What does the GB think of this Michelle Carter case?

3,310 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lethalninja
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Massachusetts' highest court has ruled that a teenage girl must stand trial on a manslaughter charge for encouraging her boyfriend to kill himself by sending him dozens of text messages and telling him to "get back in" a truck filled with carbon monoxide fumes.

The Supreme Judicial Court ruled Friday, July 1st that a grand jury had probable cause to indict Michelle Carter in the 2014 death of 18-year-old Conrad Roy III.

quote:
"From at least July 6th through July 12th, 2014, Carter assisted Conrad's suicide by counseling him to overcome his doubts, devising a plan to run a combustion engine within his truck in order to poison him with carbon monoxide, and by directing him to go back in his truck after he exited it, when he became frightened the plan was working."

Prosecutors maintain that Carter sent messages to Roy that said: "You just have to do it," "Tonight is the night," and "It's painless and quick."

According to the indictment, when Roy expressed hesitancy at going through with the suicide, she sent him more messages expressing her frustration: "You always say you're gonna do it, but you never do. I just want to make sure tonight is the real thing."

quote:
The indictment shows Carter told her friend:

"I told him to get back in because I knew he would do it all over again the next day, and I couldn't have him live that way the way he was living anymore. I couldn't do it. I wouldn't let him. Therapy didn't help him and I wanted him to go to McLeans with me when I went but he would go in the other department for his issues, but he didn't want to go because he said nothing they would do or say would help him or change the way he feels. So I like, started giving up because nothing I did was helping and but I should have tried harder. Like, I should have did more. It's all my fault because I could have stopped him but I (expletive) didn't. All I had to say was I love you and don't do this one more time, and he'd still be here."

http://fox6now.com/2016/07/04/massachusetts-highest-court-rules-girl-accused-of-texting-boyfriend-urging-suicide-must-stand-trial/
chipotle
Lets see. How many times have I told people here to diafotwh?
Picard
AG
Too bad her last name isn't Clinton

riverrataggie
AG
Eh, I won't pretend to know the facts from a news article but there were instances where someone was being overly dramatic and a natural response was, 'you won't' or 'make sure to do a trick'.

If I was on the jury I'd have a hard time convicting her.
Fonzie Scheme
AG

Fivehead and fat bomb. Her opinion is irrelevant.
Amazing Moves
Young stupidity in a serious situation.
lethalninja
She was sentenced on August 3, 2017 to five years probation, fifteen months in jail (the jail time was part of her probation, and she served almost eleven-and-a-half months with good behavior), mental health counseling, no contact with Conrad Roy's family, no profiting from the case while on probation, fifteen months hanging over her head if her probation is revoked, and she has a felony conviction for involuntary manslaughter. She gets off probation on August 1st.
lethalninja
The Massachusetts Supreme Court affirmed her conviction (she pled not guilty and was convicted at a bench trial) and the United States Supreme Court declined to hear her appeal.
lethalninja
What are your thoughts on her conviction and sentence?
hbc07
AG
lethalninja said:

She was sentenced on August 3, 2017 to five years probation, fifteen months in jail (the jail time was part of her probation, and she served almost eleven-and-a-half months with good behavior), mental health counseling, no contact with Conrad Roy's family, no profiting from the case while on probation, fifteen months hanging over her head if her probation is revoked, and she has a felony conviction for involuntary manslaughter. She gets off probation on August 1st.
Ok.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
lethalninja
The reason I posted is because she's getting off probation soon and nobody else in the thread posted about her sentence.
Anchorhold
ninja babe >>>> lethalninja
Not a Bot
AG
She knew he was in emotional distress and actively encouraged him to kill himself. I think she had her own mental health issues which combined with the irrational and emotional decision making typical of teenage girls.

I think the charge and sentence were fair under the circumstances.
FIDO*98*
AG
lethalninja said:

Should have tossed her in a Tiger pen with a cyanide pill and a bottle of water.
maroon barchetta
FIDO*98* said:

lethalninja said:

Should have tossed her in a Tiger pen with a cyanide pill and a bottle of water.

But the poor tiger might have died after he ate her after she ate the cyanide pill.
lethalninja
Has anyone seen the Hulu or HBO shows about the case?
lethalninja
Exactly a month until she gets off probation and can profit from the case.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.