Family dog kills infant in San Marcos

12,704 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Dread Pirate Roberts
PrincessButtercup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Animal control officers in San Marcos have impounded a family dog that investigators say killed a baby in her home on January 17.

Officials say at around 1:30 p.m., EMS and San Marcos police officers were dispatched to the 1000 block of Sagewood for a report of a two-month-old who was unresponsive and had suffered numerous animal bites.

The child was taken to the hospital where she was pronounced dead just after 2 p.m.

Police and Child Protective Services began an investigation. Investigators say the father of child told them that he fell asleep while the child was napping in an infant bouncer. The father says he woke up about 20 minutes later to find the baby unresponsive and cold to the touch with obvious injury.

Animal control was contacted and a German shepherd was impounded from inside the home.

Investigators say the dog was submissive when approached. The dog is a pet that has been with the family for more than eight years.

The dog will be impounded for at least 10 days. It will then be determined if the dog will be euthanized.
An official autopsy is pending as the investigation continues.
http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/229844353-story

Not a pit bull.
Mort Rainey
AggieHaylea13
AG
I'm not a parent myself but I'm not too sure the infant should have been napping in a bouncer. Regardless, that's super sad and no one deserves to lose their child.

Edit: I googled infant bouncer and it looks like a legit place for a baby to sleep. Awful story though.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I was wondering about the bouncer. But, I have no idea how that works so I can't even comment. So sad. Another article said the dog played with the baby often, and gently. So sad.
The Collective
AG
Sucks. Sounds like a honest mistake by the dad. Don't ever leave Fido with your infant unattended.
The Collective
AG
I think it'd be alright to let an infant cat nap in a bouncer. It would depend on the age & movement ability of the infant, I suppose.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
You let babies sleep pretty much wherever they decide to close their eyes. The bouncer is not relevant to this story.
Matsui
AG
Babies sleep anywhere. The bouncer doesn't matter. Baby could have been sleeping on the floor, it doesn't make it right the dog killed the kid.
histag10
AG
Bouncers are great places for babies to nap.

Though you should never let your baby nap somewhere alone with the dog, nor should you leave you infant alone with a dog ever.

sad, sad story. Breaks my heart

Though not relevant to the story at all- here is what an infant bouncer is:

I feel like some people are likely thinking of something else when they hear bouncer. Maybe thinking of a jumper?
GoneGirl
AG
That is truly heartbreaking. I have a dog that I would trust with my life.... but not with a baby's life.

Max06
AG
That poor dad is going to have some serious guilt issues after this. I CANNOT imagine having to live with that.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
It's incredible how different the posts are when it's not a pit bull.
Beckdiesel03
AG
How do you nap through a dog attack unless your on drugs or drunk? I'm pretty sure I would hear an animal attack and my infant screaming.
PrincessButtercup
AG
histag10 said:

Bouncers are great places for babies to nap.

Though you should never let your baby nap somewhere alone with the dog, nor should you leave you infant alone with a dog ever.

sad, sad story. Breaks my heart

Though not relevant to the story at all- here is what an infant bouncer is:

I feel like some people are likely thinking of something else when they hear bouncer. Maybe thinking of a jumper?
Yeah, I think a jumper is likely what I was thinking. Like I said, I've never had a child so I have no idea. I don't at all blame the dad. Said he wasn't under the influence of anything.
PseudonymK
AG
Quote:

Or a walker?
histag10
AG
Maybe. And I could see how that would be a bad idea to let your 2 month old sleep in.
Unemployed
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

I thought this thread is about a bouncer?
Mort Rainey
Ol_Ag_02 said:

You let babies sleep pretty much wherever they decide to close their eyes. The bouncer is not relevant to this story.
If there's one thing you can count on with stories like this, it's some poster telling you what the parent did wrong that they would never have done.
GoneGirl
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

How do you nap through a dog attack unless your on drugs or drunk? I'm pretty sure I would hear an animal attack and my infant screaming.
That was my thought too. They were in the same room?
PrincessButtercup
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

If there's one thing you can count on with stories like this, it's some poster telling you what the parent did wrong that they would never have done.
Both of us said we aren't parents and have no idea what the rules are. I didn't even have a clear idea of what a bouncer was; I envisioned something else...the thing your baby jumps in. I said I don't blame the parent.
Ervin Burrell
AG
In before 8 pages lambasting the father, even though many on here could/would/have easily done the same. Hell, he's probably already been roasted plenty...I didn't bother reading the thread.
gigemJTH12
AG
this is why you buy yorkies or beagles. always buy yorkies or beagles.
AggieHaylea13
AG
I IMMEDIATELY edited saying that I googled what a bouncer was and it looked like a fine place for a baby to sleep. I wasn't calling anyone out on their parenting skills. Everybody wanna take **** and run with it.
PrincessButtercup
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

heck no. I don't want a cat-dog. Ridgebacks or gtfo.
PseudonymK
AG
Roasted? His family has been burned.
gigemJTH12
AG
PrincessButtercup said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Joey is not a cat

CDUB98
AG
I don't even want to think about the anguish he is going through.

Losing my little girl would probably be the end of me.
Geralt of Rivia
CDUB98
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

PrincessButtercup said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Joey is not a cat

Paging Beer Baron. Paging Beer Baron.

We got a new one that has publicly come out.
Lonestar06
I've raised dogs for a long time and have found out you can not trust any dog with a baby based on temperament. I've seen the most friendly dog you can imagine bite. Sad story and I feel terrible for that father.
gigemJTH12
AG
CDUB98 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

PrincessButtercup said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Joey is not a cat

Paging Beer Baron. Paging Beer Baron.

We got a new one that has publicly come out.
hahaha
GMM
Add German Shepherd to the list of breeds I will never own
62strat
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

It is very relevant. A baby sleeping in a crib or pack n play would have not been killed by the dog. Sleeping on a bouncer unattended with a dog in the house is not a safe place, and as this father has learned, carries this risk.

We didn't let our babies (when infant age) sleep in a bouncer or on floor unattended and we just had cats! The cats like to sleep on warm humans, and we didn't want to risk a cat hopping up on infant and sleeping on its face.

Now I don't know the details of where the parent was in relation to dog/child, and why he didn't hear anything, etc, but obviously, it said he was sleeping... For crying out loud, parents, I don't care how gentle or kind-hearted you think your dog is, big dogs can kill a baby very easily, and not viciously or on purpose. Don't leave a baby unattended with a big dog (or any dog or cat really) in the house if it's accessible by the pet.

Parent sleeping or in and out of room = unattended.

When babies nap, parents tend to try and get stuff done, whether it be chores or get a nap in themselves. Put your child in a safe place if you aren't going to remain there in the room with them. It's such a simple habit to get into, and would have prevented this horrible tragedy.

For the pet free homes, let your kid sleep where he lies.

The Collective
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

True, but... I have a pit mix, and I've seen what she can do to a skunks & raccoons. Based on that, my children never get to spend quality alone time with her.
FIDO*98*
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

In before 8 pages lambasting the father, even though many on here could/would/have easily done the same.

I'm sure his guilt and suffering is unimaginable, but, I'd wouldn't leave my infant child in the same room as a full size dog any more than I'd leave a loaded pistol laying around with a toddler.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.