Lori Baker 9/30/94

11,661 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MB19
Driver8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a day goes by that I don’t think about the events that occurred that fateful September night eight years ago. Lori was one of those people that just drew others to her. I grew up with her and her brother Mark. She was intelligent, thoughtful, and had a great sense of humor. With a model-like appearance, she was very popular with the guys- I caught myself flirting with her more than once. Very attractive, yet she had a certain independence about her that you had to admire.

I remember that night like it was yesterday. Mark and I lived in a house next door to Lori behind sorority row on a new street called Bayou Woods. The two homes had been built by their parents specifically so that Mark and Lori could live next door to each other. It was about 11pm and we went over to her house to use her computer. Her boyfriend was there and they appeared to be in a deep discussion when we got there, so we thought we’d make our visit short. We finished up and as we left I glanced at Lori and noticed a somewhat troubled look on her face. I never knew why. Mark and I went back to our house and studied for a couple hours.

At about 1am we opened the garage and started working out as was the custom at that late hour. We noticed an old white 4 door sedan parked directly across the street from our house. It seemed odd because at that time, there were no homes on that side of the street. It was also suspicious because the driver’s door was left slightly ajar, as if the driver did not want anyone to know he was there. We were about finished when I received a call from my friend James. His girlfriend lived nearby and he was worried because she wasn’t answering her phone. I told him we would go check on her.
Still skeptical of the strange car we shined our headlights into the windows, but saw nothing. We went over to James' girlfriend's apartment but no one was home. After that, we decided to go to McDonald’s for a late snack. We returned home and at about 2am I went to bed. Mark stayed up to wait for the Houston Chronicle to arrive.

I was almost asleep when I heard an explosion outside my window. I dismissed it at first, but then Mark came to my door yelling. We grabbed my baseball bat and ran out the front door. It was a disturbing scene. A large cloud of smoke was rising above Lori’s house. The garage door was bent out because of the heat of the fire inside. The orange flames lit up the street and driveway. I grabbed the phone and called 911. Mark took the bat and started banging on Lori’s window hoping she wasn’t inside. As I was talking with the 911 dispatcher, all of a sudden, Mark comes racing past me yelling, “Get inside!” He said, “There’s a guy with a gun in the backyard.” Overcome with fear, we locked the doors and headed to the most central part of the house, away from the windows. We just knew he would come in after us. But he never did.

The police, firemen, and ambulance came in about 5 minutes, sirens blaring. We watched them go in and out of Lori’s house. We repeatedly asked, “Is there anyone in there?” to everyone we could find. They avoided answering. Finally, we got one officer to admit what he knew. Those words are etched in my memory forever. He said, “To be honest with you, yes there is a woman in there. And she’s gone.” We were frozen. It was too much to take.

Ron Shamburger turned himself in later that night to police with the help of his preacher. We all testified at the trial and he was sentenced to death (this Wednesday). He never showed any remorse. I was told his first words to his parents after the murder were, “Did we beat Tech?” The Ags had played them that weekend.

Mark’s parents lived in London so it took a couple days before they could make it to College Station. I have known them for a long time and they truly are great, caring people. I remember them pulling up to our house as they arrived from the airport. It was the saddest scene anyone could ever imagine. There is no pain greater than losing your own child.

We moved. That was my senior year so I graduated the next semester. One thing that really touched me was the way the Aggie family treated Mark, his family, and me. From students and professors to administrators and department heads, the outpouring of support and thoughtfulness was overwhelming. Although it was a horribly sad and troubling time, I could not have been at a better place surrounded by any better people. It made me proud to be an Aggie.

What the events of that night taught me is that each of our lives hangs on by only a thread. And that it all can be taken away from us at any time for no particular reason. You often hear people say live everyday to its fullest, because it could be your last. I try to do that each day, and when I do, I think of Lori.

bikerack
AG
Here.
ThisChickLovesTacoCabana
here...

and a big hug.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Here.
Tag77
So sad and thank you for sharing with us a touching memory.
Christi '97
Here.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Here.
kjaneway
AG
Here
Bracy
Here

Bracy
AggieMBP
If you have any last words you'd like him to hear, let me know. I will be there when he's executed.

And no, I'm not making this up.
Tabasco
AG
Warning- Link not for the faint at heart.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/deathrow/drowlist/shamburg.jpg
Professor
Here - for Lori, her family and for you.
ENG
AG
here
Ditta
here
TAT2DAG
AG
Here.

I was here at school when it happened and I was sickened.

Dr. Rosenrosen
unbelieveable....i can not imagine going through that. Reading the story behind the murder makes me cringe. Deep prayers for both families.

here
Sully
AG
Here.

Brings back memories...Victoria and my wife were sorority sisters and my wife was living in the XO house at the time and remembers being awoken by the "boom" and all of the commotion afterwards.

