Climate change/global warming

6,118 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by P.C. Principal
FOUR THIN INCHES
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you believe climate change/global warming is happening? Do you believe it is caused by man? Do you think it could lead to the destruction of humanity within the next hundred, few hundred, or thousand years? Longer? Is it just a natural cycle of the Earth we can't control and shouldn't worry about too much?
Malachi Constant
AG
First page baby!
The Wonderer
AG
Yes, it's occurring.
No, it's not solely due to man.
The Earth has heating and cooling cycles.
Tatem
too many words
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Tatem said:

too many words

Don't worry about it, this thread is for smart people to discuss important things.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I remember a few years back when it snowed in CS, a friend of mine made a Facebook post "look at all of the global warming! it's falling from the sky!"

That led to my sister going off on him in multiple paragraphs. He texted me 30 minutes to an hour later asking what was wrong with her.

Good times
PrincessButtercup
AG
John Francis Donaghy
The Wonderer said:

Yes, it's occurring.

This. And I will add in response to the bit about the destruction of humanity, that the entire existence of humanity is a blink of an eye when examined within the context the Earth's natural timescale. When nature decides to end humanity, it will, and there will not be anything we can do to stop it.

Our almost incomprehensively brief window of survivability will close at some point due to natural causes, assuming, of course, that we don't destroy ourselves before that time comes.
FIDO*98*
AG
Do believe climate change/global warming is happening?

Yes, Since the beginning of time

Do you believe it is caused by man?

Yes, at some small relatively insignificant level

Do you think it could lead to the destruction of humanity within the next hundred, few hundred, or thousand years? Longer?

No, lol

Is it just a natural cycle of the Earth we can't control and shouldn't worry about too much?

Pretty much
Talon2DSO
AG
Yes it is happening

No, man did not cause it. The world goes through these cycles. We are but one tiny insignificant speck on the earth's timeline. It's quite narcissistic to believe that we are so powerfully destructive as to destroy a world that has survived platechtonics, massive asteroids, disastrous volcanic eruptions, etc.
toucan82
Wade Winston Wilson said:

I remember a few years back when it snowed in CS, a friend of mine made a Facebook post "look at all of the global warming! it's falling from the sky!"

That led to my sister going off on him in multiple paragraphs. He texted me 30 minutes to an hour later asking what was wrong with her.

Good times

Interesting. You have a sister
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
whatever those dumb scientists with Phds think I think the opposite because they are liberals
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
What do you think?
Tatem
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
well, I saw this documentary on vice that said we were all screwed and it seemed pretty sciencey
Bondag
AG
I read once that cows farting causes global warning. I am doing my part to stop global warming by eating as many cows as I can.
Ag_EE
AG
runnrboy
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

The Wonderer said:

Yes, it's occurring.

This. And I will add in response to the bit about the destruction of humanity, that the entire existence of humanity is a blink of an eye when examined within the context the Earth's natural timescale. When nature decides to end humanity, it will, and there will not be anything we can do to stop it.

Our almost incomprehensively brief window of survivability will close at some point due to natural causes, assuming, of course, that we don't destroy ourselves before that time comes.
Earth's history laid out on a football field -
GrayMatter
AG
it would be foolish to underestimate the footprint that man has created in its history

you cannot ignore that we have climbed to the top of the food chain for selfish reasons and taking advantage of earth's resources will lead to our own demise
MaterialAg
AG

Do you believe climate change/global warming is happening? yep

Do you believe it is caused by man? raw data, and huge amounts of it, suggest otherwise

Do you think it could lead to the destruction of humanity within the next hundred, few hundred, or thousand years? Longer? I don't think man will wait for climate to kill himself

Is it just a natural cycle of the Earth we can't control and shouldn't worry about too much? we can't control it, we should remain properly informed to adapt to it as we always have
John Francis Donaghy
AggieBaller98 said:

it would be foolish to underestimate the footprint that man has created in its history

you cannot ignore that we have climbed to the top of the food chain for selfish reasons and taking advantage of earth's resources will lead to our own demise

Vague warnings without any underlying support.
Odd inclusions of totally unrelated issues.
Addressing a scientific question with moral value judgements.

All phrased in such a way as to suggest that the writer's position is undeniable in a feeble attempt to preemptively discourage any sort of disagreement or challenge.

Smells like liberal arts major in here.
malenurse
AG
Bondag said:

I read once that cows farting causes global warning. I am doing my part to stop global warming by eating as many cows as I can.
http://nypost.com/2016/09/21/it-will-soon-be-illegal-for-cows-to-fart-in-california/
histag10
AG

Do you believe climate change/global warming is happening?

Yes

Do you believe it is caused by man?

I think it is caused by a lot of things, and yes, man contributes. Man is not soley responsible for it, nor is man even a HUGE factor in it.

Do you think it could lead to the destruction of humanity within the next hundred, few hundred, or thousand years?

Maybe, but it is more likely that an alien life force will come obliterate us long before then. Or we will just destroy ourselves.

Is it just a natural cycle of the Earth we can't control and shouldn't worry about too much?

Yes. The earth has gone through it before, and it will go through it again. It may be happening quicker and with more frequency than it did in the past, but oh well.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

AggieBaller98 said:

Vague warnings without any underlying support.
Odd inclusions of totally unrelated issues.
Addressing a scientific question with moral value judgements.

All phrased in such a way as to suggest that the writer's position is undeniable in a feeble attempt to preemptively discourage any sort of disagreement or challenge.

Smells like liberal arts major in here.
lol

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
Hotard06
AG

Humans will destroy the earth via overpopulation and consumption of resources far before the climate will change enough to have any meaningful impact on the human race.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Don't forget to donate money to some fraud charity to help offset your carbon footprint... Because cash offsets your carbon footprint.

Also, the largest producer of CO2 in the world is..........plant life. So lets get back to blaming mother nature for killing herself. Dumb *****...
The Wonderer
AG
ColinAggie said:

Don't forget to donate money to some fraud charity to help offset your carbon footprint... Because cash offsets your carbon footprint.

Also, the largest producer of CO2 in the world is..........plant life. So lets get back to blaming mother nature for killing herself. Dumb *****...
Don't plants take in CO2 and release O2??

Or are you talking about decomposition?
Ragoo
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

Good times
what was the answer?
IrishTxAggie
AG
The Wonderer said:

ColinAggie said:

Don't plants take in CO2 and release O2??

Or are you talking about decomposition?
Yes, decomp. Technically the ocean is number one, but I generally don't count the ocean because it's not living.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
When talking about CO2, the amount released and its effect on the environment, why would it matter if its source is living or not?
Geralt of Rivia
S
I think I just told him that she voted for Obama. He seemed to understand
IrishTxAggie
AG
FOUR THIN INCHES said:

When talking about CO2, the amount released and its effect on the environment, why would it matter if its source is living or not?
Because of the media's narrative that human's are the biggest cause of CO2 emissions. Just a preference.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
So you don't count CO2 emissions from the ocean because it's not living because the media narrative is that global warming is man-made? Uh, I don't really follow that logic...
Bruce Almighty
AG
Man can't change the climate. At most, we may be speeding things up a bit, but whatever is happening is going to happen anyways.
Human
AG
Maybe we'll have to move to outer space - where everyone on the GB knows is

Gay
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.