Moving to BCS this Summer

2,531 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by UnderoosAg
Transplant352
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy,

I'm moving to Bryan/College Station this summer for grad school. What should I know? General rundown? I'm a dude, late 20s, not into the undergrad scenes.

Any help is appreciated.
AgBass01
AG
PrincessButtercup
AG
Look at places in Bryan. Most of College Station is 18-24 year old housing. Obviously there are exceptions (I lived at Cripple Creek condos when I was in grad school), but Bryan tends to have more places for a little older crowd.

For hangouts, downtown Bryan is cool. Again, has a bit of an older crowd.
PseudonymK
AG
It's kinda boring and repetitive. So, make sure you make a lot of friends. In the summer, things will never quite match fall & spring.

P.S. I was born here.
Eliminatus
AG
Ever been here before? If not I also second Bryan. Don't think I can ever live in the student sections of CS again.

Not sure what else you want to know. Entertainment? Quite a loaded question and entirely dependent on you. Living? Bryan for grads and professionals. Food? Laynes>>>>>Canes.
The Collective
AG
Pros: New hot chicks arrive every August.
Cons: Everything else
Unemployed
AG
Transplant352 said:

I'm a dude, late 20s, not into the undergrad scenes.
Homo.
AliasMan02
AG
This is fortuitous. I just moved away and have a fully loaded subway pass for your commute if you're gonna live in Bryan. It goes for $1020/year ($85/month) but sell it to you for half.
aeroag14
AG
Quote:

Look at places in Bryan. Most of College Station is 18-24 year old housing. Obviously there are exceptions (I lived at Cripple Creek condos when I was in grad school), but Bryan tends to have more places for a little older crowd.

That's not really true.

Go south of 2818 in CS and there are a lot of "real neighborhoods".

I would agree that MOST stuff north of 2818 is students or run down, but not all.

Most of the neighborhoods/houses off of Deacon, Rock Prairie, Graham, Baron and WDFitch are more suburby than they are collegy. There are exceptions but there are a ton of "real neighborhoods".

Mort Rainey
The Collective
AG
CS: students, families, retirees.
PrincessButtercup
AG
aeroag14 said:

Quote:

That's not really true.

I would agree that MOST stuff north of 2818 is students or run down, but not all.

Most of the neighborhoods/houses off of Deacon, Rock Prairie, Graham, Baron and WDFitch are more suburby than they are collegy. There are exceptions but there are a ton of "real neighborhoods".

Yeah, I know. I live South CS my last 3 years in College Station. It's just really tough (or was circa 2014) to find a house or townhome that is ~$1500 in that area. I can't imagine wanting to have a roommate in my late 20s, and if you're in grad school, $1500 is steep for rent.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

not into the undergrad scenes.
Congrats on the masturbation.
GigEmAgs14
AG
i think there are some dorms on campus
PseudonymK
AG
College hills, SWV, South Knoll, and a few sprinkled here and there are mainly tame. You can find a duplex or apartment ($600 to $900 for the moment) off Longmire, Ponderosa, Deacon, Welsh, Southwest Parkway, University, Holleman, Graham...Research the streets on the bus routes ICE.

Real answer. Popular community events, our simple bowling alley, ice skating, movies...

My posting? I'm bored beyond understanding,
Transplant352
PrincessButtercup said:

aeroag14 said:

Quote:

That's not really true.

Yeah, I know. I live South CS my last 3 years in College Station. It's just really tough (or was circa 2014) to find a house or townhome that is ~$1500 in that area. I can't imagine wanting to have a roommate in my late 20s, and if you're in grad school, $1500 is steep for rent.
I don't particularly mind roommates. I'll be busy with graduate school, or traveling, most of the time. I was considering buying, since it's so cheap in some of the areas, and rumor has it A&M is expanding like a mofo. I'll keep an eye on south college station as well.

I have visited Downtown Bryan and I like it a lot. But is it good place to live?

aeroag14
AG
That is a good point I had not considered
PrincessButtercup
AG
I've had a few friends live at the lofts there, and they loved it.