We will keep all of you in our prayers.
Disco Stu
AG
Here.
NewJerseyAgs
here
3rd Generation Ag
AG
ttt

The day has come.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I hope that there was no delay in this justice.
Christi '97
3GA -

http://www.khou.com/news/local/091802dntexexecute.8a7.html

HUNTSVILLE – A former Texas A&M student was executed Wednesday for gunning down another Aggie during a burglary at her home eight years ago.

Ron Shamburger confessed to the fatal shooting of Lori Baker, 20, within hours of the attack, which climaxed a series of burglaries he'd been committing in College Station, many of them at homes he'd broken into numerous times.

Shamburger sang an old religious hymn and uttered several quotes from the Bible as the lethal drugs were administered.

Then he looked at the victim's family and said, "I am really sorry for the pain and sorrow I caused you. I really do not know what to say, but I am sorry ... forgive me."

He was pronounced dead at 6:17 p.m. CDT, six minutes after receiving the injection lethal drugs.

Evidence showed Shamburger used a credit card stolen from Baker's home a few days before the fatal attack to buy the murder weapon, a 9 mm pistol.

Shamburger's lawyers went to the U.S. Supreme Court to try to halt the punishment, but the court denied his petition and application for stay of execution. Similar efforts failed Tuesday in the state courts.

Shamburger, from Longview, was a 22-year-old fifth-year senior nearing a degree in biomedical science when authorities say he became obsessed with burglaries in which he stole credit cards and cash.

On the night of Sept. 30, 1994, he broke into the home of Baker as the Aggie junior slept. She awoke, was bound with duct tape, then was fatally shot in the head.

"How do you explain it?" said Bill Turner, the Brazos County district attorney who prosecuted Shamburger. "It's real frightening.

"He does look like the boy next door. He does look like the guy you might trust, but there was more to him than that."

"I don't know why you do the things you do," Shamburger said recently from death row. "One thing leads to another... You lose touch with reality. You've chosen to do things that are wrong.

"There was an adrenaline rush to it – the satisfaction of not being caught."

Baker's roommate, 20-year-old Victoria Kohler, returning home, heard noises from Baker's room and walked in that direction when she was confronted by Shamburger. He abducted Kohler and stuffed her in the trunk of her car, driving her around town before leaving her in the vehicle not far from home.

Then he returned to the murder scene, retrieved a can of gasoline from his own car parked outside, cut some of Baker's hair from around her fatal head injury and used a knife to poke at the wound in an unsuccessful search for the bullet. He poured gasoline in the room and over her body and set it ablaze only to discover the keys to his car were inside the burning room.

They had fallen from his shirt pocket.

Baker's brother, who lived next door, heard the explosion and tried to break windows to get his sister out. Shamburger was in the back yard by then, walking in circles, holding his pistol and repeating: "She's dead."

Kohler in the meantime had climbed from the trunk of her car, went to a nearby house and had the people there call 911.

Shamburger fled, called a friend, a minister at his church, met him and told him about the killing. They both went to the police station where Shamburger turned himself in to authorities.

"In this case, he breaks in with tape, a gun, gasoline," Turner said, explaining why he went for the death penalty although Shamburger had no previous record. "The premeditation, as well as escalation, I thought showed there was no question in my mind he'd be an extreme danger if we hadn't caught him."

Shamburger, who had been working in a supermarket, said he used the loot from his burglaries for movies, food and clothing.

While taking responsibility for the slaying – "I can't say I'm here for something I didn't do" – he said he hoped his victim's family could forgive him.

"I think we already have," Faye Baker, the victim's mother, said Tuesday. "We are strong Christians. I believe for my own salvation that I need to forgive him... We don't harbor resentment. It's an absolute miracle that we don't."

That doesn't, however, diminish the pain of losing her daughter.

"He took the most precious thing in the world away from us and really destroyed our lives," she said. "But we don't think about him."

Shamburger, 30, was the 26th Texas inmate executed this year and the second in as many days. Convicted killer Jessie Joe Patrick received lethal injection Tuesday for the 1989 slaying of an 80-year-old Dallas woman.
Christi '97
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/statistics/deathrow/drowlist/coble.jpg

killed my friend's grandparents and her uncle at the beginning of our freshman in HS. He's still on death row, 13 years later.
Mr NP
here.
94vette
I remember that day, as well. I was at lacrosse practice when I heard the news on the radio. I had known Lori and Victoria for many years as we grew up together in Kingwood and Lori dated my best friend all throughout high school. We had lost touch when we got to A&M, but that didn't make any difference when I heard about what had happended.

As a new parent myself now, I cannot imagine the loss of my child. And I am not sorry to admit that I am very happy that Shamburger was executed -- justice was served!! I pray that the Bakers and everyone else touched by these events can find the courage and strength to go on in their lives.
texsn95
AG
Here.

Just read about this when someone mentioned Shamburger in another thread. How awful, thoughts and prayers.
wheelz
AG
It shouldn't take so long to execute the guilty.
Co-Host - Able Outdoors
aeon-ag
Driver8 said:

Not a day goes by that I don't think about the events that occurred that fateful September night eight years ago. Lori was one of those people that just drew others to her. I grew up with her and her brother Mark. She was intelligent, thoughtful, and had a great sense of humor. With a model-like appearance, she was very popular with the guys- I caught myself flirting with her more than once. Very attractive, yet she had a certain independence about her that you had to admire.

