Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Track & Field

Track & Field Report: Tyra Gittens in-studio on her way to the Olympics

July 16, 2021

Key notes from Tyra Gittens interview

• I leave on July 22. It's next Thursday, and it feels like tomorrow. I'm so excited. I even have my suitcase packed yet because I'm too nervous. I'm just twiddling my thumbs, waiting to go to Tokyo.

• I knew I would go for the long jump, but I was just wondering what my other events would be. Not getting the standard for heptathlon was disappointing. I had the seventh-best score in the world this year, but the world-rankings had me at 25, and the top 24 went. I'm still excited to be going in the long jump, even though I don't focus solely on that event. I have a chance to get on the podium.

• Still, I feel like this is my biggest achievement: I won 17 state championships in high school. That's when I realized I was a good athlete. I knew I wasn't just a high school athlete. I realized I was meant to be a world-class athlete. I always held myself to a higher standard. I wanted to compete with the ages above me. That was always my mindset. In high school, I wanted to compete against the collegiate marks. Once I got to college, it was go time.

• The Bowerman Trophy is the Heisman for Track & Field, given to the top male and female for each season. This is something I've wanted since my freshman year. A former Aggie athlete and fellow Trinidad & Tobago athlete, Deon Lendore, won the Bowerman when he was here, so it would be awesome to win it for my school and my country. I do really want to win it.

• I do smile a lot because I have a lot to smile about. I'm very blessed.

• I knew I wanted to run in the SEC. My top five schools were Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama and Texas A&M. I had actually verbally committed to Arkansas — I'm embarrassed to say that. Something told me to visit Texas A&M, and as soon as I got on campus, something told me I needed to be here. It was a feeling and a need to be here. I love this school and have no regrets about this decision. I love the culture and our traditions.

• I've been binging Netflix a lot. A big part of recovery is mental along with the physical. I've learned I cannot recover unless I shut my brain off 100 percent. Watching Netflix allows me to do that. I have my dog, a glass of wine and my Netflix. You have to be able to relax in our sport. I watch "Zoo," which is basically animals taking over the world. The animals get smart, and humans become the prey. "Manifest" is pretty good too. I watch a lot of movies. I've binged the entire “Harry Potter” series as well as “Lord of the Rings,” and I've watched Step Brothers about five times.

• Coach Brady and I came to Texas A&M at the same time. When we started working together, it was like Step Brothers. “Did we just become best friends? Yup.” He's my soul mate of a coach. He knows what's going on with me and reads me really well. It's a perfect match, and I'm so honored I've been able to train with this coach.

• A lot is going on right now with the precautions in Japan and things we have to do to get into the country. There is a lot of paperwork, and you have to make sure you don't forget anything or else you'll be staying at the airport. We've been staying on top of it.

• It didn't hit me that I am going to the Olympics until this week. I identify myself as a heptathlete. I wasn't secure or confident that I had qualified in the open long jump. I was more nervous than excited. It wasn't until I started training in this one event this summer that it hit me. I've seen myself grow, and now I'm seeing it and feeling it. I'm giving myself pep talks. "Tyra, don't go over there and simp over the other athletes." My hands are shaking because I'm so excited.
Discussion from...

Track & Field Report: Tyra Gittens in-studio on her way to the Olympics

4,228 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Papa Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gig 'em Tyra!
Good luck in Tokyo!!!
taylorswift13
AG
We're proud of you!! Can't wait to cheer you on!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.