SCAM ARTIST ASSISTANCE

2,681 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CBattBQ87
The AntAGonist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BLUF: I would like Texags' help finding more information about a scam artistso that I can report more than just a telephone number to the FCCplease.

Details: On Monday Jan 16, My dad got a call from a private number. They told him there were sealed documents out of Bexar county in regards to a legal matter. I am currently in Afghanistan and normally I live in Bexar county. What pisses me off is that they called my parents and scared them while I'm over here.
What we know about them so far:
[ol]
  • The telephone number is 1-855-701-6929
  • They had a "case" number, similar to 25-1993, same digits and dash, but the one they gave my dad had my name attached to it and they knew my birthday which they tried to confirm. Plus they had my Dads' cell number.
  • The same lady seems to answer and she said her name was Melanie and that their offices are out of California, all possible lies, but that's what me and my buddies could get from her after calling from different numbers. She will put you on hold and the line will eventually drop if you question too far.
  • I called Bexar county and they were not open on MLK day, plus they stated the government will not call you, but will mail you or visit you if you're more of a criminal type.
  • I searched the records and there are no criminal or civil matters against me and as far as the county and state are concerned, I am an upstanding citizen. I knowlol.
  • [/ol]
    So Texags, if you are so inclined, please do that voodoo that you do so well!
    5C
    AG
    Yay tax season is here!
    texag06ish
    AG
    I've revived the same phone calls and they gave up after a few days. I'd love to know what you find out.
    The AntAGonist
    AG
    They answer RW and Associates and when I first called she immediately asked if I was retaining an attorney. For all I care, it would be fun to mass call her from random numbers.
    AliasMan02
    AG
    Change aaaaalllllllll of your passwords. If they have your information as well as stuff like your dad's mobile number, this isn't some robo-dial. I'd check your privacy settings on Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. as well and have your folks do the same.
    Ags4DaWin
    Agree with alias. I put 0 personal info on Facebook or any other social media for this reason. At this point with all the hacks that have happened to web sites, stores, the gov't, etc, it is a pretty near certainty that most people's personal info that live in the 1st world is out there on the dark net somewhere. The more scam artists have the more damage they can do.

From what I have seen on here if you want a more enthusiastic response ur gonna hafta post boobs.
    TexasAggiesWin
    S
    Tatem
    thanks obama
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    AG
    Real answer:

For sure change all of your passwords, etc.

If they call again, demand that they provide you all of the following:

• Full name of the person speaking
    • direct telephone number
    • physical address
    • mailing address
    • Name of whatever business they represent

If they balk at any of that, it is very obviously a scam. I would refer to the Bexar County DA and/or Sheriff ASAP because this is basically a confidence trick designed to prey on the elderly and people that may actually have marginal criminal records.

Fake answer:

If they call again, just keep asking the woman on the phone if she's into butt stuff and see how much you'll have to pay her for a 2 hour session.
    Tagguy
    AG
    Quick search shows that many people have been contacted by this number. Appears to be some sort of sleazy debt collector trying to impersonate a county official. Odds are that you forgot about a bill somewhere along the way before you shipped out.

I know several people this has happened to recently that fit the same profile. Calls from a number claiming to have certified county documents they were trying to deliver or were actually working for the county and trying to deliver a document regarding a court case. The caller got progressively aggressive and threatened legal actions her parents and then to show up at her place of work to serve her the court papers. We eventually found out she had a small outstanding balance to Vivant she was unaware of and they had sent it to a collections agency.

TLDR....probably a collections agency

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-855-701-6929
    CBattBQ87
    AG
    Aggressive debt collection can be a violation of federal law and monitored by the Federal Trade Commission under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ("FDCPA").
    https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/consumer-finance/debt-collection

Look at this link about fake debt collectors. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0258-fake-debt-collectors
    https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/stand-fake-debt-collectors

You can also report aggressive/fake collection agencies to the FTC at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.