South College Station was great for me. It's quiet and pretty, with its own HEB at Towerpoint, so you don't have to be right in the middle of the student action; though, it's still crowded as a mofo. Anything past Graham/Barron is ideal.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Allergies allergies allergies. It's kinda what we do.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Rent a house next to sorority row.

You're welcome.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Mr.NiceGuy said:

You're welcome.
God, no. I lived next door to sorority row. I can't imagine it'd be fun for someone in grad school. Hearing "woooooo!!!!!!!!!" at all hours isn't worth seeing hot girls in nike shorts covered up by oversized t shirts and chacos.
Geralt of Rivia
S
When I was buying a few years back, basically anything in the CS city limits under 150k was a former rental property in need of quite a bit of renovation.

Bryan wasn't quite as bad, depending on the area of town. Downtown is nice, but go a few blocks in any direction and you're into rougher neighborhoods
Frederick Palowaski
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

Mr.NiceGuy said:

You're welcome.
God, no. I lived next door to sorority row. I can't imagine it'd be fun for someone in grad school. Hearing "woooooo!!!!!!!!!" at all hours isn't worth seeing hot girls in nike shorts covered up by oversized t shirts and chacos.

Speak for yourself, sugartits.
histag10
AG
aeroag14 said:

Quote:

That's not really true.

Must have changed since I lived in College Station. I went to many parties in those neighborhoods.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Mr.NiceGuy said:

PrincessButtercup said:

Mr.NiceGuy said:

You're welcome.

Speak for yourself, sugartits.
Haha, shut it. Stevie Ray hated those girls.

Histag- Deacon, Longmire, Rock Prairie, Graham are all still party/college areas. Off Barron is where it starts getting to be the burbs.
PseudonymK
AG
My bad I forgot. there is now a skate park, gyms, the pool, And, the train tracks. SWV area dog park, our library, and you could possibly live off Wellborn or 2818.

If you are only here for the summer check out http://www.bcschamber.org or Aggie Search. And Brazos Valley does have historical spots, people watching at the flea market, plus a reasonable drive withIn 100 miles.
CDUB98
AG
You buttnuggets are letting the OP off too easy. Damn, the GB is a shadow of its former self.
True Anomaly
AG
There's some nice lakes near the railroad tracks in Bryan you could swim in- they're not crowded at all. You'll even get a nice healthy glow from them just from swimming there!
PseudonymK
AG
Kee Kee said:

College hills, SWV, South Knoll, and a few sprinkled here and there are mainly tame. You can find a duplex or apartment ($600 to $900 for the moment) off Longmire, Ponderosa, Deacon, Welsh, Southwest Parkway, University, Holleman, Graham...Research the streets on the bus routes ICE. I'm 31 and lived here 30.7. Others are Haines, lawyer, dexter, anderson, holik, Dartmouth, and even Honda.

Real answer. Popular community events, our simple bowling alley, ice skating, movies...

My posting? I'm bored beyond understanding,

FYI, the Brazos is not where you want to swim. Or that crazy green water that seems to pop up everywhere.
CDUB98
malenurse
AG
BCS is full. Go live in North Zulch.
LupinusTexensis
I lived behind Hornbacks (now closed) in a duplex alone for $525/mo. I loved it because it was quiet and away from the parties. Families mostly lived on my street and I could bike to campus, north gate, grocery store, and Taz (best Indian food) to keep costs low.
LupinusTexensis
Ragoo said:

OP, go hangout at the bar in downtown called Halo. pretty low-key. Mostly dudes though like yourself that are not interesting in nailing hot undergrad coeds.

Halo was my go to dance bar for when I didn't want to **** kick. Dancing and a show.

Revolution is ok, but I have never heard live music there that didn't make my ears want to bleed.
PseudonymK
AG
Transplant352 said:

PrincessButtercup said:

aeroag14 said:

Quote:

That's not really true.

I don't particularly mind roommates. I'll be busy with graduate school, or traveling, most of the time. I was considering buying, since it's so cheap in some of the areas, and rumor has it A&M is expanding like a mofo. I'll keep an eye on south college station as well.

I have visited Downtown Bryan and I like it a lot. But is it good place to live?

You will still live near a train track. But they have made pretty good strides since the 90's.
RAM 12
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.