistent thickness and texture. Good flavor. Standard for curly fries)
1. Freddy's Frozen Custard. If you like thin cut fries these are your go to. Crispy with a light fluff. Go well with both Freddy's seasoning as well as their special sauce. Can be dipped in a chocolate frozen custard for those feeling adventurous.
titanmaster_race
any list of good food which contains Arby's is automatically DQ'd
PapaJohn14
AG
Maybe it's not exactly fast food, but wing stop's fries are the best.
Potcake
AG
Checker's has really good fries.
Ags4DaWin
Potcake said:

Checker's has really good fries.

Do they even exist anymore? Used to be one down the street from my house. I see their fries at wal-matt all the time though.
ElCheAg
AG
Freddy's
LupinusTexensis
Chick-fil-A beats every fry in the world.
Ragoo
AG
Dairy queen eot
OldArmyBQ77
Everything at Whataburger is sh*t. Most over rated fast food joint in history.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Whataburger fries are not good, but their spicy ketchup makes them much better. McDonalds has the best. Too bad the rest of their food sucks.
AggieRob93
AG
I have always thought Braum's fries are pretty good.
Krazykat
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Seriously? Ur list is awful except for the #1 slot. Which shouldn't even be number 1. Wendy's fries USED to be good. Now they are awful. Del Taco fries even made the list? REALLY?!? Everything made by that place is just plain vile. And ANYONE who puts five guys fries at the bottom of the list obviously has no taste.

Here is your corrected list.

15. In n' Out (consistency of cardboard. No flavor. Will not eat ever.)
14. Wendy's (horrible since the menu revamp. Used to be near the top of my list. Now-soggy at best with a funny aftertaste. Their awfulness are the reason Wendy's now let's you substitute a baked potato or salad as your side)
13. Carl's Jr. (I will not order fries with my burger to avoid these)
12. Tie: Sonic (tried to jump on the natural cut bandwagon and failed miserably)
12. Tie: Whataburger (the restaurant's name is NOT what-a-fries for a reason. Frequently soggy. No fluff to them. They droop and drag. I order onion rings instead or just a burger to avoid these. Lifeless and without flavor, which is a shame because their ketchup is so good)
11. Popeyes (not known for fries but edible due to spices)
10. Jack in the box regular cut (mediocre probably lower than they should be because they compete side by side with the curly fries and just can't)
9. KFC (potato wedges are hit and miss depending on the day. Sometimes hot and fluffy but if it's an off day they are cold in the middle, soggy, and tough).
8. Steak and shake (decent. No complaints)
7. Burger King (the good thick kind of fries. Not my style of fries, but if you're a fan of thick cut, good)
6. Chick fil-A (go well with their sauces. My preference is with either the honey barbecue sauce or honey mustard. Not good with ketchup. And do not sit well if left longer than 15 minutes. Once cold are like cardboard. Typically under salted, but jump a few spots because they go so well with everything else the restaurant serves).
5. Five Guy's. (Made fresh, good spices, large orders. Go well with their burgers)
4.(Tie) Arby's: very good but too much variety in a single order. The fries are either thick or very thin with no in between, and there is too big a difference between the flavor and textures of the thick and thin. Luckily the wife likes the thick ones that tend to be a little chewy. I like the thin ones that tend to be crunchy. So when we are together we split the order. Cannot eat a full order alone because of the inconsistency, and leave all the thick cut ones in the box).
4. (tie) Raisin Cane's: good crinkle cut. Especially with cane sauce. If left sitting in the styrofoam box with the kid closed get soggy fast. Go well with the food served although typically under salted.
3. McDonald's. (The standard for fries. Consistently crispy outside and flakey inside.)
2. Jack in the box curly (consistent thickness and texture. Good flavor. Standard for curly fries)
1. Freddy's Frozen Custard. If you like thin cut fries these are your go to. Crispy with a light fluff. Go well with both Freddy's seasoning as well as their special sauce. Can be dipped in a chocolate frozen custard for those feeling adventurous.

+1. This list is more accurate than the OP's list.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
What about popeyes?
Texker
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Leeman said:

We like INO but agree it doesn't live up to the hype. A couple of hints. Order the fries well done. Get the double double cheeseburger, onions grilled, no sauce, easy mustard instead.
treetop flyer
The whataburger hate is unfounded. Not the best but top 5 in the fast food world.
Drawkcab
EagleFordEarl said:

That's because it appears to be only the top 14 fries. Would need to expand to 20-25 to get Freddy's.
Drawkcab
WTF is crisscut? We all know who's fries they're talking about and they're called waffle fries.
aggieforester05
AG
Wingstop should be added to this list.
Bocephus
AG
In and Out actually uses real potatoes, and then fries them. That's why we all hate them. No preservatives, and dangit we want out processed food!!!
CHEN Ag 2019
AG
Leeman said:

the only way they are tolerable is if you ask for them extra crispy
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.