Hello World War III - What took you so long.

8,337 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by LupinusTexensis
Aggies Revenge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggies Revenge
AG
Russian Ambassador just got shot up in Turkey.
chipotle
Quote:

Hello World War III

right

wbt5845
AG
chipotle said:

right
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/19/europe/turkey-russian-ambassador-shot/index.html
RVAg02
AG
could be. WWI started from less.

Ok, maybe not less, but pretty similar start.
HBCanine08
AG
http://www.unilad.co.uk/news/breaking-russian-ambassador-to-turkey-assassinated-in-ankara/

Geralt of Rivia
S
Nm
agnerd
AG
Not WW3, but I'd REALLY hate to be in East Aleppo right now. Russians are going to completely level (what's left of) it.
wbt5845
AG
agnerd said:

Not WW3, but I'd REALLY hate to be in East Aleppo right now. Russians are going to completely level (what's left of) it.
But Putin seems such the calm, measured sort.
marble rye
AG
I am sure this has all been overblown. The Muslim community is one of peace! /POTUS
wangus12
AG
Well ****
swc93
AG
Perfect time to kick Turkey out of NATO.
Ragoo
AG
And right before Christmas too. Sad deal.
John Francis Donaghy
RVAg02 said:

could be. WWI started from less.

Ok, maybe not less, but pretty similar start.
WW1 started from the assassination of an heir to the throne of a major European power. Not a member of a bureaucracy serving as an ambassador. Not very similar at all.
toucan82
do I need to stock up on bottled water and canned goods?
titanmaster_race
He said similar. Not identical.

In both cases someone was assassinated who belonged to a vast and powerful nation/empire.
Ghost91
HBCanine08 said:

http://www.unilad.co.uk/news/breaking-russian-ambassador-to-turkey-assassinated-in-ankara/

Why did Ryan from 'The Office' kill the Russian ambassador to Turkey??
Ragoo
AG
toucan82 said:

do I need to stock up on bottled water and canned goods?
honey baked ham will be in high demand. Could probably flip 1000 pounds for huge profits.
marble rye
AG
AliasMan02
AG
Gdit
John Francis Donaghy
titanmaster_race said:

In both cases someone was assassinated who belonged to a vast and powerful nation/empire.
But in that case it was a member of a royal family and a direct heir to the throne, and in this one it was a mid-level bureaucrat. If Dmitry Medvedev had been assassinated, I'd see some similarities. A bureaucrat? Not so much.
Talon2DSO
AG
Pam Poovey said:

And score one for poovey
swc93
AG
The video looks so staged. I bet poor Andrey Karlov will be spending the rest of his days under house arrest in some fancy hotel in Moscow.
Ag with kids
AG

Here's a stock photo of the ambassador.
toucan82
You should have a show on cnbc
Dad-O-Lot
AG
WWIII started in 1979.

Muslim extremists against the rest of the world.
DCJAG
Is this like when Ambassador Stevens was killed in Benhgazi and nothing happened?
Claude!
This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
UncleStephry
Claude! said:

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
While we conduct Mishile Drillsh
John Francis Donaghy
DCJAG said:

Is this like when Ambassador Stevens was killed in Benhgazi and nothing happened?
Yes, much more similar, along with John Mein, Cleo Noel, Roger Davies, Francis Meloy, Adolph Dubs, and a number of other US diplomatic officials that have been killed overseas in relatively recent history.

Sending diplomats to unstable parts of the world is an inherently risky proposition. Sometime they get killed. It's a risk of the job.
Tom Hagen
AG
DCJAG said:

Is this like when Ambassador Stevens was killed in Benhgazi and nothing happened.
One of these is not like the other.

RVAg02
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

titanmaster_race said:

But in that case it was a member of a royal family and a direct heir to the throne, and in this one it was a mid-level bureaucrat. If Dmitry Medvedev had been assassinated, I'd see some similarities. A bureaucrat? Not so much.
I was probably more focused on who the other players are and their intentions. The Austro-Hungarians weren't what made it become a World War, but rather Germany's Imperialistic intentions. Ferdinand's assassination would have slid by if Kaiser Wilhelm wanted it too. He used it as a kickstarter. Or at least that's how I understood it.

RVAg02
AG

DCJAG said:

Yes, much more similar, along with John Mein, Cleo Noel, Roger Davies, Francis Meloy, Adolph Dubs, and a number of other US diplomatic officials that have been killed overseas in relatively recent history.

Sending diplomats to unstable parts of the world is an inherently risky proposition. Sometime they get killed. It's a risk of the job.
See my post above. The US and early 20th century Germany are not the same.

But I do get your point. It ain't like someone important got offed.
John Francis Donaghy
RVAg02 said:

titanmaster_race said:

I was probably more focused on who the other players are and their intentions. The Austro-Hungarians weren't what made it become a World War, but rather Germany's Imperialistic intentions. Ferdinand's assassination would have slid by if Kaiser Wilhelm wanted it too. He used it as a kickstarter. Or at least that's how I understood it.
Germany wasn't really after any land grab at the outset of WW1, that was more of a WW2 thing.

Leading up to the outset of WW1, Austria-Hungary and Serbia were competing for control of the Balkans, particularly Bosnia and Herzegovina. Austria Hungary annexed Bosnia against Serbia's wishes, and Serbian operatives assassinated Archduke Ferdinand. In response, Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, Russia, as an ally of Serbia, Declared war on Austria Hungary. Germany tried to convince Russia to stand down, but Russia declared war on Germany in recognition of Germany's alliance with Austria-Hungary (which Germany had recently prioritized over their now lapsed alliance with Russia), and Germany declared war on Russia out of necessity to defend themselves in the midst of the outbreak of military mobilizations going on all around them.

That is the general gist of the "powder keg" of military alliances in that part of the world that existed at the time of the assassination. Everyone in the region was bound by alliance to enter conflict on behalf of someone else, so the whole thing escalated really quickly.
RVAg02
AG

RVAg02 said:

titanmaster_race said:

Germany wasn't really after any land grab at the outset of WW1, that was more of a WW2 thing.

Leading up to the outset of WW1, Austria-Hungary and Serbia were competing for control of the Balkans, particularly Bosnia and Herzegovina. Austria Hungary annexed Bosnia against Serbia's wishes, and Serbian operatives assassinated Archduke Ferdinand. In response, Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, Russia, as an ally of Serbia, Declared war on Austria Hungary. Germany tried to convince Russia to stand down, but Russia declared war on Germany in recognition of Germany's alliance with Austria-Hungary (which Germany had recently prioritized over their now lapsed alliance with Russia), and Germany declared war on Russia out of necessity to defend themselves in the midst of the outbreak of military mobilizations going on all around them.

That is the general gist of the "powder keg" of military alliances in that part of the world that existed at the time of the assassination. Everyone in the region was bound by alliance to enter conflict on behalf of someone else, so the whole thing escalated really quickly.
Thanks
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.