For eric and other old-timers who remember things like The Grove movies!

5,016 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Whoop Delecto
garydavis90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone remember flying Davis Airlines (red fox head on the tail) in/out of Easterwood? How about any of the promo trips that Braniff used to fly around B/CS-takeoff, circle the area and land after about 30-45 minutes. If you told them about where your house was located they would fly you over it. Pretty cool.
NewJerseyAgs
Psych- 86? Were you in the corp or a non-reg? and what have you done with your Psych degree? I was a psych major too

EDIT- I just read what your profession is! I am thinking about venturing into that field.

[This message has been edited by NewJerseyAgs (edited 7/30/2002 11:01a).]
sts7049
AG
ahh memories
marqueebrad
AG
Anybody remember "Dead Solid Perfect", old house converted into a burger joint/bar, behind the **** Hut? They used to make burgers with meat patties almost as big as softballs. One of those with a cold beer - Yum!
mrad85
AG
Flying on Rio Scareways from Easterwood to Dallas.

Always loved when the pilot would turn around and ask if we were warm enough.

jm94
AG
Since this thread began, thousands of Ags have entered A&M as fish and graduated.
Fitch
AG
Back when the grove was still around, didn't they time "We've Never Been Licked" so that everytime the train appeared on the screen the actual train would pass by. At least thats what my mom used to tell me...
Tex Ag 81
AG
Campus Theatre Aggies Frolics, Thursday night at midnight
eric76
AG
jm94 said:

Since this thread began, thousands of Ags have entered A&M as fish and graduated.
Even more now.
oldschool87
AG
Blocker was the coke building, no?
Whoop Delecto
AG
FearNoWeevil
AG
oldschool87 said:

Blocker was first known as the A&A Building..."Academics and Administration"
Spider69
AG
Alphabetic handing out registration packets to "enter" Sibsa" to get an IBM 360 punched card for the class, section you wanted (or getting a highly desired class, section card "for sale nearby") having penciled in your schedule, sections in your schedule booklet trying to get a dream schedule with no Mon morning classes before 10 am, no Fri 2-5 labs! Waiting your turn semester by semester for your last name "alphabetic" letter to get you a "first" in the registration que. Tag teaming buddies in getting highly prized course, section cards! Lines almost all the way around Sibsa just to get in!side! Then your kids registering by phone! Such new Army anti Aggie traditions that NEVER new ol' Army registration processes!
Spider69
AG
The co-pilot seat was a paying passenger, too!
Spider69
AG
Having fish cadets carrying sheet painted signs walk the Kyle Field track in front of the student body during a football game advertising an after game party location and price!

Dorm Spirit signs that hung on outside dorm walls that were better art than anything in Playboy magazine!

fish matches used to light bibs!

Ice cream sacks used as weapons (blown up to be popped) on zips [heads] by fish on "undercover" details in the mess hall!
taxpreparer
AG
Spider69 said:

The co-pilot seat was a paying passenger, too!

Yes, I got to sit in that seat a couple of times in my teens to make a connection at Love Field.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
30wedge
eric76 said:

Happy Hour was great.

I had a program that took about 2,200 cards (a very packed box of cards) that I used to run during happy hour.

I would try to be first in line for happy hour so that I could run it first. That usually took a little bit because with 2,200 cards, there was a fairly good chance that at least one card would jam and everyone in line would have to wait while I went over to a keypunch machine and made a replacement card.

Since it usually took a little while to read all the cards, the printer would usually finish with everything and be idle by the time it finished. The program would run in a couple of seconds. The printer would print every print job that was less than something like 1,500 lines before printing anything longer than that. Since the printer was usually idle when my print job would be queued for printing, it would go ahead and print it. The output was about 75 pages and would make everyone wait a little while more while it printed.

If I wasn't first in line, it would often take two or three hours before the printer had printed all the short listings and would print mine. By being first in line, I could check the results and run it again.
Ah, yes, happy hour. There were often one or two geeks, with their boxes of cards (not saying you were a geek, but the guys with the greasy hair, high water jeans, pocket protector types) and they would take a magic marker and have a lines down the top of the cards, I guess certain commands or special things were at the end or beginning of a color change, I never asked. One time I watched the guy balancing his box of cards in one hand, and he would pull a bunch of cards out, like two inches worth, stack them in the card reader, and as it ran them, he would reach back for another bunch of cards. I noticed he wasn't moving his hand that was under the box of cards. Sure enough, once he had taken enough off one end, the other end being so much heavier caused the box to flip out of his hand and cards went everywhere. I hope he didn't go on to design bridges!
30wedge
3rd Generation Ag said:

There was a house I think called Moms? with home cooked meals that even poor ags could afford. Don't even remember exactly where it was.

And in my Lakeview days, the Cotton Eyed Joe by Al Dean and the All Stars ruled.

