Story Poster
Pat Henry Q&A
Kennedy Smith Q&A
Texas A&M Track & Field

Track & Field Report: Kennedy Smith shines during dual meet in Austin

April 7, 2021

Following a dual meet in Austin, Aggie Track & Field returns to College Station for their first home outdoor meet of the season. Ahead of the meet, legendary head coach Pat Henry and senior hurdler Kennedy Smith joined in-studio for our Track & Field Report.

Key notes from Pat Henry interview

• We finished a dual meet with Texas and didn't have the results we wanted to have. We had some good performances, and we have to continue to get better as a team.

• Kennedy Smith had a good weekend. Our high jump went well, and Tyra Gittens looked really good. We've actually stopped her because we don't want her overdoing things right now. Athing Mu and the long relays - both men and women - won.

• We had some things happen that we didn't want, and we have some growing to do. We have some good individuals, but our teams right now needs to understand what it's like to be part of a team. I think they'll come together when it's time to come together.

• A lot of people think track is an individual sport, but it's not. We're still dealing with young people, and a team is important to their ability to be successful. Knowing everybody is there to support you is a huge part of what happens. It's important for athletes in this age range.

• Kennedy has run 13.28 before, and I've said this to our team: Kennedy is one of those athletes that came to A&M and made significant improvements all of the time. When it is time to lineup, she will be at her best on that day. That's what makes Kennedy Smith who she is. There are some athletes who are a little more blessed than she, but if all athletes were able to get everything out of themselves like she does, it would be amazing. That's what makes her unique and who she is.

• Mu ran one of the top two or three 1,500m times in the country. Her range is amazing. We say 400m, 800m and mile, but she can line up and run a good 200m. There are things she wants to do well going forward, and she'll have that opportunity. We will start to zero in on some things that will allow her to be one of the best to have ever run in college.

• The way the schedules are built, it's hard for Mu to double in her events. There are people who have tried to run all of those events, but I don't want to wear her out. She's not home free. There are people who are ready to line up against her, so Mu has to be at her best to win.

• Gittens is ready to do some things, and she will have her first multievent this weekend at home.

• Charokee Young was one of the SEC Athletes of the week. 51.52 right now is her PR, and she's just a sophomore. She is doing extremely well. If Athing Mu wasn't here, people would be focused on Young because of how well she has run.

• If you have a little bit wrong with a Porsche, it doesn't run right. Even if it's just a little bit off, it doesn't run right. Devon Achane is a little tight right now, but we will get through that. He is going to run well at 100m.

Key notes from Kennedy Smith interview

• I did 300m hurdles in high school, and I had thought I had been recruited for both. I think I have more in the tank than just the 100m hurdles. I thought I did pretty well last week.

• I am having a lot of fun. Track season is my favorite season. I got close with the people in the class above me, and it's great to see them all come back for this extra year. I'm savoring my time with my teammates while I have it.

• I'm not satisfied with my time, but I'm not mad about it. It's solid, and it feels great that I know I'm getting better as the race goes on. I need to up my consistency and clear all ten hurdles. It seems like there is one hurdle that gives me trouble in every race.

• Not everybody knows, but the track world knows I'm a crazy makeup girl. A bunch of people have seen that 'horns down photo with the craziest makeup I've ever done. I was also wearing yellow contacts. That was before the race, and I was just being sassy. I'm here to fuel the rivalry.

• I have friends who send me ideas for makeup. There's a list of ideas. I sit down and practice my makeup, and it's a form of meditation for me. I'll do my makeup for three hours on meet day, and it helps me get in the zone.

• The best moment in my track career was my sophomore year at the SEC indoors. The SEC prelims were when I had my breakout. I made finals when I was ranked 30th, so it was a huge deal to make the final. That was the biggest moment for me so far.
Discussion from...

Track & Field Report: Kennedy Smith shines during dual meet in Austin

12,093 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chandlauch
Dalton Hughes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Per coach Henry's request... Who do y'all want to see on our Athlete Spotlight during the Track & Field Report in the coming weeks?
CanHePlayLinebacker
MOITALEL MPOKE
taylorswift13
AG
jakelanier9 said:

MOITALEL MPOKE
triniaggie
AG
It would nice to do all the seniors in their final season. Let's hear how A&M have impacted their lives as an athlete.
taylorswift13
AG
Grad Student, Mays Business Student, All American 800 runner Carlton Orange
fightintxaggie10
AG
To answer Coach's question, Devon Achane! I know that's kinda lame since we all know him from football but he would be a good one to have on.
EagleLM
Multi-event Thrower Josh Brown
taylorswift13
AG
EagleLM said:

Multi-event Thrower Josh Brown
Josh is a senior who has improved like crazy from year to year! From Schulenberg, Texas and was even quarterback for the Shorthorns while winning a state title in discus as well! He would be a great athlete to highlight, I'll vouch for him!
Chandlauch
"KENNEDY SMITH every week!!!"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.