So "healthy foods" are too expensive for SNAP users to buy...

6,090 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LupinusTexensis
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What kinds of healthy foods can you buy for $150 a month?

I say lots of pinto beans, canned peaches, pasta and spaghetti sauce, carrots are cheap, the list goes on....
Beer Baron
AG
...and this has been another Random Old Man Rant, by B-1.
Claude!
B-1 83 said:

I say lots of pinto beans, canned peaches, pasta and spaghetti sauce, carrots are cheap, the list goes on....
Millions of peaches, peaches for me
jamotoe1
I don't know what snap users are but the only thing I'd eat on that list are carrots, and in moderation as they have a decent bit of sugar.
AgEng06
AG
Peaches come from a can
superunknown
AG
Claude! said:

B-1 83 said:

Millions of peaches, peaches for me

Nature's candy in a hand or a pie
FIDO*98*
AG
I think the concept they miss out on is "supplemental". Maybe don't spend the rest of your money on lotto tickets, cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs and that food dollar will stretch a little further
PseudonymK
AG
Everything on a grocery store weekly ad
Combine with coupons
And don't drive a Cadillac to get there
94DallasAG
AG
Kee Kee said:

Combine with coupons
....with 21" and dvd players in all the headrests blaring JayZ while toking the wacky weed and complaining how "the man" is keeping them down
boboguitar
AG
Didn't some celebrity try and survive off of snap money once and lasted a week because they bought dumb **** stuff from the grocery store?
powerbelly
AG
http://goop.com/my-29-food-stamp-challenge-and-the-recipes-brouhaha-that-ensued/
Ags4DaWin
Easy: rice, beans, bananas, apples, oranges, lettuce is dirt cheap, potatoes, carrots, onions, eggs, chicken. Wal-mart rotisserie chickens are 5 bucks and last a family of 4 2-3 days and is WIC approved and comes pre cooked.

Look for meat on sale and freeze right after purchasing. Beef is darn expensive. Stick with pork and chicken and pre frozen fish.

All easy to cook and relatively inexpensive.
Tanya 93
Canned peaches aren't really healthy
AgEng06
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Canned peaches aren't really healthy
/histag
PseudonymK
AG
Why live in a place that has a kitchen; when all you need is a microwave.
BQ_90
AG
Kee Kee said:

Combine with coupons
MouthBQ98
AG
Were they put there by "the man"?
Eliminatus
AG
When I am in school (like now) my go to's are
tuna
potatoes
chicken
peanut butter
rice
store brand bland cereals like corn flakes and bran flakes
assorted fresh veggies like lettuce, carrots, onions, etc.

My food bill is tiny, the majority of the food is healthier than microwaveable trash. It's honestly not hard. Just takes discipline.

I make a lot of stews and soups. Pretty amazing to me still how far you can stretch a food budget with a large pan and crock pot.

Caveat to that is I am a single youngish college kid. I just have to worry about myself.
LupinusTexensis
I lived on a food stamp budget to see if I could for a month. Your life boils down to beans/rice cooked in every imaginable variation, frozen veggies on sale, fruit on sale, peanut butter, bananas, bread. It gets real boring real fast. I could see how one would go crazy and knife a b for some flamin hot Cheetos eventually.
PseudonymK
AG
I've been very blessed.

But if I find a deal with a whole chicken, I will buy it and decide if I'll use my cast iron or crockpot.

P.s. you can't buy hot foods with snap or wic. It's something I learned during trying to help before graduation.
GetThoseKeysMilo
A lot of store-bought spaghetti sauces are loaded with sugar. Combine that with high carb pasta, and you might as well be eating cake for dinner.
Tanya 93
LupinusTexensis said:

I lived on a food stamp budget to see if I could for a month. Your life boils down to beans/rice cooked in every imaginable variation, frozen veggies on sale, fruit on sale, peanut butter, bananas, bread. It gets real boring real fast. I could see how one would go crazy and knife a b for some flamin hot Cheetos eventually.

It is not that hard to have something other than rice and beans or bananas and peanut butter.
PseudonymK
AG
Tomato sauce from Sam's is less than $3. 6 lbs, 6 ounces.

Nothing about a baby. (I have a weird sense of humor)
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Kee Kee said:

Combine with coupons
my family was pretty well off growing up and that is what we did every Sunday. Breaking open the Sunday paper to find coupons was always fun as a kid.
boboguitar
AG
GetThoseKeysMilo said:

A lot of store-bought spaghetti sauces are loaded with sugar. Combine that with high carb pasta, and you might as well be eating cake for dinner.

Yep, I recently started making my own sauces and the difference is night and day. Tastes way better and a lot less calories.
combat wombat™
AG
Quote:

Wal-mart rotisserie chickens are 5 bucks and last a family of 4 2-3 days

A family of four what? You put any growing boys and a dad in there and they can each eat about 1/4 chicken in one sitting.
PseudonymK
AG
A growing girl can demolish that in an instant
FriendlyAg
combat wombat said:

Quote:

A family of four what? You put any growing boys and a dad in there and they can each eat about 1/4 chicken in one sitting.

I'm 25, single guy who works out, I eat a half chicken in a sitting.
marble rye
AG
Tanya started a very informative thread about SNAP user purchases on the Politics board.
FirefightAg
AG
Buy lots of chicken when it's .79 a pound that's the cheapest you'll find meat. Canned or frozen green beans peas sweet potatoes etc can be had cheap as well as white potatoes in 5-10 lb sack on sale. The Kroger we use also sells last minute produce in a red mesh bag for .99 it's a steal (I buy a lot). I cook for 8 guys three meals a day plus staples/coffee/dish soap for $10 PP a day
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
FriendlyAg said:

combat wombat said:

Quote:

I'm 25, single guy who works out, I eat a half chicken in a sitting.

Same here.
PseudonymK
AG
People used to live on a lot less and not complain
FriendlyAg
LupinusTexensis said:

See, the thing is, when you're broke, you don't get to afford things to "spicy it up". Life is boring. That's what incentivizes you to try to move up and out of the boring poor life. If you take that away, then what?
PseudonymK
AG
Then, it's a matter of fact to get off your behind and not be the reason that honest people can't find help.
Tanya 93
You shop the perimeter of the store.

Variety can be had, but it involves actually cooking.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.