Thrifty food meals

5,269 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PseudonymK
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In a single pot--a head of cabbage, some carrots, a couple cans of pinto beans, collard greens, brown rice, and a package of the cheapest "smoke sausage" at Wal-Mart. Low boil for 45 minutes to an hours. You can eat that for about a week, repeat 3 out of 4 weeks per month for 2 years.
who?mikejones
AG
BackwardsInBoots said:

Ragoo said:

Tree Hugger said:

Wow, you habe a couple of kids and now you cant afford food?

We need to start a gofundme
weve been through like 200 diapers in the last 10 days. F me.

Get cloth diapers. Then maybe you'll be able to afford to eat.

And if you get cloth diapers, install a hose sprayer on your toilet line. Makes cleaning the poop easier.
EFE
AG
ursusguy said:

In a single pot--a head of cabbage, some carrots, a couple cans of pinto beans, collard greens, brown rice, and a package of the cheapest "smoke sausage" at Wal-Mart. Low boil for 45 minutes to an hours. You can eat that for about a week, repeat 3 out of 4 weeks per month for 2 years.

And fart like a pack mule
ursusguy
AG
Alternative energy.

That combo got me through grad school for <$80/month for food.
EFE
AG
Nothing wrong with cabbage for dinner, I may make some now that's cooler just to fluff the covers.
Tomdoss92
AG
Ragoo
AG
ursusguy said:

2 cans navy beans, 1 large can diced tomatoes, 2 large chopped carrots, 1 white onion chopped, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, water and chicken broth. Chicken breasts baking to be shared and added. A bag of spinach going in when almost done.
Wildman15
AG
Ragoo said:

Tree Hugger said:

Wow, you habe a couple of kids and now you cant afford food?

We need to start a gofundme
weve been through like 200 diapers in the last 10 days. F me.
isn't that what got you here in the first place?
pikedawg

Just a little bit will curb your appetite and save you bucks if you can get it at a wholesale price.
BlueAg2003
AG
Crock pot chicken tacos:

1lb chicken breasts
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 can of chicken broth
1/2 jar of salsa

Let simmer on low for 8 hrs. Shred chicken with a fork. Serve on tortillas with whatever toppings you choose. They're insanely good.
testosterbone
AG
Made these today and they came out great. Thanks for the recipe.
Tanya 93
Make a big pot of black beans.

Use for black bean soup, black beans and rice, black bean tacos, and nachos.
Tanya 93
As for cloth diapers, if poop really worries you, you can buy paper liners that can be flushed. Much cheaper than disposable diapers.

But honestly, cloth diapers are no big deal and no grosser than disposable. And they are much cuter.
CaddoAggie96
AG
I made shrimp and sausage gumbo today but that's not exactly thrifty.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I make a pot of charro beans every weekend and eat it throughout the week. Makes great burrito bowls for lunch.
Tanya 93
I made a kick ass black bean soup today and roasted a chicken. 2 meals plus the carcass for stock.
superunknown
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

ursusguy said:

And fart like a pack mule

I had to crack a window open just after reading that.
Ragoo
AG
Tanya 93 said:

As for cloth diapers, if poop really worries you, you can buy paper liners that can be flushed. Much cheaper than disposable diapers.

But honestly, cloth diapers are no big deal and no grosser than disposable. And they are much cuter.
has nothing to do with poop grossness. Disposable save a lot of time versus cloth.
PseudonymK
AG
Get on amazon and buy deli containers, meal prep, 6 qt crockpot, and crock pot casserole or 1/2 sized steam pans.

Ground beef- burgers, tacos, enchiladas, chili, meatballs,
Stew meat- well, duh- stew, stroganoff, bbq & potatoes, fajitas,
Chicken- roasted drumsticks and thighs, breasts- italian, spicy, savory; wings how you like
Pork chops- fried, smothered, baked

carrots (honey glazed), green beans,corn, potatoes, spinach or collard greens, broccoli, caulflower and bell peppers

Slovacek's is just up the highway & Rosethal is on campus

Mybest tip- what do you order when you go to a restaurant or delivery? Get the recipe or ingredient list online and win.
PseudonymK
AG
Oh, and use coupons and Target cartwheel. Use sales to get everyday stuff, and use the gift cards (like buy this shampoo and conditioner for a $5 giftcard) and a sale for diapers.

They usually have coupons for Pampers and Huggies on coupons.com at least wipes.
PseudonymK
AG
Go to the meat & cheese person for lunch meat. I'll ask for 7 slices of turkey on 2 for a week of sandwiches. or 2 lbs of seafood
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.