I remember that night like it was yesterday. Mark and I lived in a house next door to Lori behind sorority row on a new street called Bayou Woods. The two homes had been built by their parents specifically so that Mark and Lori could live next door to each other. It was about 11pm and we went over to her house to use her computer. Her boyfriend was there and they appeared to be in a deep discussion when we got there, so we thought we'd make our visit short. We finished up and as we left I glanced at Lori and noticed a somewhat troubled look on her face. I never knew why. Mark and I went back to our house and studied for a couple hours.

At about 1am we opened the garage and started working out as was the custom at that late hour. We noticed an old white 4 door sedan parked directly across the street from our house. It seemed odd because at that time, there were no homes on that side of the street. It was also suspicious because the driver's door was left slightly ajar, as if the driver did not want anyone to know he was there. We were about finished when I received a call from my friend James. His girlfriend lived nearby and he was worried because she wasn't answering her phone. I told him we would go check on her.
Still skeptical of the strange car we shined our headlights into the windows, but saw nothing. We went over to James' girlfriend's apartment but no one was home. After that, we decided to go to McDonald's for a late snack. We returned home and at about 2am I went to bed. Mark stayed up to wait for the Houston Chronicle to arrive.

I was almost asleep when I heard an explosion outside my window. I dismissed it at first, but then Mark came to my door yelling. We grabbed my baseball bat and ran out the front door. It was a disturbing scene. A large cloud of smoke was rising above Lori's house. The garage door was bent out because of the heat of the fire inside. The orange flames lit up the street and driveway. I grabbed the phone and called 911. Mark took the bat and started banging on Lori's window hoping she wasn't inside. As I was talking with the 911 dispatcher, all of a sudden, Mark comes racing past me yelling, "Get inside!" He said, "There's a guy with a gun in the backyard." Overcome with fear, we locked the doors and headed to the most central part of the house, away from the windows. We just knew he would come in after us. But he never did.

The police, firemen, and ambulance came in about 5 minutes, sirens blaring. We watched them go in and out of Lori's house. We repeatedly asked, "Is there anyone in there?" to everyone we could find. They avoided answering. Finally, we got one officer to admit what he knew. Those words are etched in my memory forever. He said, "To be honest with you, yes there is a woman in there. And she's gone." We were frozen. It was too much to take.

Ron Shamburger turned himself in later that night to police with the help of his preacher. We all testified at the trial and he was sentenced to death (this Wednesday). He never showed any remorse. I was told his first words to his parents after the murder were, "Did we beat Tech?" The Ags had played them that weekend.

Mark's parents lived in London so it took a couple days before they could make it to College Station. I have known them for a long time and they truly are great, caring people. I remember them pulling up to our house as they arrived from the airport. It was the saddest scene anyone could ever imagine. There is no pain greater than losing your own child.

We moved. That was my senior year so I graduated the next semester. One thing that really touched me was the way the Aggie family treated Mark, his family, and me. From students and professors to administrators and department heads, the outpouring of support and thoughtfulness was overwhelming. Although it was a horribly sad and troubling time, I could not have been at a better place surrounded by any better people. It made me proud to be an Aggie.

What the events of that night taught me is that each of our lives hangs on by only a thread. And that it all can be taken away from us at any time for no particular reason. You often hear people say live everyday to its fullest, because it could be your last. I try to do that each day, and when I do, I think of Lori.

a friend of was a cop and the first on the scene. To this day he will not talk abouit it.
rwtxag83
AG
Hadn't thought about this in a long time. What a tragedy for the families.

Hard to fathom how somebody can go so far down the rabbit hole mentally to do this kind of crime.
Greater love hath no man than this....
The Fife
wheelz said:

It looks like it took about 8 years, I thought that was pretty quick given all the appeals and whatnot these kind of sentences go through.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Shamburger was in my Spanish 102 class the semester that he committed the murder. Class met M-Th from 4:10-5:25 at Bolton, so none of us saw him the Friday that it happened.

Even 27 years later I vividly remember going to that class on the following Monday and everyone being in total shock. He had sat right in the front of the class every time and nobody would sit there. Eventually the prof moved the desk he had used into another room, I think we were all staring at it half the time.

A great friend of mine from my time at A&M went to high school with Lori Baker and described her as the kindest girl at school, no bad words for anybody ever. It pains me to know that psycho got to live another 8 years after killing her. I'd prefer a legal system where the minute the judge rules you guilty for muder, they take you outside and put a bullet in your brain.

RIP
MB19
AG
The Fife said:

wheelz said:

It looks like it took about 8 years, I thought that was pretty quick given all the appeals and whatnot these kind of sentences go through.
Correct. Shamburger was executed in 2002.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.