Is there any market for pecan wood?

15,235 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by kylewhitener
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a massive pecan tree in my backyard. The trunk is 7-8 feet around, and it has four large branches splitting off from the trunk. It's probably 40 or so feet tall.

When we build the addition to our house the tree will have to come down. It will probably cost a couple thousand dollars to take down, but I was curious if there is a market for pecan wood of that volume. I'm hoping to offset the cost by selling all or some of it to someone who could use it for smoking meat or some other use.

Is there a market for that, and how much might I expect to see from that volume?

tia.
hbc07
AG
i've got some wood.
Whitesnake
You said "smoking meat."
PastrySquirrel
T&P for the tree
Codeno
AG
I would advise taking this to the outdoor board. Unless you enjoy reading unrelated answers.
Pro Sandy
AG
People do use pecan wood for smoking. You could perhaps put an ad in the paper and have people come haul it off for you.
SWCBonfire
AG
If you are in South/central Texas (SA area), there is a charcoal plant in Pleasanton I believe.

Most of the operators who sell wood there bring it by the semi-load.

I would also remind you: 99% of the time, if you have a large native pecan tree in your yard, your house will eventually flood. Get flood insurance, I don't care if they say you aren't in the "100 year" floodplain.
Ryan the Temp
AG
My house is pier & beam, and my lot sheet flows to the driveway. I'm on it.
Vero143
I bet you could find someone on the Outdoor or Houston board to come take it down and haul it away for you. We did this for the hurricane and worked like a charm in taking down a few of our trees.
Tree Hugger
Post removed:
by user
Ryan the Temp
AG
I would definitely prefer not to take down the tree, but it's right in the middle of where I will need to build.
Post removed:
by user
Norseman912
TH and Lauren, think of it like this... One tree, there are quite a bit more. In fact, trees cover 1/3 of the land on the earth. We can make another one bite the dust for the sake of expanding a house.
Stoney
S
Taking down a mature pecan tree is a sad thing.
Post removed:
by user
wapa
This is very sad. I wish the tree didn't have to go.

quote:
I would also remind you: 99% of the time, if you have a large native pecan tree in your yard, your house will eventually flood. Get flood insurance, I don't care if they say you aren't in the "100 year" floodplain.

I would agree with this as well although some people can't tell the difference between a Native and papershell. Pecan trees are Native to well drained river bottoms and therefore, areas that flood.

You won't get much of a market for that wood unless you went through a buyer or you put a lot of work into it. People use it to cook but generally don't need in that large of quantities. A lot of people I know just end up telling me that they can take as much as they want as long as they come get it, to avoid the hassle.
straw
So sad.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
you could buy a new house
I will gladly buy a new house if you'll help pay for it.
Post removed:
by user
Norseman912
Ryan, it's okay, I don't think you're greedy or evil for wanting to uproot a tree for the sake of expanding your house. S'all good, you own the land, do what you want with it.
Ragoo
AG
sounds like your tree is close to 100 years old, and yes here in Texas Pecan is one of the more preferred woods for BBQ'ing.
Vero143
I bet working for the City makes obtaining permits a breeze for such a task.
Ryan the Temp
AG
You don't need a permit to take down a tree.

100 years is our best guess as to its age. The house was built in 1936 and it has been there at least that long. It pains me to consider taking it down.
Vero143
I was referring to adding onto your house
Ryan the Temp
AG
Nope. I have to go stand in line like everybody else.
Vero143
Jobs without perks.

Pro Sandy
AG
maybe something like these guys

But not this house

Ragoo
AG
If/when you do get it cut, please ry and get a slice of the trunk all the way through, maybe even a couple. Would be a neat memento and also I would like to see the rings. The history it would tell.
Hulla Baller
AG
Vero143
If you do get a slice of the tree, I can refer you to the proper people to age it. I did some graduate work in dendroclimatology and I know of several people that would be interested in dating that specimen.
Human
AG
Great thread...

I'm thinking of buying a lot with about 4 of the size trees the OP referred to. It's one of the last remaining lots in the area I want to build.

The thing is, I have to build my home above the flood stage, yet I've spoken with the Real Esate Agent and there is not Plot.

Anyway, I would love to use the wood for smoking my world famous Briskets.

Oh, and you tree hugger types, can suck it!
Ragoo
AG
quote:
tree hugger can suck it!

fify, LOLZ
progress
AG
reviving this very old thread.
anyone have an idea if there is someone who can take down this pecan tree for bartered wood?
kylewhitener
" I didn't want to cut down that tree. But I had no choice. It was growing right where I'm going to build my house, if I can ever get enough money together to build it and if I also have enough money to buy the land. That's another thing: I need to find out who owns that land. " -Jack Handey
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.