I remember that as well and also forgot where it was. She would sit in a chair (maybe a rocker) as I recall and collect the small fee. Ate family style if I am remembering the same place.
30wedge
My roommate was very good friends with Lyle Lovett. Early in the first semester, he told me we needed to go to Gatti's for pizza. I asked him why, He said that Lyle was playing and somebody had to be there to clap for him. I didn't know Lyle from a hole in the wall, but after my roommate either agreed to buy the beer or the pizza (or both), I agreed to go. Sure enough, there wasn't much recognition of his musical efforts at the end of his songs, other than our table of two! I think he turned out ok though. Lyle was a very nice guy and nice to be around. Even though his career had taken off, he came down and sang at my roommate's wedding a few years after we had graduated.
tamc91
AG
When I was a fish in 1987 there was a guy named John Lovett in L-1 in our dorm. We had sophomore privileges one Friday before a game and as we were walking into the dorm, one of our L-1 buddies said John and his cousin were playing guitar In John's room. We got invited in and got to listen to Lyle Lovett and his cousin play for about an hour. It was just after his first album and he was working on 2nd. He was laid back and seemed like a great guy. It was one of just a few times I can say I was in the right place at the right time.

Just googled John Lovett. Looks like he is / was a San Jacinto Co. Judge.
Whens lunch
AG
In addition to Youngbloods...Carrol's Corner and Ralph's Pizza were popular. Miss Ruth at the Ramada Inn was a Mom away from home.

The Peanut Gallery (I think it was) opened when I was there.

Marching to chow at Duncan all three meals.

Registration tables at G. Rollie....Arches at Kyle....sweating in Deware.

In addition to the previously mentioned Wayne Starks......Mr. Gaines and Town Hall at the MSC

Bonfire behind Duncan

Mother's Day...Final Review at the Drill Field
Not when I'm done with it.
oldschool87
AG
FearNoWeevil said:

oldschool87 said:

Blocker was first known as the A&A Building..."Academics and Administration"

T & A
aeon-ag
Sue93 said:

My hubby remembers when the Pavillion was actually a pavillion, where his older sister showed horses... right in the middle of campus.

I saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time at the Grove and the rest of the stuff mentioned by Jan...

Our county show was in the Pavillion.
aeon-ag
Whens lunch said:

In addition to Youngbloods...Carrol's Corner and Ralph's Pizza were popular. Miss Ruth at the Ramada Inn was a Mom away from home.

In addition to the previously mentioned Wayne Starks......Mr. Gaines and Town Hall at the MSC

Bonfire behind Duncan

I saw my first bonfire on the drill field in front of the MSC.
Anyone remember when Col. Adams had the band at the baseball games?
HHAG
AG
Anybody else work at Contemporary Landscapes during their time at TAMU? It was a nursery/landscaping company on North Avenue just inside of the Bryan city limit. I worked there my entire five years of undergrad life. The Fergusons were good folks.
Whens lunch
AG
HHAG said:

Anybody else work at Contemporary Landscapes during their time at TAMU? It was a nursery/landscaping company on North Avenue just inside of the Bryan city limit. I worked there my entire five years of undergrad life. The Fergusons were good folks.
I worked as a waiter at Fontana's for a buck an hour during the summer. Worked my Senior year at the Laboratory Animal Research Center (Vet school thing) feeding and watering the mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils......and in the back room, bunny rabbits the size of German Shepards
Not when I'm done with it.
wbt5845
AG
So many great memories on this thread that New Army will never have.

I remember The Pavilion being a show horse arena - they converted it while I was a student. That's where I picked up my senior ring (with no fanfare, no ring dunks, no big deal). Believe it or not - they used to just hand it to you.

Movies at The Grove during the summer were awesome - we took beer in with us cause no one cared (and the drinking age was 18 anyway).

The T&A building was brand new and a nice place for us engineering students to go sight seeing.

Anyone else go to Mom's up in Bryan for dinner? We used to go on Sunday nights when the dining hall was closed. The "restaurant" was an older lady who just set up a bunch of tables in her house and fed you whatever she'd cooked that day. She had a table at the front with a little cardboard box she made change out of. Her meatloaf was incredible. She'd give us seconds cause she was "gonna throw it out anyway".

Bayside Tiger Ag
wbt5845 said:

The T&A building was brand new and a nice place for us engineering students to go sight seeing.

Tits and ass
Had the bingo-bongos done
Suddenly I'm getting national tours
Tits and ass won't get you jobs unless they're yours
dcAg
Deluxe Burger Bar
Morgenstern's
Dr. G's
MC2
Married housing on campus
taxpreparer
AG
aeon-ag said:

Whens lunch said:

Bonfire behind Duncan

I saw my first bonfire on the drill field in front of the MSC.
Anyone remember when Col. Adams had the band at the baseball games?
I remember the band at basketball games in G Rollie. When they played, that is all you could hear.

My first bonfire was in 69, on the intramural fields off Jersey (Bush.) I was in Jr. High.
taxpreparer
AG

Quote:

Anyone else go to Mom's up in Bryan for dinner? We used to go on Sunday nights when the dining hall was closed. The "restaurant" was an older lady who just set up a bunch of tables in her house and fed you whatever she'd cooked that day. She had a table at the front with a little cardboard box she made change out of. Her meatloaf was incredible. She'd give us seconds cause she was "gonna throw it out anyway".
$1 a head, served family style..
TxFig
AG
I only saw one movie in The Grove. It was either fall of 1983 or spring of 1984.

Best Little *****house in Texas

The place was rockin....
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Whoop Delecto
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.