Aggies at the World Track and Field Championships

2,733 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wangus12
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Worlds begin next Friday the 27th. USATF put out the US roster and I counted 4 Aggies on the list: Annie Kunz, Jessica Beard, Donovan Brazier and Fred Kerley. I hope 12thman.com will put out a list next week of Aggies competing there.
mullokag
TRM
AG
We should have quite a few international Aggies competing. The early list has:

Tahar Triki (TJ)
Lathone Collie-Minns(TJ)
Latario Collie-Minns(TJ)
Deborah Acquah (4x1 Relay)
Bralon Taplin(400)
Lindon Victor (Dec)
Deon Lendore(4x4 Relay)
coldmoose
Looking forward to seeing them compete.
TRM
AG
Event schedule and broadcast times in the article. They don't mention Triki but he should be competing for Algeria - going by Yasser Triki.

https://12thman.com/news/2019/9/25/track-and-field-world-championships-in-doha-next-international-stage-for-aggies.aspx
TRM
AG
Tahar, Latario, and Lathone didn't advance to the TJ finals.
TRM
AG
Brazier advanced to the 800M semis.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Jessica Beard on the mixed 4x400 team !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Oogway
Donovan Brazier makes the 800 m final along with B Hoppel and C Murphy.
TRM
AG
Brazier wins.

Sub4
AG
Donovan Braizer could go down as the best athlete to have ever attended Texas A&M. Time will tell.
wangus12
AG
Brazier is a bad man. Taking down a 34 y/o record
Pahdz
Ballsy third 200m and it worked. So much stronger now, incredible season.
mullokmotx
AG
Saw Donovan run at the national championships in Des Moines in July. I was in the 2nd row about 90 yards from the finish line and in each race he looked so strong in the home stretch. I give him a lot of credit .He didn't make it out of the first round at the Olympic Trials in 2016 but he worked hard and is now World Champion.
Seeing him win also makes me appreciate what a great recruiter and coach Pat Henry is.
Annie Kunz starts the heptathlon today just after 9 AM.
Oogway
I believe Fred Kerley runs in the 400m semi-finals today as well.
Oogway
....Aaaaand he wins his semi-final. Looked strong. Good luck to him!
Ed Marcinkiewicz
Folks forgetting Annie Kunz who is off to great start in the multi.
TRM
AG
How's Lindon Victor doing as well? He's supposed to be in the mix for the bronze.
Ed Marcinkiewicz
Lindon sitting third but very close to top two and still alive in high jump. Mayer looked to be on and he is almost unbeatable when he is like that but he tweaked something on his last high jump. We will see how he looks in 400. Annie is fifth after first day with three season's bests. She missed her best in 200 by .10. She should finish top ten with solid marks on day two. It will be very difficult for her to be in the medals. Phenomenal end of season for her.
mullokmotx
AG
Annie Kunz got off to a great start with a career best in the hurdles. So far she is really making the most of her opportunity. She came into the competition ranked 27th in the world and the 29th highest score in 2019. Decent performances on day 2 should give her a great chance for a top 10 finish.
Pahdz
HUGE opportunity for Fred with Norman pulling up lame in his semi, but James and Gardiner looked better than Fred in their semi
wangus12
AG
Hope Norman recovers. I think Kerley and him can go 1-2 next year.
wangus12
AG
Lindon scratched all 3 times on the discus, including putting the final throw into the net. Drops him from 4th to 19th.

Mayer just tried to pole vault and I don't think he can finish this. He is in a ton of pain
wangus12
AG
Yeah he pulled up twice on the pole vault. Stood up, clapped to the crowd and walked off.
mullokmotx
AG
Annie Kunz finished in 13th place with 6067 points. If she was able to match her personal best in all 7 events she would score almost 6700 points, which would have been a silver medal today. The Olympic qualifying standard is 6420 points, so she needs to find a way to get that. It looks like each country can only send 3 competitors, so she will need to finish 3rd at the Olympic Trials. It looks like the IAAF could use an athlete's world ranking to invite athletes who don't have the qualifying standard to have a field of 24, so she would need to be the top American without the standard. Currently she is the 4th American in the world rankings. This year she was the 5th highest American performer. Only 2 Americans have the Olympic qualifying standard.
She has certainly made great strides since taking up the heptathlon full time after her soccer career ended.
wangus12
AG
Kerley gets bronze in the 400
Pahdz
Not surprised by that result, Gardiner easily looked the best in the semis
wangus12
AG
Kerley gets some redemption by running the opening leg of the 4x400. Gold medal
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.